AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chief's AAR 7/25/2021
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Sunday not AAR—more like random thoughts as there was too much going on today.
So why not lead with Javi, drunken master. Sometimes if your in the booze and the game zone, things work out. *

Last time I saw such a performance was Joe who could barely stand serving 10 in a row from the sun side.

https://youtu.be/74OBuMA2qEk

* Usually things do not work out that way when you’ve got a bunch of booze on board.

Amazing turnout today. So many people, so few spots:

https://youtu.be/9aFVSkncq00

Sorry, that’s footage from my younger days : )

Every year the players get younger and taller, and I stay the same height and age.

Welcome new sanders—Nick, tall lefty guy, the other taller guy and the other tall guy. Sorry I didn’t catch all the names. Hope you will decide to join our club. You and your friends.

As numbers and talent level increases, there is going to be stacking. For the uninitiated, that means waiting and building a super team to try to make a dynasty run.

That doesn’t mean dries are all going to play or should play together. So here’s a pro tip. If you don’t think you’re going to get picked up in the next game, tie up your own shirt. Then pick your squad. People will get left out, but if they shirt up, they’re in the next game. Shirts tend to supersede dries play when there are this many people. Because you can’t bring them all in.

When you stack, as I did to start the day, don’t be rude and lose your dynasty game, as we did. If we had won, whole pool gets cleared out and a full new 12 can get in.

But that’s why we play the games. April and Amber serves took down super team #1 on the day.

I got a chance to sit and chat with Navy, the other OG from the OA(Old Argosy) and Tbone. We could not be more pleased and proud at the interest, quality of play, competition and camaraderie on display out there today. This was the dream of ball that AWVP came up with many years ago. And way less arguing than yesterday. So good job on that.

The serving and hits out there are devastating. So watch out Dallas! We have figured out your puzzle box:

https://youtu.be/lKfupO4ZzPs

Personal note: I’m still trying to learn in this modern game from back mid position whether I’m to play in tight or deep straight across, and am willing to take direction. Sorry Matt Cisneros, I heard you tell me to step back on one play but they were serving right when I heard you. See also yesterday, when Taz and LJ were behind me. LJ: “we’re going to ordering you all over the place.” Often in contradictory directions!

We had a pole shot today. That rule is exclusive to Austin AWVP, rare, and super fun when it happens. This one involved Ford, who got a good laugh out of it, and he played well today.

Speaking of rules, and contrary to popular opinion, I’m often I. Agreement with LJ. So we should switch at 8 so everyone gets to have fun on the sun side. 2 short loud and bossy players can’t be wrong : ). And I’m not sure why LJ hasn’t just decreed the switch as Dick Tator, since, as a turtle, water is his world.

LJ did something good today at the net, but I said it wasn’t going in the AAR, so it’s not going in the AAR. I’m sure he will know what play I’m talking about and add his 2 cents.

All pandas are encouraged to contribute their favorite moment of this very fun day.

Welcome back Wescott. We’ve been keeping the league warm for you this season in your absence.

Scully, gaining acceptance with team election and little big man play at the net in the latter games of the day. Being first at the net can count. Well done.

All and all, one of the better days in recent memory.

I could go on, but it’s still a long season in a league with a long storied history, with so more tales to be told. AWVP—ballers for life!

https://youtu.be/XsZZQPKLChY

-Chief