AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 7/8 AAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 am 

That chlorine is dynamite. I warned ye, but you did not listen!

We got pretty close to noon ball. I got there at 12:30. I was the 10th. 5 on 5 it is. Javi and Rafaa were captains. Rafaa said he didn't know the players out there, so LJ, who was on Team Javi helped him out--by stealing all available point guards except for me! Rafaa was outstanding. Rest of the team, not so much. We lost that one. Score actually got kinda close, so it didn't didn't reflect how bad we played/lost. I did block Javi in that game. Had to get that in there...

So many absent Water Babies--no Mikey, Navy, Ford, Jess, Dan. That's a starting lineup right there.

So we survived and adapted, and mixed it up a little.

But not without a great deal of arguing, even though we agreed not to argue and just do it up. The ways of sand and the ways of water are different, which will lead to some disagreements. But, I gotta say, sometimes, there were some silly opinions. My fave of the day, oddly enough goes to our sage ball scholar LJ, who called "net" despite the fact that literally everyone else inside the pool and out said hell no. Conversely, he's right that the scoopy lifts need to go. We're getting to the time in the season where we will have to have "the talk" with new players in competitive games about doing that.

It's an aspect of past history, but I don't care for sand dynasties on a water court. But I dislike LJ dynasties even more, due to the Lipping that will ensue when I'm not on his team!

So I shirted up, and rallied best available to do some dynasty busting: Scott, George, Jonathan, Jarrod, Joel/New York, and yours truly. That means others had to sit, though they got in next game. More on that later...

Thus was the LJ dynasty busted, after some more arguing. MVP Attorney Scott is preparing a brief on "the throw" he had against Baker when they squared up in the middle. It will be submitted in triplicate to the League Office. Great play by all. Jonathan in particular is born again hard. He's definitely starting material, and a candidate for most improved. Joel was playing great. Water Curious George being an asset goes without saying. As I've said before, Jarrod is playing better than I've seen him in about 3 years--another most improved candidate.

So then the strangest thing happened, on a rainless day at like 2:30. 5 LJs called it a day. All at once! Because the water was hurty! See opening of this post, and past warnings about toxicity. Over 2 days, I did 10 hours in those toxins. He did 2 hours. Let the stats reflect one Chief and many other ballers decided to tough it out and take the pain for 5X longer than 5 LJs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFefppqEtE

While that was an amusing sight to see, let's return to the positive. It is good to see the sanders showing up in force and enjoying what water has to offer. More of that is encouraged. As is the "mix it up" mantra that is now occurring. From my experience, that creates mutual respect.

With better players coming in, that may mean the game will be changing, but not really. Here's what I mean by that:

From my elder statesman's perspective, opponents get younger and taller every year, I stay the same height and age. Watervolleyball is a sport, not recreation. That's why we keep score. So skill is a factor. In terms of BBGs (Big Boy Games for the uninitiated), you have to display it, and be an asset to your team, on a game by game basis, to get and keep a starting position.

But, humbly submitted, there are going to be people who want to play who can't always meet the BBG standards. What then? Because, always emphasized, it's a public pool, and people who want to play have rights. The greater the number of skilled players, the harder it will be to protect these rights.

Something we need to be mindful of. "Get in where you fit in" is the best I can come up with, and if someone wants to play, be willing to play with them. Even if they don't know anybody.

See the Marcelo Factor for how than can work out in the positive. I'm reminded of the image of him from last awards ceremony sitting off the court and watching our rock and roll.

We can be tough to approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leeoJLBtLIw&t=14s

But everyone should have a chance. Remember Navy's concept of FAP: Friend Acquisition Program. What happens after that is in the realm of talking the talk and walking the walk, Ballchair's Will in the games that are played, and social dynamics. Some will make it, most won't. Welcome to the NFL, Rookies!

As I may have opined in previous posts, we CAN guarantee access to the court, if you're patient and wait your turn. We can't guarantee outcomes, or what your team is gonna look like if you don't have a full one.

Problem is, for those who do not hail from the sand or water Jedi Orders, is that we make this game look easy. And it's not. They are quite often shocked and surprised as a team when the game has ended after a few short minutes. Or, as individuals, when they get on the court and it turns out they can't do much, if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vhGEGJC8g

We had one of those this weekend. But it's very important that they are invited to try. Followed by another whodat team Gronk seemed to know from the hoop courts. I stuck around to play some of those so there would be enough players. Make sense?

Returning to the positive, the return of Tbone! He fixed the net in short order, and always brings the good vibes, just like Mr. Fezziwig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9fUDINER2w

That's Country Hour, Dickensian style.

"Everybody relax. No one's in trouble!" Truer words have never been spoken. Just fun in the sun, with a little bit of ass kicking involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUzd9KyIDrM

See you next weekend, Pandas!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: 7/8 AAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:40 am 

Tiffany said it was net as well

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 am 

One of the residents who I'll leave unnamed complained to the office about the chlorine, so Chemical Ali's cousin (the maintenance guy), and office manager came out and told us it's perfectly normal to lose all our hair.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:35 pm 

Comments on the comments:

Well, LJ, I guess I couldn't hear Tiffany's support for your bad call over the disbelief and laughter of the other 30 people inside the pool and out. Remember, by fairly established AWVP precedent, it takes TWO calls IN the pool to establish net. I've been mistaken myself, but tend to respond more along the lines of if everyone else is saying you got it wrong, you probably did, rather than doubling down.

Ronin's great post:

Coming to a theater near you: The Hurt Obstacle. I bet those suits are expensive, I wonder if they are waterproof, and I doubt they will help with mobility.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:42 am 

Net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:57 am 

Nice trick:

Shorter: L