AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:21 pm 

Missed Saturday. Sorry. Life intervenes on occasion. And football is thinning our ranks. Kudos to those who showed, late as it may have been, to play.

I think we all should know this by now, but are in denial. When fall comes, even if it's 90-100 outside in September, it gets cold late in the day. And yet, we keep starting late, rather than 12, 1, or even 2. It boggles the mind...

Sunday we encountered Donnie, the other Megan. Taller, with some obvious sand skills. She got cold at the end of the day and had to sub out. Hopefully she's around next season.

Other notable comments--Wescott is not Ballchair. Ballchair is not Wescott. The two were inexplicably mistaken as he was high lined a lot in one particular game. More on that later in the tale.

Wescott is also not Poseidon. He was making some difficult plays which caused sinkage, and yet the ball was going back to him. The only advice I have is that one must aspire to be Poseidon--what goes down must come up. Try to keep your feet under you when possible, or get them so as soon as possible. I know a lot about playing from the waterline, probably because I'm so close too it : )

Joe had some hitting advice for me that I respect and will give the old college try to emulate. I don't get a lot of follow through on my swings. If I can get the top of the ball and follow through, this is good. Problem is, when I try this, I tend to get the bottom of the ball, causing it to sail out. Goes to lack of vert I think, which is why I do wrap/check swing hits. I can windmill with the right, not so much with the left. Straight arm smash is what I call and "up down" net hitter. Net's a little high for me to do that at our venue, and some fear of jungle/net touch, although I've pulled it off at Deerfield before.

As we all know, playing less than 6s at Riata can be challenging. But we had an experienced crew: Tbone, Joe, yours truly, Mikey, Dub, Ford, Jess, Dan, with Alex, Donnie, some other sanders, and red shorts guy who's played before filling in the rest of the roster.

This brings me to the Dub serve. Very dangerous in this environment. I think he had at least 2 10 point runs on serve. There are limited options on this, so let me go through them: get low, because it's coming hot.

Classic approach is back row player directly facing server plays line, other guy covers middle. Especially on Dub, who has a good line serve. This is especially advantageous if the player opposite the server in the back is the taller one. But this requires that the back row not be a break room, and no Dankenstein performances. This didn't happen.

In the alternative, if the guy facing server is going to have to play 75-25 on coverage, front row better back up quite a bit and possibly pinch middle. That didn't happen. Because the Dubster can change his spin, but he doesn't do short change up drop shots within a couple feet of the net. Lobs not in the repertoire.

I hate splashes on serves when I'm fielding. Got stuck with a couple of them nonetheless. The rest were in the air, more or less in bounds, but ineffective. If front 2 are playing to the outside and close to the net, that leaves the sweet sweet middle pretty open, and increases the chances of high line, or push passes that are low and too tight.

Push passes are the ones I pop over. But their less likely if your front players are more accessible, hence, off the net.

I close with saying our Dallas hosts might understand why there are more "lifts" in Carthage than there are in Rome. Lotta pool in Carthage. Lotta blue out there...

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:48 pm 

My name's Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:35 am 

#23: Q(hangover) but did play hurt on this day

Death from above! Fire down below!