AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chief's AAR 7/24/2022
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Sunday AAR with many tales to tell. Resort living at its finest? Sort of.

First, the airing of grievances.

When I arrived at the Obstacle all the hard restroom work was completely undone. No rolls, roll holder broken on the floor, and toilet won’t flush.

Next, most of you were late. We all know 2 means 3, but 3 does NOT mean 4 or later. 3 means 3.

Then, through a coincidence of arrival times, a stacked team showed up.

After that, said stacked team inexplicably failed to switch sides after winning a game. When I asked why that didn’t happen, the response was “I don’t know”. Which is the response I expected from a teenager about where the beer in their room came from or what happened to the car…

Failure to switch sides (and switch at 8 was not yet in play) is a violation of bylaws. So for several reasons, Dynasty 1 comes with a pretty big *. Dynasty buster team that took them on for game 3 came up just short.

Speaking of coming up short, I think we have a first. 4 scrubs wanted to play late in the day. Drunk walrus and Rafaa joined them. Because they are good sports. Guess what, they beat the home team!

I got close a few years back by myself with a bunch of very young rangy bball players, but came up short.

So this should be a familiar mantra: that’s why we play the games.

See also a less popular one with some pandas—that’s why we not only let, but encourage people to play. Some have skills, some do not.

But from the sidelines I heard some of the newbs saying “They were teaching us how to play better” and they were thankful for the opportunity.

That’s exactly the kind of good will we need to ward off complaints.

How about Erin’s development as a player. She has 2 blocks today, which is 2 more than I had. And her serve is getting more accurate. And she was on a dynasty team.

Rafaa Joe Kenny Walrus, nice hitting today.

Administrative note. When is Dallas tourney this year. Those who are left behind need to know so they can organize to keep the home fires burning.

Ideas that are being floated is bring up a Skyline team or run a “Riata tournament” where you encourage Riata residents who don’t normally show up to participate. The latter concept has been frowned upon when brought up in the past.

Just putting a few ideas out there to make sure the AWVP flag continues to fly proudly over the home court during Dallas time.

We have some room for improvement, but Rule #1 was still in full effect.