AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AAR Mirage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:25 pm 

As LJ called it, so it was. We spent the weekend battling at Mirage. I don't remember much about Saturday--I forgot to eat (did I mention I lost 5 pounds?), but I didn't forget how to serve. However, games were a bit strange, in that big leads tended to wither as attention wandered and mismatches were exploited. I did hear that after I left, (I believe the sun was going down or gone), the local 50 something patroness fed people. Although my name and Deto's have been suggested, I nominate Charlie to take the hit for the team on this one!

I managed to get to bed early (in the am, that is!) and dragged myself back for more on Sunday--games were already in progress (the shorter teams did well this day), when someone came up with the bright idea of taking on the Argosy squad, this day mainly featuring Will, Ford, OJ, Wescott, Jess, and yours truly vs. TJ, LJ, Lloyd, Crawfish Jim, Ronin Steve, Ronin Charlie, and Attorney Scott. We lost game 1, after which Jess's friend subbed out for Wescott. What followed was 3 games of Argosy showtime, led by my serves, and hammered home by Ford, OJ, and Wescott (nice behind the back spike!). Will contributed with some big blocks--early rookiie hesitancy is gone now. Drunkest Panda was Jess, who was having problems hitting the broad side of a barn and nearly had his moon balls going backwards, but did enough to keep us in the "W" column, even when we were forced to play with the light ass smiley face ball.

There are a few suggestions I have for changes in operations at this venue. LJ, see if you agree: we need to make sure if we see actual residents with volleyballs, that they be invited to play and that we take time out if necessary to let them play a game (but emphasize that they need to keep score, and not just bat the ball around for an indeterminate period while we're sidelined). Second, all trees are out. Aiming for overarching branches so that the ball wil change direction is annoying, and we actualy had the happy ball get stuck up there.

Moving on--I assume we're planning on raiding this place again on Wednesday? Time to start thinking about 4th plans. Charlie says he's cooking briscuit (at his place, I think), so let's all RSVP on this issue ASAP, and then keep the AWVP on the QT when we cross the DMZ.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:58 pm 

The weekend began with an eight point service run by me and ended with the Argoy's hopes riding on my right arm down 7-14 in the rubber match with the Riata. Seven stirring points later, the game was tied and after a full rotation, I finally scored one more point before Jess on service ended the game and the Argosy ruled the Riata once more, winning both sets of best of three in the maximum three games each time. The rookies have stepped ably into the place of the habitaully absent Vets on the squad representing the Argosy, continuing the infusion of new blood that keeps the Argosy in its rightful place as the best training gym in the ATX. Argosy! Argosy! In other news, safety rules supreme, as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:18 pm 

Great wknd of ball...I think people are warming up to mirage...would be great if someone or me moved back in there to use as regular 2nd venue to relieve some of the Obstacle's use...Deto, didnt you say you are moving to Arboretum area?!?

As to Chief's suggestion...totally agreed on tree issue...all trees should be out and in fact have always been out at all venues for as long as I have played...I believe that was a temporary pass through so Jethro could enjoy his crazy serving wknd...

And we defintely should let natives play, and make them keep score as suggested...

Some other side notes: Good food served by Debbie, some hellacious points that dont end like normal (my theory is lower net and room to make ricockulous saves keeps ball alive), Doc and Deto put 6"5" Tinman to shame when it comes to defense and blocking at the net, OJ probably gets my MVP vote for the wknd, Jim Back kept his Ron Artest, Albert Belle personalities in check long enough to give OJ a run for MVP on Saturday, Jennifer put many of our serves to shame, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:50 pm 

ARGOSY WINS 5 OUT OF LAST 6 GAMES PLAYED :lol:
NUFF SAID, WILDNEWBSJUICEWESTBACKSHOW :shock:
WESTAGASSI SERVES NICE :shock:
HEWILL BLOCKS NICE :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:48 am 

The official Argosy scribe needs to check on this...but I think that may be Jess' longest post ever. I agree, Juicy MVP. Blocks, finishes with both hands against anyone, and throws up some sets and the occasional Superserve. The MVP campaign has begun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:57 am 

5 Tool Playa wrote:
Doc and Deto put 6"5" Tinman to shame when it comes to defense and blocking at the net

I don't recall ever having a single defensive/blocking play on the net during any of the three games I decided to play in this past weekend in my first outing of the season. I remember the only time "Tinman" was in the pool while I was, he was standing next to me on the same team. Although thank you for trying to increase my glories on the net. I can still say I have spiked on Chief!

Glitterbug, how clean boys get dirty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:18 am 

Sheriff get your dick out of juices butt, and smell whats cookin :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:17 am 

I believe Llloyd just got a nickname. Oil can! Oil can! Although when wearing his hat, Scarecrow also comes to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:57 pm 

Oil Can!

Glitterbug, how clean boys get dirty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:03 am 

Hey dudes, if yall want to come out tonight just give me a call. Penty of redneck girls. Don't blame me if you catch anything!!!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:04 am 

I think Chief's game is a mirage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:59 pm 

Bold statement, from someone who is taking a stroll, no skipping, nay--prancing down washout lane.

Let's discuss the incredible shrinking superstar, before he disappears completely up his own primary aperature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:23 pm 

*snort*

awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:05 pm 

CHIEF? calm down!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:06 pm 

bunny wrote:
*snort*