AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weekend AAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:32 pm 

Playoffs are approaching. New rules, improbable outcomes... can you smell what the AWVP is cooking?

Gumbo I say. Lots of different ingredients. Or maybe with the cooking analogy, it's more like a souffle--sometimes it's successful, and sometimes the whole thing just collapses.

Speaking of successful, if new people are interested in what we're doing out there, and want to participate, that means we ARE successful, no matter what happens to team souffle on the court.

History lesson. How did Argosy beat Riata when we first managed to crash the gates in 2005? Their exclusive resort community is probably 10X the size of the Argosy, with a commensurate talent pool. "Win and stay in" is a foolish way to play. Nobody new stands a chance. That's how.

And your good players get older/stay the same age, while the challengers get younger and taller every year.

There are limits--no water wings or floaties, but if you're willing to learn, relatively athletic, relatively sober, and want to mix into the mix, rather than play with all your friends, a few chances should be given.

I'm more at this stage of my career than the rest of you, but think about it; play with the new guys, teach them, and they will be singing your praises when you're Old Man Dick's age. New blood = immortality. Though frustrating.

But what do I know? I'm not an officer, I work for a living.

A report on the changes King LJ the Absent has enacted in the year of his reign 1 PD (post Dallas). We're going better with the net thing, and some sanders are coming out to scout what's going on out there. I'm not 100% on board with anything Dallas doesn't like being a lift, because I bet if you watch closely (Dan--back, and to the left...), they do it sometimes, too. That latter edict is not being enforced. Given that rule changes heretofore have proceeded in this league at about the same pace as an Ent Moot, "shock doctrine" (Naomi Klein) ain't gonna fly in its entirety.

There were many tales of derring to this weekend. Notable ones I remember were Jess and Sheriff/Little Big Man dominating a taller line on Saturday, Dub serves, all weekend, and, at the end of the day on Sunday, Jesus and Mr. Tasty going into the time machine to pull out some magic from back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g755MoySGwA

With a great deal of help from Attorney Scott, who speaks English, too.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:18 am 

god writeup across the board there.

good day on sunday. much better tudes our there. including mine. some good, fast paced games with folks reffing.

if you aren't playing please ref and ball shag. its a huge help to the games out there

and i think the radio is way too loud. not only for my old ways but it may start pissing off other residents.