AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Juneteenth Sunday AAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:04 pm 

Newsflash--the return of Forf Manaforf to the Obstacle. I guess he is allowed to remove the ankle bracelet that alert the authorities if he gets within 100 yards of a kickball game in order to play the one true sport. He wanted to play every game, and with a little duct tape, he was able to put his game back together.

He got to get in with a very strong team. Super team in fact. A lotta good players all showed up at the same time, making them dry and ready to go. And I'm ok with that, just as long as there was no collusion. Who says showing up early is great? I missed the window by being 20 min too early while being an hour late at the same time. He was mad at me when I didn't pick him up on captaining. Captains on a very busy day confuses me, especially when it comes to mixing drys and recently wets. I'll just say it's not a day of ball unless someone is mad at me for something.

Like I said, I was told there would be no math.

Speaking of math, echoing my performance last Sunday, I lost every game again this Sunday. I got to lose with many different players. Played with LJ in my first game, and we lost 12-15 after being up big. Lost a close game with Mikey, Bunny, Jonathan, Marcelo, Scott that went to extra innings.

I don't think Mikey has won in a while now. Navy has also struggled with W-L percentage. Pretty sure they can still start on most teams out there.

So it goes. All you can do for your team is play the best ball you can play, win or lose.

What going 0-fer means is that I can't contribute much constructive to the course of the games I didn't play in. Because, while math is a struggle for me, if you lose, you sit more games than you do if you win. Unless, of course, you're sitting by design, which is a tactic I have occasionally frowned on, depending on the circumstances.

I'll let those who won more than a few fill in the tales of their derring do. My comments here will be (mainly) outside the court spectator criticism.

There were some really good rallies--that's the positive.

But on game in general, I'm going to agree with LJ. Yeah, you heard me. I think this day was one of regression. At this stage in the season, do we really need instructions on the basics?:

First pass needs to be good pass, or finishing the play will be difficult. This is one of the reasons I sometimes don't care for designating a single "hands" player. This can be too much pressure on first passer. Go wherever it's easy.

Similarly, drawing up a play is great, but don't limit your options.

Just as important, or moreso, serves need to be over the net and in bounds. Usually best to start your season going for the middle of the pool--nice and simple, then try the tricky stuff--dial it in slowly. I'd say 3 service errors in a game is going to be disadvantageous, and more than that is likely to be fatal.

We were a bit lifty on occasion, yours truly included. Something we will need to clean that up before the Dallas playoffs, if they happen.

Even the Superteam underperformed in their first game together. Got stronger in the next 2 wins, of course.

There were a lotta people out there. As I've said, that's both good for the league (if there are more ballers, prospective ballers, and fellow travelers than there are other people enjoying the non ball pool amenity, that's kinda a good thing when it comes to selling it to management, right?) but bad for the game, in that chiefing and good battles in BBG fashion become that much more challenging. I will concede more is not always better, and is often worse. But interest means we're doing something right, and that's what's important in the long term.

Second newsflash! Spoons sighting. For those not versed in ancient Argosy lore, ask how he got his nickname. He hasn't been around in a while, and didn't suck, beyond getting caught in the net like 10 times. His team needs to tell him about the new rules!

There is a dream that is noon ball. History tells us it's a unicorn, that visits us about twice a season. Not entirely my favorite. Always difficult for me. Probably a combination of the years, mileage, and rock and roll lifestyle.

That being said, there have been some times where I can recall showing up and saying 1 pool no waiting, and getting crickets, or a trickle of players.

We really do have a lot of ability to make the game what we want it to be--3 rolls in the bathroom, enough big boy players, and all is well with the world. As always, it's what we do with all this power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0sqfRQE3k

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:35 am 

Not every game. Just thought when I was playin well (for my first day this year because of an injury) that I might be drafted to play and gets some reps in. Just disagreed with how the draft went considering 4 out of 6 were picked before me. So I get stuck in a bad rotation and have to sit. Luckily taz sat when he didn’t have to and changed the dynamic a little. I never bitch about playin time but am just tryin to get back into the game and make games better. Guess that’s frowned upon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:29 am 

I admire that. What concerns me is off the field issues that take good players out the game, for at least the second time in their career, involving injuries sustained in a pursuit that is not water related.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm 

One of my more preferred AARs from Chiefy...I still don’t understand why we got in trouble for drafting strategies.... I could only take 2 wet players, so I took best hitter, and best passer...I mean the goal of captaining is to win a dynasty...Which we did...Chef had 3 wet picks, so I’d blame him at least 33% more than me for perceived slight...I have ridiculous winning % for not being a hitter, and have not been drafted twice this year...Irony of both those times is team that should have taken me lost, and then I got a dynasty team in after captains game...

Players need to understand that w the addition of Marcellus I really only care about getting 2 hitter/blocker types, and rest decent passers to win..In fact I believe Marcellus/Lip teams are 11&1 on young season...Give me a great passing team all day ftw!

Lesson is everyone that still struggles w basics as mentioned by our YouTube leader needs to finally learn how to serve receive/pass for Gods sake...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 pm 

More point guards, finally. It's been many years in the making.

Recommendation--let Marcelo play front middle position, with more experienced PG playing the backfield, where the rookie struggles on both fielding and decision making. He's already a plug and play front middle player.

Dry/wet drafting still confuses me. I want to start by drafting all the dries, then the wets to fill in, to make sure no dry who wants to play is left behind. But we did it the other way.

It makes me sad that the whiteboard I bought for Riata one time (never used) has gone missing. May have to do it again. Because looking around a busy pool can mean you miss people. See the now classic "Scotty miss" at a our relatively organized first noon ball Riata game (video now lost to history after cursory search). Easier if there are names of available players on a board, or something.

I've also been a fan of just getting all the dries in the pool, where they can be easily counted, and then sorting out the teams vis a vis height and skill accordingly.

Not sure drafting works out any better. LJ's drafts nonwithstanding. A lotta people suck at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:18 pm 

Another point of agreement with LJ: lineups are important

All things being equal, I'm still a fan of the tried and tested "points down the middle" formation. Means the two setters are never on the net at the same time, tends to initially take the middle of the pool away from the server, and facilitates outside hitting from both front and back row.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:39 pm 

thanks for your thoughts chief

my 2 cents are really about passing and playing smart. its been 10+ years with some folks and still lots of issues with spacing and receiving serves. the reason i got so damn mad is i lost 2 games in a row where my team got served out on with like 5+ points in a row. all serves were not hard to field. none of them were to me. and i just fucking sat there watching us lose over and over again

place your spaces.

no one is going to serve you on the wall. don't cover the wall, cover the pool.

its easier moving forwards than backwards. no one is going to serve between you and the net, and that magical foot you are covering there.

10+ years and the same mistakes over and over. gotta pick it up.

my usual time to trend my shit down. sorry, don't mean to be that grumpy. i want to play hard and fast and better. always.