AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chief's AAR 7/24/2023
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Sunday funday AAR. I can only talk about what I witnessed, which wasn’t all of it. But boy howdy are there a lot of sanders/landers who are becoming water curious(see I used that term again):

https://youtu.be/MD6RMFt7Czs

It is good that it is so. With growth comes growing pains.

We’ve actually always had an approach to that. Archivist resident Dan can probably direct you to the ancient scrolls, I mean website, which has a section on why we had 2 mascots—Optimus, now enshrined in Danquarters, and the panda—it’s a balance of competition and cameraderie.

We’re the AWVP—we take heads. But you’re likely to see the same people a lot. So we learn to play together.

This is also part of the definition of the MVP. Best player is one part of the equation. The other part is being willing to put your skills in play to make your team, any team, better.

Which gets me to my game 1 today. I’m dry, Erin is dry, Monkey is dry. There’s a super team on the other side.

Rafaa says, “come on,‘let’s go,” and brings in Keith and Leah(?) to help out. That’s a “mixed” team.

I should’ve asked the Gambler what the odds were before the hurly burly started.

I’m sure you know where this is going, but I’ll tell you anyways, it’s the least I can do. Upset!

As I’ve said many times, that’s why we play the games.

I haven’t played a lot with Keith and Leah, but sometimes a team just comes together, if only for one game.

The older shorter players did their part, and didn’t make a lot of mistakes. It’s amazing what can happen when you’re given a chance.

Rafaa got a ton of give and go to back row hits today, a couple times like 3 in a row.

I was really pleased when the favor was returned and rafaaa set me perfect for a ball I crushed once, then again because I wasn’t sure the play was over, and hitting is fun. Sorry for the headshot on the second hit.

Several pandas have been encouraging Erin to go up to block. It’s something you have to get used to. Guess what she did today? She blocked Javi. This will probably be denied, but I second sourced it. Those who have administrative abilities on this messenger thread feel free to add “got blocked by Erin” to big Papis CV

Tall pale thin guy from yesterday did that thing that interested players do—watch from a distance, then get closer and closer to the pool. This is his second day. He doesn’t suck. Didn’t catch his name, but don’t skip him.

Other notables—all ladies team! Last time I saw that was at Argosy, so it’s been a while.

Ford “uncle Fordy?” Playing strong today.

Serves: the only way to attempt to deal with the hot and fast serves that are becoming more common in this modern league is to get in against a blasting server, take your licks, try to learn.

Did I say this is new? Don’t forget about Wescott aka the sheriff aka little big man, who was displaying why he won server of the year back in the day.

And just because blasting is en vogue doesn’t mean that it’s the only way to score points off serve.

The Walrus’s signature flipper slap serves scored just as many, if not more points than the heaters, because placement.

Kenny Rogers—born again hard. I remember the days when Kenny was more like Towlie. Most improved award well deserved.

Omar—gaining acceptance. First centaur to ever play the game.

In closing, the state of the state of the league is strong. And watervolleyball remains sublime and inexplicable.

https://youtu.be/_O6RBB6sD1s