AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chief's AAR 7/30/2023
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Sunday funday AAR. Start time has always been something of a mystery. Now extra mysterious.

So who got us over the top to get game started today? New people. Let that sink in.

Dan brought tasty popsicles and extra tasty cream sickles. You had to be there.

Tbone would’ve been proud. Rule #1 in full effect. We even had Team 6 1/2 with karina in the mix.

Special guest appearance by lil TJ. His rugby friends live at Riata now. They said they appreciated the chance to warm up with us, play, and learn.

Nerds team was a lil TJ concept and nerds team won today. That’s why we play the games.

When you play with new people, watervolleyball becomes additionally inexplicable. You don’t know their tendencies, so hard to tell what they’re gonna do. Guessing sometimes they don’t know either. Makes standard system ball a little less systematic in terms of serve receive.

For the uninitiated ( and even some of the initiated) here’s how it’s supposed to work: losing team sheds players to accommodate all the dries coming in. Drys choice of who they keep from losing squad.

There was no strategic shitting (oppps I meant sitting, or did I?) which meant games went fairly smoothly in terms of organization.

Fun for me to play with 4 old Argosy players in Dynasty 1

Wescott wanted it added to the AAR that if set, he can still hit the MFing ball. So let it be written, so let it be done?

I try, but still gotta go with make the play that’s easiest if the called play is gonna be hard.

Wescott also displayed why he is a former server of the year.

Dan also had some nice serves, and pulled off not one, but a least 2 of his signature Dallas “moves” today. See Dan move…

Kenny played with a lot of Kennergy today. Scully wasn’t there, someone has to pick up the slack on puns.

New folks are playing just fine. Reagan, little setter guy (who I went over the top of a couple times—sorry about that but he was “all good as long as it works”) gaining acceptance.

It’s either Omar! Or nomar. Not much in between. Consistency is a thing.

Rules. We have them. They will be enforced more strictly as skill levels increase. Lifts are very much frowned on these days. They’re pretty easily defined—2 hand front scoops, 2 hands over your head. No good protesting. I remember when walls were out, but they’re not anymore.

There was dancing. And I heartily believe a good time was had by all.

And, in the end, isn’t that what it’s all about?

Addenda: we had Laura playing today! 4 straight points on serve! How fast is that and what distance in meters?