AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pre 4th Sunday
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:12 pm 

OMG. Where were all the people yesterday? Beaucoup turnout today, including several new and newish people who didn't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKNWES2_4k

So turnout didn't suck. But numbers make administration more difficult, in all sorts of ways.

You don't win, you've got a problem. Long times on the bench, and riding with dry teams that might not exactly be of your choosing/lacking in firepower. Such was my fate today. Zero wins. Zero. And thanks for putting pedal to the metal on the mother-daughter shirted team that waited 4 games to play. I get it--slaughter mode, and good training for the 4th, where you gotta get em in and get em out, so the next team can play. But this is 7/2, not 7/4, you dicks.

I did, however, get to see what would count as an Argosy squad, in that it contained players who all played there, fare pretty damn well today.

Good for them. But I'm filing a protest with the league office. I have NEVER been allowed to put together an Argosy squad this year, or last year, if memory serves--always broken up. I guess our reputation precedes us...

There were good games today, and some fantastic rallies. To make up for yesterday, I'll point out a couple sneaky Sailor plays and good serving--there, you got your balloon. Jess and Scott were today's big hitters. Hey, Taz, look what happens when you stand a bit off the net. New York had a blast or two. Those who wish to honor themselves further may do so as addenda to this report.

So there was good play. But not entirely consistently. There are still a lot of service errors, people. We're a month into the season now. Need to step it up. On my end, I need to take more risks of service errors(!) to put more tools in the toolbox, because too many of mine just go straight down the middle. Almost always in on serve if it's the same serve is like over on 1. Not gonna work for ya. Also, watch your nets.

Back to positivity. There were more than a few wins on the sun side. Credos to any team that pulls that off. Because, in Kenny Rogers/Gambler sports book, I'd say sun side when extra nasty sunny is -3/5 points minimum, depending on the composition of the team.

This of note: TJ the larger has been playing watervolleyball since 1984! His 33 years but my 25 to shame, and together we probably match Old Man Dick.

I took one for the league today. There will be other days. Both the winners and losers should remember that.

Everyone can be a god for 5 minutes, and any team with experience has a chance to win, Ballchair willing.

That's why we play the games...

And will again, on Tuesday.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: Pre 4th Sunday
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 pm 

games were good early, got clumsy late. lots of pissed off people because they couldn't play. we need to play so much faster. its painful watching someone wobble back to the server spot and just fucking stand there, listen to everything around them and consider what to do. i average like 3 seconds to rotate and serve.

props to navy and ronin steve for trying to get the games faster yesterday.

and fucking hell we need a score keeper. only me and chief know the score. maybe someone else can try knowing too!?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:51 pm 

Yep - gotta move the games along more quickly, especially when it's 100 degrees and more than 6 dry people waiting. 5 minutes should be the max break time and even that's too long in most of the Dallas pools I visited.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:09 pm 

OMG. Mikey missed the late games today. I acknowledged a shirt. Then it took them 15-20 minutes to get their people and even figure out which side they were playing on, and another 10-15 while they went through what I suppose was supposed to be a pregame briefing and tried to line up.

Got me to shouting, apparently at a pitch that no one could hear. After I got the next shirt to acknowledge they were up, I packed up and left. Could've been dark before they got it together.

Sheesh--is there any law and order around here?!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 pm 

:drinkers:

My name's Dan