AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AAR "Pro Bowl" Sunday
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:30 pm 

Tbone and Riata are starting to see the fun friendship benefits of the "extended season." In old Argosy parlance, this is the post season, which can continue into November, warmth permitting. I used to be the canary in the coalmine in terms of when it's too cold. Now it's Navy. When he get's hypothermia, the season is over. History abhors a vaccuum.

Today was a lot like yesterday--following Tbone's Rule #1--have fun! But this time, with more funny, delivered for the most part courtesy of Navy: "This level of incompetence is rarely witnessed." Will he be here all the week?

I showed up late, to witness the 4 bigs vs 5. To their credit, the big, who won, could've picked up me and Woodcock, the first two lates to arrive, which would've been within their rights. But that really would've stacked the teams. Instead, we mixed it up.

Eventually, Mikey stole all the available point guards--Navy, me, Bunny, to go on a run. Picking up Dub and Javi didn't hurt. To borrow from a long forgotten guy who used to post his above ground backyard pool exploits from somewhere in Tennessee, this "team of soul" went on to Dynasty. Something that eluded any team on Saturday.

How did this happen? Let me turn it over to Navy again: Javi built a wall, and made Scotty pay for it!

There was also the contribution of Back Row Dan, who decided to abandon palms for overhand returns on some key plays. Sing it with me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxX18WZ6Glw

We were also able to overcome the danger formation of one big in the middle and two smalls on the outside, mainly because of the continued stunning setting of Bunny, and some Mikey sets to yours truly for hits that all went in, with a couple of kills.

Which leads to the oldest movie in the AWVP, which just seems to get better with time--Jesus n Mr. Tasty show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBb9hTyLjfM

Dub's shoulder wasn't as sick as he made out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSjvgSHK0f0

Contributions from the Sailor and Forf should not be neglected.

Other notables: new guy just moved in. Tall, and took to the game quickly for an absolute rookie. Wonder Woman played great, and even knew what round it was after Mikey beat on her.

I must be missing something... what could it be? Oh yeah, LJ showed up.

Sometimes, when you show up really late, it can work for you. Other times, you're out of the rote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFCaIAnETk

No tears will be shed for the way it went today, except for in LJentina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxjl_2a-gFM

BBGs can be arranged. That means arranging them. Otherwise, ball is like a box of chocolates. I, too, have heard the siren's song of sitting to stack. But I rarely do it. You go to war with the team you have.

Even on BBG days, there are blowouts. Is it productive to go all Mr. Positive on the best of the best when that happens? Then there are the normal days, where teams look through their opponents to the next win, or toy with them, because they're supposed to win on paper, then don't. THAT'S WHY WE PLAY THE GAMES.

Here's a tip for the Lip: playing "mistake free ball" is the standard. That's what's expected. The goal is to go above and beyond, without being so shellfish that you blow it. And that's a fine line. You gotta be the hardest working man in show business, day in, and day out, so that you secure within can say, opponents do thy worst, for I have played to day, and that I'm working too hard to be losing this bad.

Wins have happened with worse odds than were faced today--nerds and birds. Proud to play on those teams. So in closing I say play, don't bitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVYSd_fFv0

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 am 

Oh man...Too much to disagree w/ here...But still an okay to good recap...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 am 

i am so soar. some great games

kudos to lip from recovering from his jousting (jet mouth and then losing) and taking it like a man with malikai after. if thats not reverse foreplay, then what is?

i felt bad for wonder woman. the head block (which still went in on her side) was a almost a direct blow. net helped out a bit. got her again later on a cross spike. her block on forf was awesome.

jesus and mr tasty ride again. also starting Navy, Bunny, Javi and Edub. hows that for an all-start team?

balls, i say

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:38 pm 

Literally played 5 games, and had 3 mistakes total. No missed serves, sided out at about .800 which is near perfect, and set as good as I've set all season. Doesn't matter if Malakai'd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 am 

We've all had to deal with a hole or two in the phalanx.

I'm willing to accept those facts, even if it means a low (or no) winning percentage.

I'm willing to do it because of the alternative--stack your team, win and stay in. In the beginning, that's exactly what AWVP was against, and largely still defeats when we find it.

While that strategy is great at honoring yourself, it does little or nothing to adding balance to games, let alone recruiting, provided those are goals, and they are for me, and should be for others.

Case in point, put out on the chatty text list, a game which was witnessed. A bunch of tall frisky kids wanted to play, who had never played before, and no one would play with them. So I did. Lost, 17-15. But we had point. And then I(!) missed my serve to finish it, what could've been one of the greatest upsets of all time. Do you think it matters if I went .800, or .900? I missed for the win.

Here's the other one I look at when a day is coming to a close--who haven't I played with today? Start with the good players, and work your way down! Goes to building chemistry with players you usually play against. Sometimes it works, like picking Dub first, because he's a great player, but also to frustrate LJ, sometimes it doesn't.

One of the strangest drafts I ever saw was from inexperienced Malachai--none of the bigs? Really? It's because he chose players who had played with him before and that he liked playing with, who would probably play on his team when picked rather than excuse out, and probably won't yell at him.

That is something, actually, as it goes a long way to explaining the origins of a Nerds team. It's not gonna get you a good winning percentage, but if you score more against a good team than a better team did, or win even once, when the odds are against you, that's a pretty sweet victory.

How we treat people who want to learn, have a modicum of skills, and are willing to show up is important.

I'll never be tall, I can't jump very high, when I started I was a one over guy, with no volleyball pedigree. Who wants "that guy" on your team? Nobody. Then, like magic, I got a chance, when all the Argosy bully boys who preceded me disappeared (thrown out, I'd expect, given the weekly appearance of the cops when I took over--think on that!). Call it the Favre factor.

I say with AWVP it takes about 5 years these days to make a good player. Also, conversely, don't forget it's a team sport, and anyone can be a god for 5 minutes, or one play.

Philosophy of Ball--1991-2017, 26 years. How many games have I played? How many were good ones? How many did my teams win, how many did we lose? How did I do in those games? I suppose those questions I will have to answer before Ballchair as prerequisite to entry into Ballhalla.

In the mean time, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slsCgxtFHsU

Death from above! Fire down below!