AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: June Sunday AAR2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:50 pm 

Showed up at what in days of yore was kinda a regular start time, to find a pool full of pandas, waiting pandas, and a team of challengers. I guess I shoulda called it a day after I mowed the lawn. Today was not my day. Winless in the 4 I played.

But it is almost always better to play than not to play. Like I said, it's a long season...

Rumor has it LJ won some dynasties today. Would've won more if he could just play with 5 LJs and one hitter. I'm sure he will be correcting that statement and thanking his teammates for their performances soon enough. I'll leave it to him to recount the tales of derring do and add a little self aggrandizement.

On league rules--there are none, or very few, and they only really address what goes on in the pool: one foot on the wall when you serve, don't touch the net. That's pretty much about hit. Outside administration is flexible, optional, sometimes non existent.

Point of order: when you've got a busy day and a lot of pandas are dry and waiting, all drys should be playing when a game ends. Now, you can go one of 2 ways with this--dry player with shirt up picks their team out of available drys, and then the other drys pick up a couple of players from the losing (not Dynasty) team. Conversely, get all the drys in the water, and herd them into matchups that seem fair. Other players can fill in or sit as is their wont.

What's not supposed to happen is that after the who's playing machinations have concluded, that people who are dry are left out, and people who just played 3 in a row are back in. That sends a very bad message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyM4uAJBujA

Luckily, Marcello, our early rookie of the year favorite, understands this, and sat so Nate could play. That's called the concept of fairness, and sportsmanship, something Marcello has already learned, along with a positive attitude and good team spirit.
We have much to learn from him! And, lo and behold, Nate went on to play on a couple of big winning teams.

It just seemed strange to me that Scott and Javi ended up on the same team basically all day. They were very dominant. Kind of goes without saying these days. Not saying there was collusion. Once Mueller is done with his current investigation I'll ask him to look into it.

Sometimes we've got competing agendas out there: W-L, and inclusion. At the latter stages of my career, I would rather fail on by preferencing the latter option. You don't play, you don't learn. If you always end up playing with the same players against the same players, you don't learn the crucial interchangeable parts aspect of this game.

Example: Jonathan is a good baller. Especially on the front line. The man needs some sets. Kenny Rogers will do more if you give him more to do. Kyle got a couple of looks today in a losing effort, but that's a win, because he got to make the plays. How many years do people have to wait in the wings before you give them a chance to make a play?

Nice to see Joe and Chris Jay back at the pool again. They were like the little girl with the curl today--when good, very very good--when bad, bad.

Tbone and Jess had some strong plays today.

Best game of the day from what I saw was the last one, to 21, where those that had for the most part been fighting and losing all day denied LJ another dynasty. Sun was a factor.

We haven't even discussed Navy's FAP program. Today was not the day for that. Too many of us. But if people are hanging out and watching, if they borrow a ball and start hitting it around, they might want to play. I'm reminded of Marcello hanging out off the coast, listening to the sound of our rock and roll last year. Sometimes, inclusion makes us stronger. Even if it initially messes with your W-L percentage in the quest for those precious tin cans at the end of the year.

Just saying. See you next weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1HhblSEXoc

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: June Sunday AAR2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 am 

Lets set some things straight...Ive played on plenty of buoy teams through the years...I got caught in a good rotation yesterday...Id also argue til end of time that I make teams w/ a hitter or two way better than any other non-hitter (despite Awards evidence), but I will take that every big man wants to follow me in the pool...Marcello is already IMO a top 5 passer/setter/server basically because he had years of indoor libero exp, and plays the 'smart' game...Sounds like familiar formula for a good W-L % mentioned a few times in this AAR...

I am going to pick on College Boy here: Is he w/o a doubt still Top Tier player? Hell yes...Does he win way more w/ the Lip? Hell yes...Has he done a lot of losing when not following me in a game playing against the other bigs that have me? Hell yes...W-L ratio is the factual evidence...Despite my trash talking it cannot be argued that I am not an unselfish glue player...I will put my +/- up against anyone's not named Edub or Javi...

Oh, and I recruited Marcello more than anyone...Ask him...

Finally, I have a final message: Ignore my mouth, and take note of the Ws because I know my role, and do it better than all the other non-hitters...Why do yall think I love this game...It has a niche role that many other sports dont have, and it has allowed me to be a top tier player...

PS: I dont know if anyone has noticed, but Creepy has almost become unstoppable force on front row entering that top tier w/ Edub, Javi, Mikey, and Scotty...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:59 am 

Also, I will admit I dont see much reason to recruit permanent buoys...There are buoys w/ hope, and then there are the ones that we play around, and hope dont show up...Recruiting the buoy savages just to recruit does us no good...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 pm 

Thank you for your additions to the narrative.

I will remind once again, where we play is not a Prosper mansion. It's a public pool. So you invite people who look interested to play. Not to play in a BBG, of course. But in the course of a day, there has to be some way to get em in.

FAP program, remember? It's easier when they come individually, or a couple at a time, rather than a group.

