AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The weekend cometh
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:32 am 

Now that we are all textual, no one will read this, more than likely.

But there have been calls for a Freaky Friday, and a noon ball Saturday.

While I am in support of these endeavors, it is not for me, your humble narrator, to take charge of promotion.

Pandas who want to do things should be vocal, and ask for a roll call.

Here's how it's done...

Freaky Friday: roll call!

Noon ball Saturday: roll call!

I will pack a fight bag to work on Friday, just in case...

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:47 pm 

i can't play friday.

i can do saturday noon ball. i like that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 am 

Well, College, we'll see what we'll see after Freaky Friday.

And, as much dischord as it causes, the Pandas seem to prefer texting. We'll see how long that lasts, given the volume.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:50 pm 

Summer AWVP is in full swing in Dallas. We've had three teams of 6 on the last two weekends. And most teams of 6 have over 100 years of playing experience.

Last year, Austin came calling in September, or was it October. The Illume wasn't up for the challenge. I witnessed the effort.

I will guarantee you the best competition in the State is right here in Big D, and we'll host you to two day of play, at a private residence with a competition pool built specifically for AWVP. A double burner gas grill will run all day, and the usual 1pm (sharp) to 5pm play gets each team 6 games to 15.

Tournament play or free-play, we'll leave it up to you. We'd love to have you come to Dallas.

Regards, Nowell Upham, Oaker Boy since '90! nupham@themarketingarm.com, 214-797-1001

Bring your best 6, or 7. We play 6's. Just name the weekend (or day) in AUGUST!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:16 pm 

Evening AWVP,
I find it incomprehensible that a team out of Dallas is making such claims. While Dallas does have some great sports teams, maybe better in years past, I am glad to know you have a pro water volleyball team. However, I have been tring to engage the Austin team for some years but apparently they want no part of this business.

Whelp, (not the Spalding imprint you may have if you play Houston), here's to several more great weekends in the pool. I'm sincerely glad to hear the game is still alive and thriving in your areas and maybe someday we can arrange a showdown.

GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:47 pm 

i am game to go in August. lets make a date?

play from 1pm to 5pm only eh? both saturday and sunday or just saturday?

what part of town Nowell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:27 pm 

I'm down for road trip...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:54 pm 

I'm down for the Dallas trip. I think just Saturday ball. We drink when we play and we've got the drive back on Sunday.

Gold Murphy, we don't know much about your Houston squad. Where do you play and do you have any photos or videos?

A few of us know Nowell. He showed up at the Ilume for a while when we were there in 2013, along with one of his players who is a big lefty hitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:12 am 

I'm pretty sure Gold Murphy is a false flag operation. If not, as Creeps suggests, produce evidence of the existence of your game and your efforts to challenge the AWVP that have gone unheeded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 am 

Where it comes to the Dallas challenge. I for, one, accept. And I would say, as someone who played all 3 days of this weekend, that we CAN figure out how to play more than one day and drink, you knuckleheads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 pm 

I'll be going up there at least twice in August to work on my father's house and can plan around this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:59 pm 

I'm not sure why Chief doesn't recognize the possibility of WVB in Houston, or "the game" as we call it..... We like to kick things off with Motörhead's "The Game" each outing....check the lyrics if you don't already know the tune, it rings true and no matter your musical preference, as players you will relate.

3 of us will be in the Austin area starting Weds 8/19- Fri 8/21, let me know if you have any midweek game possibility.

GM

[/code][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:01 am 

GM: objection--nonresponsive. Given the 8 years you've been part of this website, I beleive we've had this convserastion before, and you are a figment of one of our estwhile player's imagination. Hence, a false flag operation.

Perhaps you are acquainted with Gold Peppers, Greg Peppers, Two Killa, and Corky?

All of the aforementioned plahyers are available to you should you come up to play. They are the best we have, and you are welcome to them as a guest. And, as an honored guest, you can decide which one(s) of them are going to be the bench players, since you're bringing 3.

Curious--who are the other 2???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Gold Murphy if your crew is so great, then how about you show us a little evidence. We don't know who you are and we haven't seen anything that suggests you even play water volleyball.

:whistling:

Post subject: Proof
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 pm 

Evening,

Unfortunately I have not figured out how to send proof, However I assure that there is no association with other goldmembers.

This weekend will be the final game in Houston as the owner of the pool is having season ending shoulder surgery due to excessive play. I will be sure to get footage, just let me know how to embed/send.

