AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Gonna be hard to beat that pic in terms of Sunday October funday AAR.

2 means 3, so ya’ll missed time bomb.

No one should miss out on time bomb, so here ya go:

https://youtu.be/92SzQ25UhOU?si=eYTh9mXSlQokOiaF

Speaking of time, not much time left in the season. Acorns in the pool, a chill in the air and Chief and or Kenny shivering are all signs the season is coming to an end. We’re getting there, but the weather is still fine and playable.

In general, it is better to play ball than watch others play ball. Just sayin. And you will miss ball when it’s gone.

So what brave pandas did we get today? Dan Chief Erin Alex Angel Victoria with later special guest appearances by Ram and Cone’ (pronounced Coney like Coney Island?)

So it was 3s then 3 on 4, then 4s then 3s again. All full court games, which is challenging.

I maintain that 3s and 4s game are good practice. First practice is serving accuracy—try to serve at or near someone to keep it fair. Second practice is try to pass and make plays. And that is tougher when you only have 3-4 people. Third lesson is how to cover territory, because you’re going to have to. Fourth lesson is games that are not 6 on 6 are going to be hard work.

Now that time bomb has been heard, let the games begin!

Game 1 Dan Chief Erin v Angel Alex Victoria. Victory went to the “vet” squad, but not without the other side learning some things they would use in subsequent games.

Game 2, new girl Cone’ joined losing side. She was about 50% on getting her serves over and got the ball in the air a few times when it came to her. Had to be reminded to keep her hands up in the air every time, and then use them, which is something I blame on Ram’s bad coaching of a new rookie.

Game 3: 4s at last! Erin Dan Chief Cone’ v Angel Alex Ram Victoria. Get the camera ready!?

Not so much. Ram the difference maker and dynasty buster said no. See also great serving by Victoria, Angel, and Alex. They came back from like 12-2! Even against Dan practicing his jump serve(watch out sanders for his sekrit weapon!)

Erin was not pleased. Khaleesi wanted her dynasty. Now we have to start all over again. Her speech went something like this:

https://youtu.be/vvVzmrYTSPc?si=ZWX9DknqYzV7FaSV

Getting that coveted sponsorship can make you more assertive and competitive. Look what Natty Light has made me do over the years. Apparently Jameson has the same expectations. So I get it, and am also competitive.

Because when the suggestion was made to mix it up, no. Gotta start down that dynasty road all over again.

So off we go. Avenged the previous loss. Somewhere along the line, something happened to Ram. Maybe it was that he got his hair wet, which took away his difference making super powers. Maybe he decided it was becoming a waste of time to lend his skills to inferior players, which he probably learned from somewhere…

So back to 3s we went. You know how it turned out, because the pic already got posted. I’m long winded and can only type so fast.

Here’s what I learned today:

Dan has a jump serve.

If Khaleesi wants a dynasty, you better work to get her a dynasty.

Opponents on the day all have good serves, especially Victory, but shout outs to Alex Angel and Ram too.

New girl Cone’ did ok on her first ever day.

Things I might be able to teach: in 3s the lineup with some adjustments is 2 players opposite server to try to receive, with one player mid court in the other side(on “the island”) depending on personnel of course. Opponents were doing different stuff. Didn’t work.

If you decide to serve from the middle of the court, you’re vulnerable to ball getting shot back to traditional server’s corner. See “classic” lineup again.

Less than 6s can be fun and competitive. Sure was today, anyway.

The game of watervolleyball is a combination of power and technique. That astute observation is not from me, that’s from new girl Cone’ so fits in both the learning and teachable moments that occurred during this very fun day.

Sorry more of you couldn’t make it. Your loss, since this might’ve been the last chance for a dynasty photo this season.

Gotta play to win. Thanks to all who came out today. Good games and rule #1(have fun) was in full effect.

After playing ball, I can now watch a crappy blowout football game. See how that works?

Sure hope we have more game this year. My sponsor Natty Light requires I fight to the end.