AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:16 am 

Hello to my water volleyball brethren in Austin!

First I do apologize for not making more time this summer to be in contact with you guys. I will simply say that while I am working hard to grow my own business, we too suffered our weekend water volleyball setbacks.

I think that it all started on July 4 weekend in which my peeps and I played all day for 3 consecutive days. Several residents complained and ultimately we had all water volleyball taken away EXCEPT for 1-6 PM on Saturdays. The net isn't even up at other times. They now let us set it up on Saturdays when we're ready to play.

Through it all, I happy to say that I still have some level of respect with the Ilume management. Because one of my new players this year pointed out to me last Tuesday evening that Saturday's weather was shaping up to almost ensure that the water would be too chili for us to play in and have a really good time. As such, I started my request process to get the pool under heat. It worked flawlessly and we had some of our best games all season this past weekend.

Now: Another Post Season Invitation

We are interested in seeing if you guys would like to come back to Dallas for another tournament. I am sure that if you are able to bring just 1 team, better if more, but I am sure that I can assemble at least 2 teams to make it a really fun and competitive time for all. In addition to having Stevie Ray to DJ again, I would be able to get the Cedar Springs Tap House to sponsor the event in the pool area with beer, cocktails, etc. The Cedar Springs Tap House is one of the Ilume commercial spaces on the front of the building that will open for business this week. I have already built a great relationship with Brand Manager and he's looking for opportunities like this to help get the word out about their new location and for it to become folks' destination.

I am open to whatever weekend that you guys select and say you can make it. We can plan around your date(s). However, I would hope that it could be on before October 11 weekend. I would like to avoid the ambient air temperature being too cold to support playing, even with the water being warm.

So, talk amongst yourselves and let us know what you want/can do. However, I can tell you that any victory that you (think) you can achieve, it will NOT be so easy as it was for you last year. I would hope that I have learned my lessons from last year's defeat that our mistakes made during last year's games will not be repeated.

As always, Bring Your A-Game, and let's play some ball.

sm (aka Dallas Chief)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:27 pm 

Chief to Chief:

I'm glad to hear from you again, albeit in less than perfect circumstances in your hood.

I'm afraid you are learning some of the same lessons I learned. Popularity breeds hubris on the part of your players (our pool, we can do whatever we want, whenever we want), and contempt (from the growing army of non-playing haters).

To speak the truth, all my boys who made the journey have positive things to say about the welcome we received at the Ilume, and would like to do so again.

Austin season is basically at an end, and it still warm out. This saddens us.

I am honored to receive a second invitation. My Pandas are hard to herd, otherwise you would have my acceptance right now. I'm sure I can get a team together, by early to mid October--your pool still heated?

Thank you generous hosts. I think it's good for the larger league to have another meeting. If you'd like, I would be willing to meet with you and your manager to answer the how full of shit are we question. We're about good volleyball, and having fun, and doing it in a way that's sustainable, and will give an apartment complex a reputation for same, that distinguishes you from other places. That's what's important.

I hope you have learned from our last encounter. And I look forward to seeing how much you've been able to do over a season.

Like I said after the last time we played, whichever way it goes through best of 3 (possibly through the 2 teams you mentioned, I doubt I can come with more than 1.5, but we'll face down what you got), let's mix it up, so we learn to play together, and talk about it after at the watervolleyball bar you created.

Nothing but respect for what you've been doing, Dallas Chief, and that's from me and all of mine.

Hope to see you soon.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:48 am 

Roll call for Dallas trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:11 am 

I'm in.

October 11 is the UT - Oklahoma game in Dallas.

Would probably be good to not do it that weekend.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 pm 

That means we would have to do the weekend of either October 4, or October 18. Those dates are both Saturdays, but we have had lots of folks ask for Sunday to be the date we play. Are you guys open to a Sunday game day? I meet with Cedar Springs Tap House tomorrow at 5 PM to discuss details for what we can do and when we can do it. They will certainly help in getting Ilume to let us amp it up a bit.

Please let me know as soon as possible. We need lead time to create marketing material and get the word out.

