AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:57 pm 

It's a sad day for Panda Corps. Attorney Kent informs me that Tom has died. We've had players come and go, and retire, but never a death. Our friend will play no more with us on a court on this earth. He always came out with a big smile, and played his best, even after he was sick. He will be missed.

We should do a memorial for him, along the lines that are being discussed.

With that sad news starting off the day on Saturday, it was a good day. Rain did not stop us, and luckily passed for the most part allowing play. So play we did.

When I first got to the Obstacle, a team was down 0-8, and came back to win!

Two comments here. That's why I'm inclined to like the Darth Nowell analogy of the Way of the Baller: put the petal to the metal, play hard, win. I'd rather be up a bunch of points and struggle through to a win than the other way, but you have to be aware at this stage of the season that your opponents most definitely can come back.

#2: The possibility of a comeback is why we stick to old school sideout rules! While going through 6 rotations to get that last point is annoying, and doing same, NOT getting it, and losing, is even more annoying, I would consider it really unfulfilling to win rally style on a sideout. Kinda like winning a game on a "net" violation.

Limited turnout, but enough. With good play all around.

For whatever reason, my sets were back on. I sure hope it's not because I didn't eat before playing, because that's not a really healthy regimen.

That being said, still didn't win all that many. Which goes to the sport being a team sport. Individual performances are important, but you've got to string it together, and get chemistry. It's an intangible, but extremely important...

You know, like when the Jesus & Mr. Tasty show takes the field. Great old movie, now colorized and sound added.

Mikey was hitting hard. And yet, they'd come back. Scott showed up a little late, and blasted even harder. Great rallies and great digs out there.

Other good hitters were Jess, Dan, Jarrod, who's been playing well down the line. He got a couple of chances for second hits when his first ones came back.

Navy was able to sneak out to play and pull off some good serves.

We had a new guy show up late, right about the time we were going to do a rubber match. People were trying to make him wait another game, and threatening to go home if he got to play.

You know the rules! Losing team has to have someone sit, so new player can play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRljdzY3dXs

Sure, there are some factors to consider. But new guy made Dan's FB highlight reel setting Scott. Check it out.

I gotten the accusation: "Chief the Scrub Lover" I suppose I should wear that badge with pride, since most of you water babies were scrubs, with zero volleyball experience when you started, as I was.

Very simple, premise: if you don't get to play, you don't get to play, and have no chance. It takes a while even for "good" ballers from other venues to get the hang of the ways of water.

Think about how many chances you've all gotten over the years. Harder learning curve now, isn't it? See the old Argosy videos, that we were so proud of, back in the day.

See also Marcelo. Who spent a lotta time sitting off the coast watching our rock and roll before he got the stones to ask to play, and was allowed to do so.

So, yeah, if "scrub lovin" involves giving people a chance, then I'm that guy. It just makes sense from a management perspective.

The AWVP isn't only about who's playing now. It's about who will be playing, after father time thins the ranks of the progenitors.

It's just been proven that we are not immortal. Something to think about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg

Come on, guys. Wouldn't you like to see the game that we love so much continue with new players when you can't individually start anymore?

I for one would. If that makes me Chief the Scrub Lover, so be it.

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:09 am 

Addendum:

Last Saturday game to 21--4 on 4. New guy played. No mercy. He's cutting people up with his serves. Very excited to be winning. That's the proper attitude, ain't it, Savior

I had a couple players on my team who are way more used to the 6s, so they don't play 4s or 5s all that often. That's a weakness. So we lost 21-8.

Kind of the game where you think "why did I stay for this?"

4s ain't weird for me. I guess that's why I stayed. Over the long term, these games are teachable moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBxKT7EGKI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:56 pm 

great games i thought.

and yes, i was the one not happy with mixing up the rubber match. but its a rainy day with all players there for a very long time and no one else around. all your long worded ideologies i have always agreed with chef, i have always attempted to get anyone in the pool. so take it is easy fun boy - put your guns down

and the new guy can play too, which is nice

sorry to hear about Tom. he was a gentle spirit. getting old fucking sucks. RIP.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:42 am 

Any Dynasties w/ the Lip not in session?!? Dont worry...I will add yet another this coming wknd...Probably more than one as usual...

And damn, I was literally wondering if we'd have a Tom sighting again this season recently...Sad news...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 pm 

Well sure, there's a simple answer to all of my conundrums and postulations: "Just win."

But if the answer were that simple, and all encompassing, there would be no questions.

Chiefing an all comers public pool, IMHO, involves a balance of competition and camaraderie, you know, the kind of thing found in the Panda Corps mission statement that Creepy alluded to recently on FB Messenger.

Chiefing also involves looking at short term and long term league goals, which may not always be the same or be viewed the same way by all Pandas.

Also, if memory serves, the concept of best of 3 or best of 5(yeah, it used to happen), died many years ago, when turnout turned up a notch or two. Mixed blessing. But best of is still possible at noon ball or BT, so not entirely a lost art.

We're great at honoring ourselves. Let's just make sure we try to honor The Game as well. It is timeless, while we players are but shadows and dust.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:23 pm 

Chief wrote:
Well sure, there's a simple answer to all of my conundrums and postulations: "Just win."

But if the answer were that simple, and all encompassing, there would be no questions.

Chiefing an all comers public pool, IMHO, involves a balance of competition and camaraderie, you know, the kind of thing found in the Panda Corps mission statement that Creepy alluded to recently on FB Messenger.

Chiefing also involves looking at short term and long term league goals, which may not always be the same or be viewed the same way by all Pandas.

Also, if memory serves, the concept of best of 3 or best of 5(yeah, it used to happen), died many years ago,[i] when turnout turned up a notch or two[/i]. Mixed blessing. But best of is still possible at noon ball or BT, so not entirely a lost art.

We're great at honoring ourselves. Let's just make sure we try to honor The Game as well. It is timeless, while we players are but shadows and dust.

my point sir. don't let your rant miss your own point