AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chief's AAR 9/18/2022
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

In general, it is better to play ball than not to play. This is one of those days. I’ll also quote Navy who said he’s been around long enough to know how long the off season is.

Speaking of long. What does 3 mean? 4:30-5 apparently.

Some people appeared to be a little worse for wear from activities the night before. Gee, I’ve never had that problem before! It’s why they call them the healing waters. See also, at my advanced age, if I can do it, you can too : )

We needed every player today, which is the answer to the who’s gonna be there question. If you show up, that’s one more person than there would be if you don’t.

For those unfamiliar with the concepts, let me explain a little about 3s and 4s in the big pool.

3s is the minimum number you can have to play full court. Standard lineup is 2 on servers side and 1 player mid court on “the island” with rotation to reflect said formation after side out.

With 3s and 4s it’s considered good form to serve at or near somebody.

What’s the benefit of games with so few players? You get to move around. A lot. It’s also very good training for distance passing and also accuracy on serving. Because serving to someone can be more challenging than one might think. You have to think a lot about spacing, and being responsible for way more pool than you’re used to on standard 6s. I reached out for a ton of shots today, hopefully regaining the height that I’ve lost over the years due to shrinkage.

In 3s and 4s, everyone gets a chance to hit.

Ram got me a tshirt for my birthday. I’m inclined to return the favor with one that says “2 hands”.

I pulled my buddy Snyder who lives close by out of mothballs (15 years) to get to 4 on 4.

Thus, at days end, an old Argosy squad that has not played together in at least 15 years got to take the field and win the last game to 21.

So kudos to Navy New York Ram Dan Erin Woodcock for showing up to make game possible.