We are looking forward to whatever we can pull together.

Thanks,
sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:07 am 

Since it's a special occasion, can we do both Saturday and Sunday (early-ish?).

As you know, this is a drinking man's game, and Pandas will have a more difficult time getting all ramped up to fight, do the AAR bar thing, and then have to make the journey home to work on Monday if we have to make it all happen in a 1 day event.

I'm thinking the Oct 19 date sounds most reasonable, and am starting to turn up the heat to get commitments now.

On that note, I'm not seeing a lot of responses, people. Roll call!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:18 am 

Dallas Chief,

I think I can bring the same team. Waiting on absolute confirmation from all concerned. 10/19 seems to be the most reasonable expectation for game.

Looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:36 am 

I say Saturday October 18th.

I don't think making this a one day event on a Sunday sounds very good.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:40 am 

We could still have a Saturday get together for some games, but I think that Sunday is the better day for being able to have up to 4 teams play. I will discuss these dates with everybody this evening and see what we can get Ilume and Cedar Springs Tap House to commit to.

Also, we have discussed having a $50 / person ($250 / team of 5) that half of would pay for some of the party, but the remaining half is awarded to the winning team. Would this be good with you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 pm 

StevenMcFarland wrote:
Also, we have discussed having a $50 / person ($250 / team of 5) that half of would pay for some of the party, but the remaining half is awarded to the winning team. Would this be good with you guys?

$50 buy-in and best case the AWVP breaks even?

I don't think so.

We gotta drop some money on this showdown too, with gas and hotel expenses.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 pm 

Here's my point:

If y'all have 1 team and we have 1 team, the best we can do on the bet is break even.

And we will be paying to make the journey up to Dallas already.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:03 pm 

I don't want to pay shit unless it's a fair bet.

8)

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:46 am 

There are many voices in Panda Corps. Dan is one of them.

Sunday better for you, bad for us. We get the long drive home with the workday looming. 2 day event preferable. We have learned how to do noon start times, so we can make a day of it on Sunday as well.

Here's a suggestion. Let's call down a conference call on Friday or thereabouts a week before kickoff and see what we all want to do and what's practicable. Fair?

Seemed to work the last time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:50 am 

I have sobered up and I'm now more receptive to the bet as long as there are more than 2 teams.

If there are only two teams, this bet doesn't work.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm 

OK, guys, I just want to make sure there is no misunderstanding here. This is NOT a bet. We are looking to simply raise some $$$ to pay for the party. The money will go mostly to pay for 1) food, 2), drinks, 3) a DJ, & 4) a purse of prize money to the winning team. We want to do this as the Ilume Cup and just have a really fun time playing. I am sure that you know it costs money to put on events, and this is one that I think I can really buy a lot for the money folks contribute to helping make it all happen. We literally have TABC and food service authorities to contend with, thus we have to plan for doing it right (fully complaint with the law) in order to make it happen. I have even discussed marketing this event out as the Second Annual Ilume Water Volleyball Tournament. Management here seemed to like it and is looking for me to bring them an event plan so they can put their name on it. They've said that we could open it up to anyone wanting to put forth a team, and REALLY have some fun for ourselves and the other residents that "tolerate" our incessant need to play competitive water volleyball. Yeah, it's about a team of guys winning at their game, but it is also about a lot more than that. We are very open to your input for helping make it a great, fun day for all. October 18 is now our only day to plan for. Can we plan for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:10 pm 

StevenMcFarland wrote:
October 18 is now our only day to plan for. Can we plan for that?

Saturday October 18th is good.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:15 pm 

Are you going to have those boundary ropes again?

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:18 am 

Steve,

As you can tell from his more sober posts, Dan got his mind right. Me and mine are in and willing to contribute at the reasonable $50 rate you suggested.

Gosh, I wish I could've expressed to some of my pandas that parties cost $. I funded and did 5 beer runs in one day...

But that was in a time long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

The way things stand the last I heard, we will bring 5-6 players, maybe more, but not less. Almost all will be familiar faces to you.

