AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:24 pm 

After 27 years in the league, I am pleased and proud to say that the state of the AWVP is strong. Thank you all for attending. We're starting to see what late season ball looks like, and the results don't disappoint. Savor every moment, because soon another season will be in the books, except for Mikey in Australia, who's summer is about to begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

Speaking of endings,

We're losing Joe, he's gotta go, me oh myo,
Moving to a ranch pretty far out of town-o
He's played ball with us all many year-o
Son of a gun hope he has fun out near Waco

And beginnings. A new resident has entered the stage. Welcome Chris. Tall and learning quickly in his first 2 days. Most, but not all, players get nicknames. He's got the longest beard of any player who's every played, but doesn't strike me as Jesus like. More of a pirate. So after giving this a lot of thought, I'm going with Blackbeard. We'll see how that goes over. Probably better than 40% which is what he kept saying to players on my team when we, shall we say, we had a certain skills advantage today.

My birthday celebrations kept me away from my AAR duties for Saturday. And it's already in the rear view mirror dimly. Sorry to disappoint, Gronk and Alex. But since they asked for an AAR, I will feature them first:

Gronk is doing well. Decent hands for a big man, serves almost always go in, he can hit. Less tude. He's learning the game.

Alex is also learning. Usually can put the ball in the air high when fielding serves, and he can score on serves. He's gotten a couple blocks in as well. Needs to work on timing, speed, and hands in other aspects of the game. I recommend you listen to coach Ford--when you get there early, get in the pool and practice, practice, practice. Get some guys and bounce the ball around on the same side of the net, and on opposite sides of the net. You think the rest of us learned this overnight? Every action needs to become second nature. It's only then that you can do the normal stuff normally, and every now and then something extraordinary. Also learning humor: BIG SCORE, LITTLE SCORE. Funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNv52sFZx5k

What I can remember is a certain degree of joy in denying LJ a dynasty. Only to have my team's dynasty denied as well. Someone eventually won one. It wasn't LJ, or me. Others can tell that tale. What I can say is there was a nice Chief Scott setter-hitter hookup, albeit in losing efforts. The Walrus is an aquatic mammal, with surprising range and abilities. My teams fought well with Adam, Alex, and a drunk Grizzle.

It was a fun double Chief Carina birthday. One of the funnest, especially for Carina, who got a great deal of bling. Photos, anyone???

Turning to Sunday--ouch. Getting harder and harder to get out there and play. But Riata waters do heal, when they don't burn, just as the Argosy waters of old did.

And for those who are wondering, no, we don't call each other on arrival time. Pandas are soo not that organized. Things just happen. Just coincidence that me Taz Scott Forf and Joe all showed up at once. Just like it was coincidence that Kent and Kenny developed vaginitis as soon as I got there, and both(!) offered me their spots when I arrived. Well, I'm eager to play once I get the the obstacle (!) so in I went, rather than play on Team Stacker. So won my first, then got to face Stacky Stack--because Taz, Scott, and Forf also decided to stay out to play with amazingly rejuvenated Kent and Kenny. And, as can happen sometimes, best available remaining players just don't have enough firepower to defeat them.

But you know what beats a stacked team? Another stacked team! Because what did my wondering eyes did appear, but Ebub, and Rafa--so I see your stack, and raise you one--with me Marcelo Shimmy and Joe in tow. No dynasty for you, but one for me instead!

Although the last game to Dynasty was a battle. It stayed at like 10-10 forever. Because Javi and Georgie showed up on the other side.

Sanders with your skills so bright, won't you help our teams tonight???

Lots of good serving out there (low net)--Dub's serves hurt my wittle hands. But George gets server of the day (call out the score!). Wicked cross. Forf, you did your best defending that, but there wasn't much help that could be provided from the rest of the team, due to the accuracy--it's a server fielder 1 on 1 matchup that George owned--this time. Btw, I really enjoy being Ford's setter, even if we lose. Good chemistry there.

Javi wanted me to say nice things about him, so I'll mention that he had the option to hit me in the face, or go angle for the point. Thanks for going angle.

It's good to see more of the Bumble Bee (Rafa), and Ballchair knows he needed some wins after nearly getting blanked last time, but player of the day, in yet another dominant performance, goes to Dub, who Jeffersoned the court--again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5f0Aqo4w

Please!!! stop messing with his car!

There was some strong Woodcocking today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_IDGrKZ0Rs

Sorry, that's a woodpecker. Let me try again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKss2pBYQ6Y

Nope, that's me. Sorry, my PhD is not in ornithology.

Congrats to Miami, who confided to me that he hadn't won a game in the last 3 weeks, for building a Miamasty this Sunday.

For the new guys, that's a lesson to stick with it. I've had a couple of years(!) where I've gone none or one Ws every weekend. We do the best we can (mostly) to keep people involved and the teams even. Hence the 3 in a row Dynasty system, and the other occasionally competing attempts at organization and player distribution--drys, shirts, captains...

But it still remains the case that there are some games you're unlikely to win. That doesn't mean it's impossible. See our concept of Nerds teams. I'll play with anyone. And credit to Scott the Walrus for helping fill the roster today. These things happen. Take your lumps, play the best you can. Because it's all any of us can do really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

If you don't play, you can't learn. Best advice from an old undersized player is that when the odds are against you, don't be "that guy" that they're gonna go after--make the big bully boys pick on someone else. And if you stick with it, you'll learn that everyone can be a god for one play (see Wescott the Sheriff's one brief shining hit today!), and then maybe more than one, and then maybe for a game, or a series, or a season. So keep thinking about the game, and how you play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1fH0SvGPg

That's all from yours truly. More there certainly was, is, and will be. Feel free to fill in the blanks, now and forever more. Pandas, I salute you on your quest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhEpjnaNlo

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:26 pm 

Addendum: Looks like Taz is no longer as injured as he was before.

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:36 am 

One of your best AARs Chefy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:16 pm 

My name's Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:19 pm 

My name's Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 pm 

My name's Dan