AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:54 pm 

Here are links to a few videos of WV action in Fort Smith, AR. Like you guys, we wore out our welcome at the apartment complexes, so one of our guys built a pool designed just for WV. It is heated and lighted, so we play year round. If you guys get the itch for a road trip, put together a few 4-man teams and come up to play (or "fight", as you guys say).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra0pXhE1KYs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsLaFCvcSbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJtrk_j3m_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqbczIsWwFY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:58 pm 

Hell yeah we have at least 4 that are down and fiending.
How bout Turkey Weekend :?:
:drinkers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:57 pm 

We were talking about playing that Sunday...is that the 25th? I'm sure you guys would rather play on a Saturday so you can travel up on Friday PM and return on Sunday (my map program indicates a 6-7 hour drive). The guy that owns the pool will be out of town for Thanksgiving and I don't know off hand when he'll be back. I'll have to check with him. I'm sure we could get 4 scheduled for that weekend if he'll be back in time.

Do you really think you can get 4 guys to road trip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:23 am 

I was thinking leave thursday pm and ball wreckin for 2 and a half days straight :lol: We have 4 right now ready maybe more. Talk to your buddy and see whats up. Looking forward to meetin drinkin and ballin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:16 am 

I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from him. If we can't make it happen on Thanksgiving weekend, would a regular weekend later on still be worth the trip for you guys?

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that we don't allow any touching of the net while the ball is in play. We've had teams come over from Little Rock that play what we call jungle ball (slamming the ball over the net) and they had a lot of trouble making the adjustment. Will your guys be ok with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:06 am 

We are all about jungle, will be interesting to see the change.

Don't you have trouble with enforcement of that rule? Our savages would end up arguing every other point. :roll:

I will be in India for many longtimes so I won't make a trip until sometime next year, but I am totally down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:13 am 

I think we could make the adjustment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:09 pm 

Or Monkey dunking as we say, we have tried to make this a rule but never stuck, alway some monkey all in the net. We would honor your rule, its your pool :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:12 pm 

big horse this is big daddy, ya'll ain't queer are ya'll?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:14 pm 

i know this is a fake post because i've seen those clips before, not from AR... fucking amueters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:31 pm 

p wrote:
Don't you have trouble with enforcement of that rule? Our savages would end up arguing every other point. :roll:

Many times, as you can imagine, the only one who knows it is the one who did it, so enforcement is completely on the honor system. A similar call is when you go up on a block and the ball barely grazes your finger. No one else knows for sure, but you have to make the call. If a guy doesn't and he gets called out (you never know when one or two guys see the net bounce or the ball slightly change direction or rotation), he goes home and doesn't come back.

This isn't a situation where as many guys who want to play show up and get worked in. The guy who owns the pool invites 7 other guys and we play best-of-three matches, rotating the lineups so that everyone gets to play with everyone. If someone is even suspected of being a cheater, he simply does not get invited back. By doing this, we have managed to play for a couple of decades or so with very few cross words and nothing even close to a fight. It makes it much more enjoyable.

We have about a dozen or so "regulars" and most of us have been playing together for 15-20 years, with a couple of guys approaching 25 years. We are all friends outside of volleyball and being honest with one another is more important than winning a volleyball game. Besides, if any of us became known as someone who would cheat by not making the call (again, how are you sure someone didn't see it?), we wouldn't be asked back and there is nowhere else to play, much less a place to play that is this nice. We're out there for the fun and exercise.

If a guy can play an entire game playing the way we play (much less play the entire day) and not get close enough to the net to occassionally touch it, he either will not block any kills (and probably take a few balls to the face) or he's a cheater. Even our best blockers have to call net a few times. If we see a net violation that is not called, we'll simply ask you to leave, whether it's the first game or the last. That could make for a long drive for nothing, so if any of your guys would cheat to win a volleyball game, you might want to leave them at home. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:39 pm 

I talked with the guy who owns the pool. He wants to play just one day in the interest of keeping peace on the homefront (remember, this is his home and his family will be there). Since this is new and we don't know any of you guys, we need to keep it small the first time out. He said we can play one day, on Saturday, with four of you versus four of us. If you stay in the pool, drink your share of brew, and play every game, six hours of ball will seem like a lot more, anyway.

