Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3rd June AAR: Saturday
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 am 

Chief's log: year of the league:26

We'll start here, just because our new wild Gronk had never heard this ditty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw

I'm told there were off the field reasons for his condition. Sorry. We're all allowed to have days like that. Let's move on:

Today was a good day of ball. I'll start with my perspective:

When I'm not on a team full of tall trees, this little plant can sometimes shine. I was able to move and groove, work hard, and hopefully, do my job, most of the time. Blocked Mikey once, put one right down his grill from a Ford set(thank you), blocked Ford once for a big shutdown (shhh), got a footer in the mix. Worked hard. This court mix was a Chief friendly environment!

Glad to see Ford back in the mix. Smart player who's coming back off injury (less said about the injury, the better). Good coach, too* (more on that later).

I think everyone had their moments, which is the point, isn't it? Everyone can be a God for 5 minutes, or one play.

Usual suspects: Mikey, Scotty, Jess with the power, in no particular order. Jess has become a way stronger hitter now that he's got Marcello as his setter. That's a dynamic duo to watch.

Scully had some hitting plays today (don't forget about your options, team). Spoons had some wicked servers. Woodcock is just underused. Kent had some good plays, and some uniboo boo plays...

Shout out to Nate on a couple of situations. If you're generally not the "go to guy" but nobody is doing anything, or your team is under water, and it's third hit, make the move. Nate made the move. That shows good awareness.

On scrubs: we had some. But they were very respectful, did exactly what we expect out of them: they put a shirt up, and got slaughtered. They wanted their scrubbiness to be mixed up between 2 teams, which wasn't possible, because my 6 facing them was about to go dynsasty. But this is the important part. They put a shirt up again, and kicked their drunk/suck friends off the team, so they could have a chance of winning. Mikey, Bunny, Navy, and Scott got in with the last 2 scrub survivors, and made a game of it.

That doesn't suck.

And, at long last, let's turn to the Gronk. Gronk is as Gronk does, and he's pretty wild. But trying to change a winning lineup so that you can get more trigger time at the net, as a new guy in this league, and getting mad at Coach Ford because you refuse to line up on the net against Mikey, like a 6 time spiker of the year winner? Cue ESPN: C'mon, Man!

Here's my Gronk instructional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_4RT1qb29E

Gronk, you're not the guy on the horse, you're the one who got struck down early because you wanted to go out there and fight everyone by yourself, rather than playing team ball to work together.

Can the Gronk learn? Opinions vary. But when he heard others mocking what he'd been saying, he did say: "That can't be good." And he calmed down a little.

Magnificent 7: (from our perspective): very young and very proud. Yes, the graveyards are full of players who are very young, and very proud. And we put them there! That's something we have to live with. I can live with it. I've learned to...

Note to the "new" players. This is a very old league. You can play out here for 5 years, and not start. Hell, Jess has been playing for at least 10, and just got himself a setter who understands him--Marcello! Rookie of the Year for sure.

But here's the thing: when you're facing down a bunch of greybeards in a young man's game, they might just be survivors for a reason.

Respect your elders will fall on deaf ears. Sometimes painful lessons are in order. To be repeated, as necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQ4GidQP-k

See you tomorrow!

Death from above! Fire down below!