AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sunday funday (post tournament) AAR:

Since I’m back on IR at least for today I had plenty of time to observe, takes notes, and suggestions. I hope this humble scrivener’s telling of the tale does not disappoint…

Always like to see good turnout. 3-4 teams deep makes off the court management a little difficult, but that’s not a bad problem to have.

Thanks to all for turning out to make a good day of ball. Welcome water curious sanders, with an old refrain:

https://youtu.be/_ZfmXzIbHI8

To today’s action, and notable moments, in no particular order:

Rafaaa off Dub’s head, and Scully coming up with the pun: A R U OK when I said it was going on the AAR.

Rafaa also wanted me to point out he had 3 back to back dynasties. As the unofficial league historian, I’m not sure that’s been done before—2 yes. 3 I don’t recall.

Speaking of dynasties, Jen got her first dynasty win, which is one more than CJ has achieved in his career : )

Javi wanted me to point out that he’s an underrated setter. I also noticed for one set of serves he was king of the moon ball (Taz your hot serves are getting really good, but Javi was hinting not to forget the moon).

I will point out that Javi is also underrated as drunkest panda, because I had to get the pool hook out.

But don’t worry, top candidates, pretty sure you’re still in the lead. I’m told Walrus fell over at sander tournament. Way to represent—there’s an old adage: “AWVP—we get high”. Sometimes we even play after we’ve fallen over, more than once! Ah the good ol bad ol days…

LJ likes to refer to water as “his world”. To be precise, the concept of the AWVP was created by denizens of the Argosy dirty Philly gym. LJ just learned to win in it.

The lip is not shy about his achievements, but here’s some you might not hear about in his account today—4 missed serves, 4 blown back row plays, several bad sets, and excessive hitting from a point guard. I will say that several of those hits were good hits. Little known fact—when the sets are pretty but the big men keep looking shitty, LJ and I have conspired to set each other.

Woodcock made a little run for server of the year today. Bringing the heat. And one really good hit I remember.

Jarrod had a couple good sets, couple good blocks, and one very nice hit.

Navy blocked a very good player twice in the same play, but wants to stay under the radar on such achievements lest he be targeted—kind of line a submariner, coming in under the radar.

Kenny Rogers can really put the ball down, if they remember he’s in the game and he stays focused. Pretty strong candidate for most improved.

See Monkey hit. At least 2 good ones today. And doing pretty well on serves. They don’t go out or into the net.

Alex—did some good thing, and some bad things. Gaining acceptance.

Scully plays a lot like I did in mid to late Chief career—tries to keep his team focused rather than fuckused. Good luck, it’s an uphill battle:

https://youtu.be/8ZhYwBdQPeQ

The serves that are going on out there are for the most part awesome. And guess what, with repetition comes improvement. When relegated to observer status I’m noticing better fielding.

That will not bode well for the geriatrics in Dallas, who have weak serves in comparison.

Well, I think that’s all for now. Dan has extensive game film total coverage to see how accurate my assessments are.

If I talked about everything and everyone the AAR would go on for like 47 pages.

Lobbying for honorable mention works. I took notes today! But I don’t want to just be the teller of the tale. I want to play.

Hoping the stupid muscle strain is gone by next week.

The state of the league is strong. Ballchair bless you, every one.

-Chief