AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AAR 7/22
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 am 

Son of a gun day 2 of fun in the hot sun. More like regular panda start time today--the league is getting older, such that these long hot weekends take their toll.

Turnout included: Kenny Tbone Kent Joe Navy Kyle New York Scott Jess Ford Creepy Monkey yours truly, special appearance by Lil TJ as a no doubt bemused spectator, blast from the past spectator Ronin Keith(!), yeah, I had to do a double take--apparently he's returned to Austin, and some new people: new girl again, and the little new guy, back for their second round of tryouts, and Ryan, who is tall. We found something he can do well--hit and block, like 4 stuffs on Kyle on the same play(!). Fielding, not so much... but stick with it. If I forgot anyone my apologies.

Without further adieu, let's turn to standout performances:

Player of the day--Attorney Scott aka the Walrus. The FB live material (camera is too far away!), only show part of his breakaway games, but they did catch a couple misses and a net call (why is that, Dan?). Basically, he was doubled all day at the net, with one player sliding behind for dink, and another on opposite side running angle patrol, and I'm not sure he was stuffed once. Also good on serves, and defense. He chumped me on back to server twice, and deep ball know your pool 3 times.

So basically he gave his opponents the Jefferson treatment out on the court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5f0Aqo4w&t=22s

As one player commented, "That's a large man." Or perhaps a Malrus??

Close second: Ford. History abhors a vacuum. With Mikey gone, the Jesus and Mr. Tasty show has become the Forf Tasty show. He's hitting well.

Jess did some very good work on serves. Pickin and placin.

Fish also had some tricky short serves going on. Didn't know he had it in him.

Joe's lefty jump serve can be scary, if he can land it as much as he does in practice...

New York and Kyle found their inner hitters. I think I can, I think I can...

Marcelo with his lefthammer could do it as well, if he remembered the above mantra. If I can do it, point guard, you can do it...

Dynasties were actually hard to come by. I think 1 on this day? Surprisingly, Scott, Jess, Navy, yours truly, me and the new girl and smaller new guy won a game, and almost came back from 2-12 deficit on the second one. That's why we play the games...

Turning to off the field issues, just when you think the Riata today is not the Riata of old, up comes the drunk girl, who says she's part of a group of sanders over yonder who have been watching and listening to our rock and roll, and they could totally play (they didn't), except they've heard rumors (I won't disclose who's spreading them here), that we are total assholes who don't let girls play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvUQcnfwUUM

So glad to know I haven't been showing up at the wrong pool!

Also clear the FAP program has a ways to go! But here's the thing that was heartwarming. As we were defending ourselves, the new little fella stuck up for us, too : )

If you want it to look like old Riata, get em in!

Broken record, but here's kinda how it goes... You can play. You may have to wait. We CAN (peeps are doing better about that these days) guarantee access, not outcomes. You come in with a full 6, wish you luck, but we play to win. Amazingly, I've recently seen a team come to face us and say they wanted to mix it up. Problematic, as already formed teams are going for the Ws, and dynasties.

Here's a thought, which I think we've tried once or twice before: new team wants to play and is bitchy, our team that wins current game sits, and the team that was "next" faces the newcomers. When they're gone (!), prior winners get back in, and it was like it was in the order before. This satisfies Ford's complaint about scrubbing counting against your victories. And we've done even more radical solutions on busy days--clear the pool, and let 2 new teams play. So it's maybe something we can try. And, hey, if they're good enough to actually win, that's the "next" team's fault, amirite? Just means "next next" has to wait a little longer, if we're that deep on any given weekend.

The one thing that warmed an old warrior's heart was when I was dragging my way into the Obstacle this Sunday, and it looked like the opening game was kicking off. I heard a call and response led by TBone: "Rule #1"? Everyone: "Have Fun!"

Now that's the kinda cult I'm proud to be a part of!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvUQcnfwUUM

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: AAR 7/22
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:09 am 

Gotta do something about these rumors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1p6Xbqrbx0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:23 pm 

I'm not surprised there are rumors. Just like in AMC's TWD, the Saviors get a bad rep on the Obstacle. Why is it the seemingly endless series of "Team Ricks" are the heroes? As opposed to the True Saviors who are out there every weekend, living the dream that is ball?

The Dream is open to all. You just have to have some skills, or be willing to learn some skills, and then learn them.

With that small(!) commitment, all that the league has to offer opens up to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQ4GidQP-k

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 pm 

Where else but here will you get a chance to meet an MVP in battle:

http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Maulrus

Someone needs to update their profile picture!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:30 pm 

Land version of AWVP combat this Sunday (taken from the archives of my first days of play):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yvyXxBOgVg&t=301s

F'ing Kurgan! I've fought them before. See one called College Boy. My annoyance with tall opponents grows the more times they kill me!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:40 pm 

Just remember, tiny kingdoms, courage--stand and fight. Go up if you have any chance of blocking at the net. No ducking or shirking anywhere on the court when the blast comes. It's the only hope you have of coming out with a win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9WK31KoeCg

Variable, even if unlikely, outcomes is why we play the games.