AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:27 pm 

Slow start today. My bad. I wanted to get going early, but sometimes life intervenes.

For those Pandas that were not paying attention today, we had a visitor hailing from the environs of H Town. This After Action Report is for him.

Welcome to the party. What you saw today was what I would call an average level of performance at the Hot Gates. A little slow to start, some chemistry issues, sporadic greatness.

Half the traveling A squad that went to Dallas was missing today. They're sanders, so their ways are strange. There are also another half dozen or so good players who were AWOL today.

It's a big pool, so you have to be cognizant of spacing and team play. Over on 1 will get you killed out there. A mantra I forgot today on occasion.

Even though it worked 3-4 times today, in the course of 5 hours of games (think about that), stuffing the serve from the front row is one of the lowest percentage plays in the game.

Fighting on a different court, with a different ball is difficult. You did OK. H Town ball of choice is a bit like what Dallas plays with. It's a hitter's ball--smaller, less bouncy, but here's the problem--more slippery.

As a designated point guard/setter, I prefer grip to slip. Because, as my mantra goes, "if the set ain't pretty, big man looking shitty." And with the makeup of our league, I like playing with an Orb that has the potential to keep plays alive, rather than hit and done.

On that note, when drawing up plays, we can point out where the passers are and where things are supposed to finish, but, as I've talked about before, make the play you can, rather than adhering to some call about where things are supposed to go. That tends to keep the ball in the air. Unless it ain't working. Then redraw.

Today was a little sloppy. Which did make for interesting games. No lead was exactly insurmountable. And several teams fell victim to the runs from the other squad that evened things up. If memory serves, last game that was like 19-8 finished 21-16.

This is a sport, not recreation. It's a drinking game, but we play for real up here. Buoys, hazards to navigation, and children with water wings stay clear.

I look forward to some Panda v. Pirates contests in the future.

First contact has been made, it went well. The puzzle box is opened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfupO4ZzPs

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:38 pm