We've seen this many times before. A bunch of newbs get in together, and get slaughtered. Sunday was a prime example. No need to fluff, but no need to go full bore either, unless you have to burn through 3-4 teams of scrubs (4th of July quote from Forf: "Kill em faster, Chief" "Dammit, I'm killing as fast as I can!"). Ultimate goal is that they somehow get a point in the course of the struggle.

In watching the latest lesson that this game isn't as easy as it looks, and we're pretty good at it, I noticed 1 or 2 of the not us players didn't 100% suck. Tbone was gracious in saying, "Thanks for trying. Most people don't have the courage."

But it can be taken a step further: approach those 1-2 players, and tell them the facts of life: if your team wants to play again as a team, they'll lose again. But you might have some skills. So it's basically you, or your friends. You want to play with them, show up early. Real game starts at 3. Make the choice.

That's harsh, but it's about the best we can do, because it's truthful.

Even the new 1s and 2s who want to get in usually don't want to anymore once they've been in the Obstacle arena.

See Dillon. Brand new resident, who played ball in high school. Well, that helps. Played one game, has been out there since, and hasn't played again. But at least we made the offer.

And that is very important. Here's why:

For the uninitiated, we're the Walking Dead equivalent of the Saviors, not Team Rick. That's why I put Saviors on a volleyball.

As such, you have to let those who might have the will and skill have a chance to potentially join, if they can make the cut. What will happen to their friends is gonna happen to them anyway!

Here's what this simple engagement avoids: "Those guys won't let us play!" Not true. You can play. We just can't guarantee outcomes, just predict them. As a group, you're just not going to win. Those of you with some potential can find your way into the mix.

By just talking to the scrubs, and telling them a little of the facts of life, you can avoid complaints.

All they will be left with is: "Those guys are too good for us to beat, and they're there all the time. That's not fair."

That's a far weaker argument than the court is closed to new players. Make sense?

I'm informed on this somewhat familiar refrain by my long years of chiefing at the old Rebel Base. One hater, ONE, can cause a lot of problems.

It's kind of like Dan's new 3 roller bathroom etiquette. When we had spare DVDs, I'd randomly gift them to new players who played with thumbs. Spreading the gospel while scaring the shit out of them with the strength of our cult. Make sense?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:26 pm 

I sometimes believe you forget I’ve played at Riata since 05, and was a resident for 6 plus years from 9-15...I understand the apt dynamics as well or better than anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 am 

I remember the Riata dynamics circa 05:

Big TJ banned for 3 years for something he didn't do.

Security up the ass at the exclusive resort community. I had to lobby for like a year to get my dirty philly Argosy team through the door. I think we all remember what happened after that...

It was a win and stay in pool. All day. With a stacked team for law and order and self preservation from the barbarian hordes no doubt. But then they lost to the interlopers they mistakenly thought they would slaughter in a very close best of 3 challenge, where, in old Riata fashion, all close calls go to the home team.

Ladies play ball at old Riata? Surely you jest. Until Argosy marched its women up there...

In short, we from dirty philly shared our culture with the exclusive resort community starting circa 2005. Could've been earlier. Depose Attorney Kent about when I first faxed him the Argosy-Riata challenge. There was a case style. It's legal!

I think it's gotten better since then. And we did it together.

Those who prefer the good ol' Riata days, or wish to gravitate more toward them should speak now in response to this.

And, once I was allowed in the door, and often barred from playing at my own home Argosy court, I've adopted this mantra:

I serve at the pleasure of the Riata residents.

Think on that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am 

Ahh contrail monfraie. We had more girls play at Riata until AWVP took over actually...That’s when our games got too competitive for gals & newbies. See, I was there for all of it...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:23 am 

I'll give credit where credit was due, that your history as a resident is better than mine. But all I really ever saw up there was a Superteam, or a purported one, and that includes when Alex was trying to form one in Riata's nadir, after the erstwhile local bully boys had departed. Did I miss the kinder and gentler side of win and stay in when Fish was chiefing up there? Or the implementation of rules of fairness and the concept of "redo" vs constant bias and arguing? Did you hide the women and scrubs when the Argosy barbarians came to visit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEp76ppPc8o

How did you manage that? Because Riata was known as the untameable Wild West: too much chaos for law and order and good game to prevail. Always in danger of being overrun by a massive army of scrubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo1fNO6bx48

Another question comes to mind--given the now revealed history of the pre-Argosy Riata oasis that was before the Saviors came, a place of comity, good fellowship, caring, sharing, and tolerance, where all were allowed to play according to their ability that Burning Man would be envious of--why were you unable to institute the no net rule (which we have both agreed with for many years, I just didn't want to ref it) in the exclusive resort community?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 am 

I'll tell you what I saw change things into what they are today: Tbone had a lot to do with it. The Mr. Fezziwig approach to chiefing had the unique advantage of never being tried.

h/t to Misty and Joe for being willing to go to management in support of keeping their amenities.

Watervolleyball is not a crime. In the old days, from my experience, it was the most disciplined thing going on out there, and still is to this day.