If it's an Ilume Cup challenge you seek, my boys have expressed interest in keeping whatever team we bring together to face all teams/opponents you can assemble. Because that is something different than the best of 3 and mix it up I had suggested.

I will go with what the majority of my players want, which seems to be along the lines of what you have in mind. Best of the best it is. As long as we only have to take on one team at a time, of course!

Repetitive, I know, but coordinate with Dan, so we can have another conference call the week before action to iron out any details. It worked well before, so it should work again. Do you agree?

This will be a lot of fun. The headaches are in the planning. But that's what Chiefs do.

There is interest on both sides in making this happen. So let it be written, so let it be DONE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:37 pm 

While it is looking like we will not be able to assemble the best of the best AWVP superteam to bring to Dallas, Chief and I are gung-ho about the challenge and we're in.

Who's with us??

:partyman:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:59 pm 

Great! Let's do this! I am still negotiating details, but Ilume, Cedar Springs Tap House, and others are working with me to put on the event, including a couple of kegs of beer, food, music, MC, awards ceremony (around circular fireplace w/pictures), and a victory celebration for the winner at the Tap House. We are also seeing if we can get Jager to sponsor shots at the event.

With you guys coming (5 of you minimum, please!!!), then we should have 4 teams that will be able play that day. I have a preliminary timed schedule in for approval, but we will (MUST) adhere to the schedule that gets approved.

I am hoping to guarantee you that you will have a much better time here this year than you did last year. I know that last year was really fun, but I think that this year will be better!!! We are indeed looking forward to your return to Dallas and Ilume!

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:09 pm 

Oh, and 1 more thing! I budgeted for the winner's purse to be $500.00 cash. That is what has been proposed for prize with the remaining $$$ to pay for event. In order to be fully compliant with Dallas zoning restrictions and TABC rules/laws, I will be handing over the full amount to Ilume so that they can make the purchases of beer, food, etc. There are many laws and community rules that must be followed. If we do good, then I am sure the Third Annual Ilume Cup competition will be even better.

See you in 18 days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:46 am 

We will be there. Let's do a conference call to confirm a week before, like we did the last time, to shore up any loose ends.

Looking forward to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXL2RQLP-0k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 am 

This should be fun,

Those who can't go to Dallas for the game submit their excuses, so they can be evaluated by the league office:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucgU2DJlBiw

I've been very lenient along these lines in the past. Not this time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:11 am 

EXCUSE ROLL(ROLE?) CALL

Let me get this started, "Chief is a poopy head, and I like cheese. That is why I refuse to go to Dallas."

That is boilerplate! I expect better! Excuse yourselves like you've got a pair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am 

Status update as far as I know:

In
1. Chief
2. Creepy
3. Jethro

Maybe
1. College Boy
2. Scott
3. Goliath
4. Jarrod
5. Lip

Unlikely but Possible
1. Pat
2. Ford

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 pm 

17 days to go. Tick tick tick tick tick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:35 pm 

I have confirmation from Ilume that we are indeed on for our tournament party on Saturday, October 18, 2014 from 1 - 6 PM. It is imperative that all players be at Ilume ready to play by noon on game day. We have a program that we will be following and you guys will be 1 of 4 teams of 5 players each. It could be possible for up to 6 players per team, but I think the others around here want to keep it to just 5 players.

We are 15 days away from another great water volleyball event. We are looking forward to you guys coming back up.

I will need first and last names of each player that will be playing on your team. We are looking to be able to introduce each player on each team using their FirstName "Nickname" LastName. Ex: Steven "Coach" McFarland, or Kurt "Gazelle" Daws.

Let me know what else we need to do/plan for. Austin Chief: Let's do that conference call anytime you want to. Perhaps next Saturday morning (Oct 11) anytime before noon.

Thanks,
Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:04 am 

Kevin Nibbe, aka, Chief. position: point guard--5' 10 1/2, 137. 23rd year in the league.

Alternatively, Reese, Sergeant tech com, in the 45th under Perry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YIn-fCh6pU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:14 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJCB-yq1Go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:49 pm 

Update:

In
1. Chief