AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Happy 4th
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:35 pm 

Some peeps were talking about the history of Riata 4th. What a long strange trip it's been...

Do we really miss the crazy old days of the wild wild north, with legions of the unskilled launching their assaults?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNn5TZu6R8

Not so much, I think.

We have defended the Hot Gates, ours to do with what we will.

And I think we did a good job today. People showed up early, I made it by 1. I will point out that peeps who won't play 4s (Kenny, looking at you) are just wasting time. It can and should be done. Like a community should, we worked today to keep the games fair, albeit moving slowly. Well, it's a holiday, after all. But That doesn't mean there has to be a holiday between every game!

I lost many today, and won few. So I can't talk much about what I believe were 2 dynasties on the day. First one I remember was another one of those games where 2 win team in the sun was suppose to lose, but didn't.

There is an advantage to chemistry. When you got it, you can beat teams that are better on paper.

On that note, one of my squads that was down 4-12 retook the lead, had game point, but lost 17-15: don't spot the other team 8 points to start out. Lead from the front. So much easier that way!

Notable plays: Wilbur hit a ball so hard from sun side all I caught was a glimpse of it as it blew by me, skipped, hit the wall, went about 30 ft in the air, and landed in the tree--back on the sun side!

My block on Creeps that just circled around in the air, and almost hit him in the head on the way back down on his side. I wanted to hit it again, but why bother? Shock and shame can also be an advantage! Joe mentioned I'm more aggressive when not among the tall trees. True that. Hard to get sun that way. I'm an option, even if I shouldn't be THE option...

Notable players--Walrus and Taz were killing it. Little Big Man/Sheriff Wescott is dusting the rust off from his secret journey. Sander Joey (shall we start calling him WJ--Water Joey?)--soo close to taking over games. Timing was just a little off.

But players of the day--that's ALL of you! Games could be lopsided in terms of scores, but everyone is playing well. Nice passes, good rallies.

These are great days we're living, Bros! We're jolly bronze giants, with volleyballs! Let the season be part of you, feel its energy flow through you.

Ballchair bless us, every one.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: Happy 4th
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:43 pm 

Ball Chair is King!