AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Season Opener AAR 6/2/08
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:22 pm 

O, glorious day for fight. We worship at the foot of the Gods who make such a day possible. They gaze on us with love and benevolence and bless us as their favorites. The healing waters of the Obstacle cosset us in their embrace, rendering irrelevant the withering gaze of the Father Orb. Father Orb watches his children, the mini Orbs set in flight to reenact the pageantry of the heavens--the passage of the Great Orb through the sky. We loft our orb to its parabolic pinnacle, where it pauses, contemplating the pain about to be inflicted upon it. Accelerated by perfect swing, in harmony with the ritualistic impartation of force. Yet, our fine Orb desires not the touch of the healing waters, finding hands to be lifted again towards its father. Again and again the ritual is repeated, honoring Father Orb in the sky with Bacchanalian revelry. The animals of the land provide themselves for our sustenance and we enjoy them with our comrades. We celebrate the passing of the years since Panda compatriots Juice and Mini Pants were brought into this world.

A new squad, the Young Guns (such will they be called until a new name reveals itself to them), for one day stood atop the pinnacle of the Association, looking triumphantly down upon the vanquished. This team, never before having together graced the waters of the Obstacle, formed of Attorney Scott, Ford, Edub, and Sheriff, vanquished first the Vets. The Vets, albeit missing their former MVP Pants, replaced by a reappearing Navy, fought valiantly, possessing on their service hand the potential to win the battle. It was not to be, as sets intended for the hand of the Savior traversed the net, only to be sent with vicious intent into the waters. The opportunity lost, on this day the sun set on the opportunity for Vet glory, 16-14, though they fought and lost with honor and an injured Jimback, courtesy of the one known as Lard Guard.

Onward to another challenge, as there is little time for rest in the pursuit of everlasting fame. This challenge--the Vet Killers, vanquishers of the Vets in the waning moments of the Old Argosy. Would the Vet Killers reign again atop the Association? Or would the upstart team rise up again to claim their cherished crown? The God of Fight lived within the heart of every warrior on this day, never more making His presence felt than in this battle, closely contested and of the quality of purest gold. The crowd, sensing the gravity of the moment, murmured, then roared their approbation for the combatants. The orb, stubborn and lacking compassion for the quest of the fighters, desires the touch of hands, not water. Hard fought points punctuated by screams of anguish or excitement. Adrenaline, that nectar of the God of Fight, courses through the veins of those concerned. Attorney Scott, large at the net, makes his presence felt like a young Achilles. Ford beats the Orb like Maximus, as if it killed his family, often with his developing left hand. Edub, adjusting to the healing waters, gently lofts the Orb into the air to be banged by his teammates, sharp serves leave his right hand, and hard spikes find the water. The combatants revel in the moment, are elevated by the level of play, and know that these are the moments upon which heroes are weaned. Alas, only one team ascends to glory. On this day, the Young Guns triumphed, converting a 8-4 deficit into a 15-9 victory with a Vet Killer-jarring 11-1 run. Perhaps on another day the hand of history shall pen another story, but for this moment, on this day, the Young Guns reigned supreme, champions over the best the AWVP could send against them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:23 pm 

So writes your humble scribe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:19 pm 

Nice writing...dont know if half the visitors will be able to read it, but it was some great story telling...also, nice lard guard finishing comment...you had to know The Lip would respond as in he pretty much owned everyone, but Juice on Saturday...and yes i said everyone as in Jess, Sheriff, Brokeback and the rest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:03 am 

When you say Gods, do you refer to the God of Serve, the God of Dig, the God of Set, the God of Spike and the God of Block?

Glitterbug, how clean boys get dirty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:11 pm 

Yes. There is also the God of Shame-Humping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:04 pm 

One of these days we'll have to do these bronze gods go to war matchups as best of 3.

My recollection on Saturday was that the Lip, although he played well, was largely zipped as the day wore on (Lip-o-sucktion?). There were also some crazy runs on that day--I personally hate being down a lot of points early, though rallying can be kind of fun.

You'd also no doubt find it amusing that Travis blocked the Tin Man twice in rapid succession on the same play. That's Obstacle training for ya!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:21 pm 

Chief wrote:

You'd also no doubt find it amusing that Travis blocked the Tin Man twice in rapid succession on the same play. That's Obstacle training for ya!

spoons did also :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 pm 

I am touching myself right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:59 pm 

i think the challenge games are fun as shit. and everybody steps it up and plays well. maybe we should king of the mountain more often. vets and vet killers play to see who plays the young guns? also, ive heard crawfish and lj talkin bout teams, will needs a home now. maybe watchin these challenge games will spawn some new teams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:13 pm 

Who locked these teams down?!? For starters, Scott and Edub should be on Crawfish's and my team... I personally think the young guns team's wins were flukish considering the vets had to have navy for 2nd year in a row, and Edub took Will's spot for the supposed "young guns" because Will was awol... That team cannot keep winning because the passing and serving will catch up to it...

That being said Crawfish and I just need to find a finisher to take down all those teams...And dont put names out there like Tinman, and the Sanders, etc...Everyone knows what I mean by a finisher, not a fluffer...

We will happily take Will and Edub or Scott, than run away w/ the W's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:51 am 

ask edub and scottie if they would rather play with you..they can have the final word

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:54 am 

And I will play more called games...Best of three is much better in terms of braggin' rights than just one game. As long as we call them out the week before there shouldn't be any bitching or excuses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:42 am 

The Lip wrote:
Who locked these teams down?!? For starters, Scott and Edub should be on Crawfish's and my team... I personally think the young guns team's wins were flukish considering the vets had to have navy for 2nd year in a row, and Edub took Will's spot for the supposed "young guns" because Will was awol... That team cannot keep winning because the passing and serving will catch up to it...