Lastly, while I don't claim we are so great, there have been combined unbeatable teams for weeks at a time as you may know or heard rumors.
Still working on Austin, actually be there a week later.... possible Sunday ball 8/30.

Have a great weekend AWVP!

GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:35 am 

IMHO, this is not as hard as GMs vagueness makes it out to be.

Gold Murphy--in the 9 times you've posted on this website in the last 5 years, perhaps you have seen the name Riata mentioned once or twice. It is no secret that this is where the AWVP currently plays. Presumably you have the ability to Google since you found this website (how, BTW?), so you can find us at our current battlefield.

It is also no secret that I am a hired gun there. So I don't make the decisions. If you have evidence of me being against an Austin-Houston challenge prior to this most recent exchange for reasons other than the ones I am putting forth, feel free to share them with the class.

Here's a tip--from my experience, the way to try to get game is not to vaguely say that you and some folks might show up. Most people, I'd expect Riata included, want to know who is showing up, and when. It's called common courtesy, and has been a prelude to all recent road trips I've been involved with. Contact information for the principal representatives is exchanged prior to arrival.

Should you feel for some reason uncomfortable sharing as much information as we do on our website, I believe there is an email to the admin which provides an alternative option--see memberlist. And I have one, too!

In short, there are some pretty easy and painless ways to prove you're for real, so we can prepare for you the reception we give to all challengers--good game.

If you are unwilling or unable to acede to these rather simple requests, I'd sure love to hear what your impediments are to doing so.

I await your reply.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:26 pm 

uphamn wrote:
Summer AWVP is in full swing in Dallas. We've had three teams of 6 on the last two weekends. And most teams of 6 have over 100 years of playing experience.

Last year, Austin came calling in September, or was it October. The Illume wasn't up for the challenge. I witnessed the effort.

I will guarantee you the best competition in the State is right here in Big D, and we'll host you to two day of play, at a private residence with a competition pool built specifically for AWVP. A double burner gas grill will run all day, and the usual 1pm (sharp) to 5pm play gets each team 6 games to 15.

Tournament play or free-play, we'll leave it up to you. We'd love to have you come to Dallas.

Regards, Nowell Upham, Oaker Boy since '90! nupham@themarketingarm.com, 214-797-1001

Bring your best 6, or 7. We play 6's. Just name the weekend (or day) in AUGUST!

Nowell, what do you think about the possibility of us bringing two full squads of 6?

The interest is high on our end. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:42 pm 

Here is a link to an older post that has a photo of the venue in Prosper, TX (I think):
http://www.watervolleyball.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2508&start=0
And Youtube videos I made in '09 when I was up there:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6B2067CFA6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:31 am 

While I would hate to second guess Dan's concept on our numbers, I do not see 12 pandas hitting this road trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:00 pm 

We have six players confirmed.

Mikie, Chief, Scott, Dan, Ronin Steve, LJ

We should have a bigger squad. Who else wants to go?

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 am 

I've personally never quite had the team I ideally would've wanted on a road trip, but I've been proud to serve with every one of them. And those who weren't on the paper roster of the fantasy team have proven themselves worthy, every time.

And those who don't choose to serve with us when things are on the line on the road, where the odds are stacked against us, here we go again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJ8ILIE780

And again and again until it sinks in. Because every road trip you do, you will face at least 3:1 odds, if not more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

I will never forget the Pandas who serve with me on the road. And will not forget those who did not. Excuses with what you did on your summer vacation that did not involve playing ball need to be filed in triplicate with the league office: one copy for your permanent file, one for your potential teammates at home, and one for your potential road trip teammates to examine should you change your mind in the future and wish to be considered.

Our (My) motto is that you're only as good as your last play, or at best, your last day in combat on the obstacle du jour. Gotta string em together. But, if want to claim you're the best of the best, and you won't fight on the road, for the glory of the AWVP, which you claim to represent, how good are you?

You can, of course, choose to slaughter the local amateur competition, and consider yourselves the kings of infinite space. But 6 of us are going north to try to do something different. So I'm not sure you'll even be able to do that while we're gone. So catch up on your knitting, romance novels, or whatever it is you wish to do with your summer vacation that doesn't involve fighting. I'm sure your excuses will be quite convincing...

So endeth the sermon for the day. I remain a poopy head, and you like cheese.