AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ASAR 9/17
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:48 pm 

Congratulations, Pandas! We almost showed up on time, except for Late and Later, the Tardy Twins, who also left early.

Attendees: Master Bruce (host), Mikey, Dub, Navy, Ronin Steve, Dan, Woodcock, Malachai, Attorney Scot, Taz, TJ, NY, Nick. Special guest appearances by Attorney Kent, Nick's friends, and Sanders.

3 days til 50. I want more life, f*ckers!

My day started pretty slow. 3 games scoring 6 points per game? This will not do. Struggling gets you sat. Then the team I was on scored even less. To quote the Simpsons, "Ha Ha!"

Props to Lil TJ for building a dynasty team. Might've been the only one on the day. Late season ball also makes for some good rallies, though games were a bit lopsided today in terms of scores. Scott had a very dominating day on the net, as did Mikey, and Jess, who also beat me out for point guarding skills pretty easily today. Special achievement award to Dub for overcoming the hangover to hang in there and achieve.

Thanks also for the professionalism and good sportsmanship to share the pool with Nick & Co. for what turned out to be a mighty Newb/vet battle. Notable Navy quote: "Chief has 2 speeds: Kill, and Suck." I tried my best to use both gears today!

Turnaround on my end was the Dub draft. That team went 15-2. Not bad for a draft team matchup.

The shadows and the day grew long. We were about ready to pack it in, when what to my wondering eyes did appear??? Sanders!!!

Most excellent. I am still molting from my chemical burns, and like the Mummy, I need fresh blood to regenerate.

I'm sure the late arrival thing is something they learned from LJ, the Emissary. He used to pull this all the time at Argosy. Never worked, though. Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRj-UjtRoXk

I am Sandymandias, king of kings! I admire their Sandthusiasm. Just remember, the ball is wet, you're in 4 ft of water, and that can be tricky.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with Wilbur one time out at the court: "Yikes, Will, look at em. They are young and tall."

Will: "Who cares, Chief! Let's get in there and beat them, like we always do." Great motivational speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MjHv7y5oIA

I felt like destroying something beautiful...

In this case, it was the Fabulous Baker Boys (and girl), with special guest star Dub.

To be fair, they won the second game, until we extended it to 21, but that's what you get for showing up late in the day. They promised to be there earlier tomorrow. So 2pm again people.

While I of course welcome the promised new era of 1000 year dominance by our sand overlords,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbMk-8701M

I guess I will have to wait just a bit longer...

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: ASAR 9/17
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:00 pm 

I've been reminded that Navy delivered the dagger in game the last. Satisfying that must've been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=514IEcgz1Q8

Post subject: Re: AAR 9/18
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:49 pm 

Second verse, same as the first.

When I came in (late), it appeared the Sanders had called in reinforcements, including 6'5 Jeremiah and, eventually, Curious George.

In the early games, LJ was inexplicably point guarding for the water team. Why I don't know. Well, maybe I do. Perhaps, the Sandmortals are mortal after all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637VzLSh8CA

To be fair, they do have to overcome that wall of their predecessors who tried and died before them.

But it did lead to some epic battles. I played with them in my first game, and tried really hard. One of my favorite plays of the whole season was a backwards bump (or as Dan describes it, "this thing you do when you put your hands together") to Dub in the middle that he turned and burned. We had a lead, but we lost. Sander ways are strange.

We've cleaned up our game to the extent we can to make it more sand friendly. They need to realize that there's a learning curve in 4 ft of water.

And remember, us wee little water urchins should not be underestimated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

We've been doing it for well nigh a decade now...

Which brings me to my second favorite play of the day--spiking on Baker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZDcaYsBN_4

I wouldn't say that 20-18 game we had was a great game, too many misses. But it was definitely a BBG.

Serves were the key today--game of runs, because hot serves were freaking hot.

Best game of the day was probably the (mis)captained Joel/NY vs Ronin Steve teams. Pretty big mismatch, that the team who was really good on paper barely won. Chief ad nauseum: that's why we play the games, people!

I wouldn't say that 20-18 game was a good game, too many misses. But on paper, it was the best layout of talent we had on the day--BBG for sure!

In terms of the W-L column for the weekend vis a vis water/sand, my notes indicate water water everywhere in the win category. But it's really tightening up. So let's do more if the weather stays hot and definitely next season.

Today's notables: Dub and Scott play, Baker serves.

As the season closes, open letter to the league: I'm struggling from front middle position with passes that push me towards the net. I don't like playing nose to net, because my sets are not exactly Harvard in the Tiffany/Joel since of the word--I don't put them straight up in the air on the net with any accuracy. So I'm either not short enough (Tiffany), or not tall enough (Joel) to handle them effectively at the height and distance they're coming in from where I line up, which means I'm having to finger roll them over. Any advice, besides stop sucking?

Well played this weekend, Pandas. At 2 days short of 50, I'm pleased that I can still fight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 pm 

Addendum: in the hotly contested Sunday Sander game we had a game changing play that released the necessary team energy to get to the W:

Monkey block on the front right, good side.

Well done, Monkey!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 pm 

My name's Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:47 pm 

My name's Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:44 pm 

Total coverage!