AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AAR - OU/TX Weekend
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:55 am 

AAR - From Chiefton

Sorry that these have been few and far between recently, but work is a bitch...

We may have played the last games we're going to play this season. After my hypothermia episode last year, I've learned a couple of things--I can't play at temps less than 80. #2--I recommend even at this minimal level, that peeps play one game, then either hit the hot tub or the sun.

Saturday--VERY COLD. Then again, I decided that sleep is for sissies, so that might have something to do with it. I don't remember anything after the 1st quarter of the UT game, save that Jim Back decided it was time for a challenge. Given my condition, I painted myself as Sgt. Todd and prepared for death. However, the vaunted Jesus & Mr. Tasty vs. Jim Back and Anybody (Dito was in no conditon to fight) failed to happen.

Hell, the dangerous team of Jim & Navy had its hands full with Creepy Jesus, which is saying a heck of a lot about Creepy's late season development. Good job, Creeps. I'm changing my vote for Rookie of the Year.

This is for us vets--2 on 2 & 3 on 3 grudge matches are great, but we always have to remember that if people show up and want to play, you don't make them wait, especially at the end of the season. Such battles should be fought either before the official startup time, or at the end of the day...

On my own end, my cat-like reflexes were well off, but I could still serve. I'm not sure if it mattered, since most people just wanted games to end so they could get out of the pool and be warm. Kudos to Brooke & her friend for braving the dangerously cold Healing Waters.

We're getting to a part of the season where there are more guts than glory. It's hard to look like a superstar when you're freezing... Game play is down all around, due to weather conditions.

Sunday--Navy decided he wanted to be Chief, and try to drink everything before playing ball, with predictable results. Although you should never discount the power of the Healing Waters to keep the sailor on his webbed feet. At this stage in the season, three hours of game with long Preserve/Riata pauses in between feels like six. K-K-K-Ken said it best: "It's so cold, I don't care if I play anymore." But we kept on fighting anyway.

Honorable mention to Beth for getting in the water after she had refused to do so last year. That might get her some votes for "Toughest Player" this year...

Looking at the whole weekend in coach mode, there are two people who need to learn some things. I constantly suffer the Jim Back attack for my "hit from the 4" mantra in 2's or 3's games. This is an example of a million dollar talent and a ten cent head. He refuses to listen to anyone who recommends a strategy that doesn't reflect talents he's already mastered.

Pants is willing to hit from the 4, but does so very poorly. Pants needs game film, so he can see what he's doing, and explain to his point guard(s) exactly how to serve it up to him in this position. It can be explained, but until he sees how it works, it may not happen.

My response to the "I can't" line is that there are a lot of things I didn't think I could do in my water volleyball career, and a lot of things I shouldn't be able to do at 5' 10 1/2", 137 lbs, and 39 years of age, but I'm doing them, and I've only learned how to do them in the last couple of year from watching and listening to other players.

My own weakness on this is Pant's call for the backset instead of trying to hit or go over a block when I'm disadvantaged on the net. This is a very difficult move, as any point guard can tell you, but I will try to give it a shot.

Time for a poll. Was this the best season we've ever had, or the worst? Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. About half way through, we had some problems at home, but these forced us to do what we've been talking about for the last three years--expanding the player base by traveling and developing a website.

We still have a long way to go, and I don't have a lot of time. Navy mentioned that he ran into some guy at a bar that said he's got a squad that has played for 4 years together off of Brodie(?) and has never been defeated. Remind him of this. They should be first on our list for next year.

I suggest MORE development of the website in the off-season and MORE scouting next year.

If my job goes well, there is a chance (albeit a small one) that I will be leaving the Argosy in the next 1-2 years. Recruiting is down and the demographics are changing, anyway.

We, collectively, have a chance to make the obcession we're comfortable with into something bigger than we ever could have imagined. As we veterans face the Raider's problem (what is the average age of the Black Legion these days?), this is something to think about. Either we evolve, or we go the way of the Ronins...

You wanted an AAR, you got it, bitches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:54 pm 

Leon can't do everything baby!