AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Memorial Day Sunday
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm 

Well, for various reasons, most of the regular starters decided not to grace us with their presence today. Good. That gives the second unit time to shine.

Today we had Jarrod, Grizzle, Scully, Kenny, Nate, Jonathan, Marcelo, Monkey, Fish, Kyle, yours truly, Woodcock, and a couple others. Started with 4s, graduated to 6s.

On classic rivalries, first there was Bird and Magic. Today it was Kenny and Jonathan. With Marcelo and me playing the respective assist maestros for this orchestra of smack.

Kenny was possessed by the combined spirits of Taz and Lip today. Wouldn't shut up. To which Jonathan responded with: "Kennyyyyy" The Gambler's teams started out on the short end of the stick, but evened things up as the day went on. While sand skills often don't translate all that well, this ain't true for Jonathan. He was an impact hitter today. Timing way better than previous years. K & J were the only talls out there today. Can't wait for the rematch.

Play was all round pretty good. Passing and rallies existed more than they didn't.

Other notables: Kyle went on some impressive serving runs. Woodcock came in wanting to hit, and was obliged, including a line spike he hit while out of bounds on the bad side off a give and go set from me. Is that even legal? Where are Javi and Ebub to argue the point? Jarrod played solid. Grizzle, while still operating as something of a one man band, was quite satisfied with a good spike he made on the tall Riata net. Scully got to be a hitter. Nate got a kill, and soldiered on through the day in spite of cramping up very early.

Can't resist this one: for game point it was me vs Kyle on the net. As soon as the pass came my way I started laughing because I can tell the future--I knew Kyle was going to go up and I was going to dink it over him with my back turned to the net. Predicting the future doesn't always work well in your favor. I can also tell when I'm going to get beat on a play sometimes.

End of day. A group of new guys started to trickle in. Me and Jonathan decided to help them out. We got to game point before losing.

I'm going to continue chasing that newbs beat regulars dragon. This is like the 4th time I've almost gotten there. And if I can ever pull it off, as Scully mentioned, the new guys will get hooked, and we'll have new players.

Tomorrow puts the cherry on top of the weekend. See you there.

Death from above! Fire down below!