You could drive up on Friday, play Saturday, and drive back on Sunday and get home at a decent hour. I understand if you feel that that's not enough ball to justify the trip, but that's what he is willing to do. Let me know and we can start working on the details. By the way, if you decide to come, bring that Jim Back character if he's any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:31 pm 

I'm all about playing ball, whatever the restrictions. If T day weekend is a little busy and rushed, I'm available again 2nd week of December (back to Cali for first week) and straight on til morning after that.

I trust my pandas will inform me when this is going down and who wants to go? Once we guage the interest and availability, we can determine how to select the "Fab Four"

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:38 pm 

Oh yeah, and one critically important question, whenever this battle royale goes down--do they have Natty Light and Sailor Jerry in Arkansas, or do we have to bring it with us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:00 pm 

i think i know who bighorse is, and i don't like it one bit :snakeman:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:01 pm 

If this is for real, then I'm in...I already know I'm included in that fab 4 :)

--------------------------------------------------------
"If rubbin' frozen dirt in your crotch is wrong...hey, i don't wanna be right."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:04 pm 

I count three so far who say they're game for next weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:26 pm 

OK guys, so far I count me, Jethro, OJ. I'd hate to have any further disappointments this season, so if you want to do this, let's really try to make it happen.

Don't say you want to go and then get high & wander off. We need a committed 4 man squad pronto so we can do some planning and get back in touch with our opponents.

Who's with me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:58 pm 

For those who think this is BS and that the videos aren't ours, here are a couple of pics. One is today's Fort Smith paper with the pool from the videos in the background. The other is a Google Earth aerial of the house and pool.

We've got four of our best players locked in for the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so if you're waiting to confirm that this is legit before you commit, tell Chief that you're in and make the trip. By the way, we quit using one ball years ago. We keep about 30 balls around the pool for when they go outside the netting around the pool. We pick them up when we get out to go take a piss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:39 pm 

I believe! We're totally doing this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:18 pm 

chief, if you want to take some monkeys all the way to arkansas to beat up on some bishs... be my guest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:18 pm 

Wow...well, last night I started to have my doubts and thought the trip wouldn't be worth 6 hrs. of play, buuut.....that fuckin' place looks like a water volleyball heaven. Isn't that where the OJ is supposed to be? I'm in.

...I wonder in there's any video game studios in Ft. Smith;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:23 pm 

Shit that is heaven :lol:
Lets do it we got 4 right now :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:25 pm 

With Jethro and me that makes 3. I've heard T2 & Ford mentioned as the possible fourth horseman of the apocalypse. Apparently the MVP winners/vet squad members have better things to do, since I haven't heard much from either one of them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:48 pm 

man im gonna be in longview, texas which i think is about five hours away but the more i think about it i might drive up there

Last edited by fordtough on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:00 pm 

I've also got friends in Fayetteville. We'll work out the details this weekend. I want to be able to provide our generous hosts with a master plan early next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:02 pm 

yeah ill try to figure out my decision this weekend too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:11 pm 

Chief wrote:
Apparently the MVP winners/vet squad members have better things to do, since I haven't heard much from either one of them...

Bloweth me, I will be in St Louis for T-day, and then in India. I shall spike on you in a foreign land at the first opportunity, Chief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:22 pm 

I hate to be a party pooper, but it looks like its going to be cold. I know the pools heated, but that doesn't mean you can play in any weather. Trust me, I'm from the north...we know all about heated pools. I'm not going to make the trip if it's cold...that's all I'm saying.

Fort Smith, AR
Sat
Nov 24 Partly Cloudy
50°/32°

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:32 pm 

I've been watching the weather since we started this discussion and it has changed every single day. There have been many times when we've started playing with the daylight temperature in the 50's and, as the sun goes down, have the temperature drop into the mid- to high-30's by the time we were finished. With the pool water at 90 degrees, 50 and partly cloudy would not be unbearable (a little whiskey never hurts when it's cold :lol:) and we could start early enough so that we're finished before sunset. If the forecast drops much lower than 50, I would say we should reschedule, but we won't cancel on our end if we have 50 and a little sunshine. I bet you guys have played before when the air temperature was in the high-60's and the water temperature was in the low-70's (I've seen one of your videos when 3 or 4 of you had on wetsuit tops). This will definitely be better than that, and we've certainly played when it was colder.