AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sunday noon ball 2018
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 pm 

First noon ball of the season. I got there at 12:15, which is about as on time as I will ever be.

Lost the first game, which was played to 21 because??? And that was basically it for my day. Played 3 more times in 5 hours, basically on pickup slaughter teams. It means I don't have a lot to say about games I didn't play in. So it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBxMPqxJGqI

This is what I can say from the sidelines. Looked like a wonderful day. Big turnout, especially among the sanders. Something Navy was talking about--it is good to see smiles on sander faces when they play in water. It's been that way for the last couple of years. Didn't used to be that way.

Not sure if we had a pure sand-water matchup in the early games. But if Dub is a sander every time because LJ says so, then Baker can be water. I will point out that "water" team got to 15 in the 21 game before "sand" did.

First game gassed me, so I sat in favor of taller younger New York. That seemed to so something, because the winners of the 21 game got slaughtered in second game to 15. I think they got 2 points. What's up with that? That's why we play the games. The chant was "shame, shame shame!" That warms the cockles of my old water heart! As did my hardscrabble team's loss 15-10 to Team Sandshamer. We scored 5 times as many points as LJ's squad did, with about 5 times less talent. HAHAHA. That's why we play the games. So it goes.

I think we maybe had one dynasty all day, meaning games I didn't play in were pretty competitive. And damn if that competition/lack of dynasties didn't screw things up, from my bench perspective. Two new teams every 3 games would've been awesome. Didn't happen.

Performances: Jarel and Rafa are really, really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbMk-8701M

I now know why Jarel was talking smack on the messenger chat list. He just needs to turn the absolutely best standout performance ever witnessed from a rookie player since Chrissy Glenn graced the pool with her presence into more wins! "Not a short man's pool" was his line. True dat. I know that all too well.

On the water side, Mikey and Scott put in their usual strong performances. Absent Jess and Forf hurt team water immensely. Dub serves were strong, as was his fielding of Rafa bombs. Don't let them heat up.

The woodcock is a bird, right, because one of the funniest things I've seen in my 26 years in the game was him flapping his arms in the air on the sun side because he couldn't see the ball. That and LJ almost wrapping himself in the net after a play. Speaking of nets, it needs to be tightened up. Tbone, where are you???

Monkey Steve had some of the best games I've seen him play. Gronk and Nate are setters! Birthday Dan the tiara wearing man did well.

When sand meets water, there will be disagreements. Fair trade I think is lifts get called, as do deep dish sets. Advantage water I think, because there was more pizza than elevators out there today, from my sideline perspective. See the "Joe throw" Our ways are different, leading to different calls and interpretations. I will say this, there was a lotta net abuse today that wasn't getting called. We'll figure it out. Game can get cleaned up.

All in all, a good exchange of cultures. Even from a spectator's perspective. Ballchair has graced me with a chlorine overdose and painful leg rash, in his wisdom.

See ya on the 4th, ballers! Caution, this is Sparta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:13 pm 

Addendum: Jarrod had an amazing performance in game 1.

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:29 am 

Thanks Chief. great games. We need to do that more often.

I enjoyed beating LJ. that needs to happen more often too. Thanks for cooking LJ and Javi, and thanks for bringing new friends. Nice to see George and Baker again, and meet some new guys like Jerel. Thats a hitter. Moar please.

Nice to see Edub getting back into form too.

There was one dynasty and it was delicious. then came a bit of super team to stop the only other close one. alos delicious

you got a date wednesday baby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:53 pm 

We can definitely say the masses came out in force...Jerel probably entered himself into Spiker of the Year, Blocker of the Year (category that needs to be added), and MVP in his first session...And we know Rookie Award is finished, over, toast. done...

Games were mostly good...Even the 2nd 15-2 beatdown to prevent our dynasty we stretched out a good 20 plus minutes...Jerrod did have his best day in years...

Mikey kept his quick serving in the deep seam/6 area was really the difference I felt in my rare multiple loss session to his teams in like forever :)

The sanders are catching the bug big time finally, and that is gonna mean some changes in the 'perceived hierarchy'...The serve receive & setting in general is flat out better, and when athletic sanders get the intricacies of defense down its gonna really change things...I mean it wont change the idiotic voting at Awards Ceremony, but it will def change the level of game competition...

As to playing time: One, Chef you are too nice, and choose to sit out which I dont feel sorry for you...Riata is a jungle we dont own as youve pointed out many times...You want trigger time, then make it happen...And TWO, which is by far more important: Build winning squads, and win those games...Thats the best way to stay in the pool obviously...

I am in for July 4th, and Sunday, the 8th...Would love to do early ball again on Sunday, but just order pizza...Early ball is where we get the best games...Do yall have it in yall to be dedicated to our version of BBGs is the question by showing up early consistently?!? I have my doubts, so prove me wrong...

Oh, and Mikey, the reason is feels so good to finally beat me a few times yest is I have by far the highest non-hitter winning % in the AWVP for many seasons now...Fact Sir...And other Fact: You did play lights out yesterday!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 pm 

ha thanks man. good to get some wins. i think was like 2 and 8 or some shit the weekend before

i learned the serve from dub and baker.

MOAR

Jerel (sp?) got it fast obv. good to see rafa too. SOB blocked the shit out of me, which i didn't appreciate

i am in the Forf and early. holidays are a nightmare out there by 3pm. we need to be 3 teams deep of talent and be ready quickly send off the wandering drunk patriotic scrubs