AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AAR 8/19
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:50 pm 

Got up, ate, napped, as is my style. Started getting ready around 1:30, but ouch, despite all the clean living, body would not respond until 3:30. So what happened before that is beyond my purview to comment on.

Heard tales that Kenny Rogers was kicking ass early, saw a little of it myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eInUUfyqa5o

But you'll never believe who as on 2 dynasty teams? Any guesses? Can I tell you? It's the least I can do. But not yet...

Instead some digressions. I watched recorded AVP championship when I got home. Players on both sides were late 30s-early 40s. The reason I bring this up is, outside of yours truly and the other geriatric player I won't name who are 5 years older than the oldest of the rest, many of you Pandas are in their prime.

There was a suggestion that we do some changes next season in terms of roping off the court, reffing, and having score numbers that can be flipped by impartial officials. I'm in favor of all that, since not all of us can remember what the score is, and it might eliminate some of the arguing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41gT4eicrE

What I don't agree with is rally scoring. Here's why. It was designed to speed up games. And guess what? AVP isn't even consistent. Going back to the championship game that was on this afternoon, match point in last game best of 3 you have to serve to score? Why? Because! That's why.

For those of you who were taking a great deal of pride Thurs-Sun coming back from big deficits, like 14-4, or 17-9 in today's last game to 21, guess what? With rally scoring, that's basically not gonna happen. So much better making the other team chase those last couple of points then having some miss on your part end the game, don't ya think?

I digress. Back to games. Welcome Joey, the lefty master blaster, back to the world of the water babies. It's been a while. When he relearns to play dirty water fielding, he's gonna be a bigger factor. Also, remember, he's a lefty.

First team I played on took a risk putting me and Nate together on the front line against him. That could've gone horribly wrong. But luckily, I had Jonathan, Mikey, Scott, Kenny to help out.

Speaking of helping, when the tall player in front of me is getting ready to field a serve--got it, got it, got it, don't got it, that kinda throws off my defense. Took that serve right in the face. Locs shades broke! I'm now switching brands to Boomtown, which has a certain double entendre, given I've taken 3 solid blows to the head this season.

Other contenders today included Kent (one very nice dig), Woodcock, Wescott, Monkey, Tbone, Scully, Joe, Marcello, Dan.

My first team went dynasty. Then the struggles began. Failed to stop the mighty dynasty that was Wescott, Scott, Nate, Monkey, Woodcock, Marcello. Even though my squad was up 19-7 at one point, in last game to 21.

POD = Scott. Thought he was gonna fold from fatigue at one point, but didn't.

If you dear readers are paying attention, you will notice 2 names that were on both dynasty teams today (and dynasty, btw, was something that eluded all contestants yesterday.

Scott was just mentioned. The other big winner on the day was... Nate!

History abhors a vacuum. In much quieter fashion, superhero Nate Nightshield has been racking up an impressive number of wins, so there's an argument to be made that he should be co-player of the day.

Following a certain logic pattern I've heard put forth on this site, Nate knows how to pick a team, Nate knows how to bring out the best in his talent on said team, and in the end, it's all about the Ws. Scott wins 6, Nate wins 6. The rest of the performances pale in comparison.

I'll still argue I'm one of the hardest working men in show business. Get's harder every year. Tired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4F8kj0TYHs

See some of you next weekend. To the rest, good luck at the Hot Gates!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: AAR 8/19
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:02 pm 

Man, I sure do notice Dynasty roster makeup differences the sessions I am not in town...Should thank me for giving other PGs shots at getting Dynasties...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:13 am 

We can't miss you if you're always around, Lippy.

Best of luck in Dallas!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:39 am 

Also this: Scully, the Catskill comic. I get it because I'm old. New York might, because he's from the region.

Was Scully even born when this came out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MecU2keW54I

Lather, rinse repeat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4-gLlF0uw

He'll be here all the week!