That being said Crawfish and I just need to find a finisher to take down all those teams...And dont put names out there like Tinman, and the Sanders, etc...Everyone knows what I mean by a finisher, not a fluffer...

We will happily take Will and Edub or Scott, than run away w/ the W's...

dude shut the fuck up, you weren't even here... no one wants to be on your team.. scrub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:16 am 

Hmm...trust me...I can tell exactly what happened w/o being there...you passed when you should have hit, flexed when there was no reason, missed at least 2 serves in the game, navy faulted at least 3 serves and used ill advised sand moves in the water, the other team moved the ball to pick on chief and navy when they were in front, chief got many good serves, but went over too many times on 2nd hit, mikey carried team, but alas was undermanned...

Now I ask To the people that witnessed and played, Does that accurately sum up that particular match?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:15 am 

I know L.J. that you asked for the people who witnessed and played. I however only saw the game and did not play, unfortunately for the Vets.
The score was 16-14 as I recall and that makes for a very small margin of error. However, I would like to touch on some things that you pointed out.
1. Back played well and did his best. I saw no flex-bone. He passed only when outmatched.
2. Navy played as best he could considering he hasn't seen water since his last game. Probably not even this year.
3. Kevin served very well and I'm pretty sure was the point leader. I only saw 2 serves hit the net. Once again a very small margin of error.
4. Mikey doesn't play one and out. He farts around the first game and kills the second and third. [Sorry Mikey....you know it's true.]
The only reason I can see that the vets lost is because they did not play team ball and Young Guns did. So once again L.J. you are completely off-base. I love you to death L.J. and think you are a great asset to watervolleyball, but you are incorrect. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:00 am 

That was beautiful outline of the events...I laughed my ass off...Also, probably the most sober and easily understood post I have ever read by you...Appreciate the love man...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:44 pm 

I had to give up the hard stuff, but if it makes you feel any better I was on 2 Tylenol and 3 beers. :roll:
Kick some vet ass for me today L.J. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:27 pm 

lj i know youre the lip and that's what you like to do. if you have fun just talkin shit, cool. another thing you could do is gather a team and come play. quit tryin to take my players and dont worry about our name. and if you actually won, imagine what it would be like! you could talk so much shit, it would be like a dream come true. our team has never played together and we might not keep winning. hopefully no one will. that means that other teams will be stepping up their game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:07 pm 

that would be a dream shit talking scenario...i wish i had thought of that angle that you pt out...since scott is over 30, as crawfish and me are, we will take him and find our 4th...most likely tj...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:14 pm 

Speaking of teams, what the hell are they? Someone should post what the teams are so there is no confusion. Is Will still available or did E-dub take his place? Are we going with a 5 man roster or 4?? WTF? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:34 pm 

young guns

wescott
edb
atty scott
me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:35 pm 

So let me get this right. You guys took E-dub instead of Will?? You should probably check with Wescott to make sure. If that is true, I'm gonna start calling you guys the Young Dumbs. Yeah, I like the sound of that.
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:48 pm 

No offense to Will, who is an excellent blocker and has improved his spike even over the last week, but Edub is a better all-around player. Particularly in the areas of finishing with both hands, serving, and setting Edub is better. Like I said, no offense to Will, who keeps getting better, but for a team with no true "point guard" (more like a couple combo guards, I guess?), the setting and serving abilities of Edub make him the clear choice. So yes, Deto, I agree with Ford. Is it a bad sign to agree with a notorious Chango?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:06 pm 

Just makin sure. Don't want to step on any toes. I'm just trying to scrape together another sqaud. Another..... :roll:
What the fuck is a Chango?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:31 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEHqXDe4HgE
I want Willie!!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:08 pm 

Hey L.J. , did you get that thing I sent you??? 8)
I'm trying to get Will's # and L.J.'s #. HELP MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! :shock:
Thanks FORD!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:17 pm 

Just talked to Will. Its On like Donkey Kong!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:26 pm 

The only thing I can say from all this is that Wescott, Ford, E-Dub, and Scotty can't be called the 'Young Guns' considering 2 of them are over 30. Other than that, they have a solid team, and I look forward to playing them again in a best of 3 game. As for the games you guys won, though, congrats...and there should be no excuses from the other teams. Let it be known that the vet killers did have a big lead in their game, but fell apart some how...maybe the b-day drunkness? I dunno, but I'm not using that as an excuse considering we all drink a lot out there.

We do need to have more called best of 3 games, though, that shit is the most fun to be had during water volleyball.

LJ, why don't you get Crawfish, TJ, and Wilbur? That'd be a pretty solid team. A more solid team would probably be Crawfish, TJ, Wilbur, and Lloyd, though. :shock: Ooops...did I just say that :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :lol: 8) :shock: :bear:

--------------------------------------------------------
"If rubbin' frozen dirt in your crotch is wrong...hey, i don't wanna be right."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 pm 

i think ya'll are missing the point, deto is trying to find a team... deto have you spoken with doc, spoons, jake, alan, i don't believe these people have formed a team yet :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:13 pm 

I'm perfectly willing to play best of 3's, as I said earlier on this thread. As for the name, that too is up for change. I'm not sure about Dingleberry Pickers, though...