AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BT AAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:32 am 

I learned something today?

New rules implemented. What was the "net" (pun intended) result?

Not sure what. The net was lowered. I was told 2-3" but there are no stats on that. It was lower. This makes it flimsy, and it will have to be re-engineered to make it optimal for the New World Order.

We are all in agreement that net touching is bad now, m'kay? While I couldn't keep track of all the violations, I remember having one very stupid one, where I hit the botom of the net. If memory servers, LJ(!) and Master Bruce tied for the most violations, at like 6. The difference being, LJ "knew" he was in the net, and Bruce didn't. While there is a differnce, I'm wondering whether the person who knew, and is the progenitor of these new rules, shouldn't have known better.

Everyone was more or less OK with this plethora of vague and unexplained rule changes.

While I get it somewhat, I'm still a little confused about what anything besides not touching the net is gonna do to improve the game.

We now have a lower net, which favors servers and hitters. We have some new rules I don't entirely understand about fielding, but that Ford and Dub have explained to me in texts. Can you put these on the website please?

I can see how these make defense more professional, but they also make it more limited, and we've made steps to favor offense.

This makes the net result, after 1 day's experiment, that we do indeed look more like Dallas, in that good serves and big hitters tend to dominate. Was that what was intended? Because I'm not sure that's exactly our game...

Sorry to beat you up for your innovative solutions for better play, but, in exchange for these rule changes, I was promised a massive influx of highly skilled sand players. How many did we get? LJ? Beuller?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64

I was also told in the post game show from the Dallas road trip that we have to improve our first pass off the serve. Now riddle me this--if we struggled with a good first pass on a low net where people can serve downhill and you are facing tall opponents in a short court, how will our first pass be improved if you lower our net and let servers go more downhill in a long court? Especially when there are new rules about "lifting" that still need to be clearly defined (again, I refer to Edub/Ford texts that need to be posted) because I am still a little confused.

If anything, our first passes were worse, not better, in favor of the improved offense. Is that what was supposed to happen? Or are we saying "give it time," and the rule limited defense will improve, survive and adapt against a rule enhanced offense?

I will tell you this. In one day, on a low net, I tied my number of blocks for the entire season--3 against Mikey, if memory serves. Short serves are harder to do if people are off the net. LJ massively improved his hitting % from the back row.

Will these rules make us more "professional"? The no net touch will.

The rest of it? Very hard to tell...

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:38 am 

Last night is not a good representation of what future ball will look like. We were playing 5 on 5 which makes passing harder and we were also missing a lot of good players. As for passing, the idea isn't to mmake it easier for people to pass, but to make people better passers. People need to move to become better passers. Watch and learn from people that do pass better. Nothing will change over night. I don't know why some think it will.

Also, sanders aren't just going to drop everything and come out on The first Thursday that the rules changed. That too will take time. Hell, we couldn't even get all the regulars to come out. We have mentioned to some and they are intrigued. Seeing it on weekends is the way it will happen.

Rome wasn't built in a day! Everybody did pretty well last night in my opinion and nobody had that big of a problem with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:50 am 

I was about to post what Edub did.

Chief, take it easy man. lets not take a lower net to mean we can jump into the deep end right away! Its a process. How you can post something as silly as questioning why all new players didn't drop out of the sky? Come on man.

like dub said, only 5s, missing many good players, etc

and the lowering of the net 3" is not going to benefit anyone more than anyone else. LJ got some good crackers in last night. good, more people hitting

lowering the net is a good idea. i have changed teams on this. i used to think like most others. but lowering the net + no touching will increase our game much more IMO. it does not = more injuries, but less. and it also opens the game up for others which challenges many people to expand their talent sets, and that goes for hitters and setters. i for one will work on being a better setter while also getting more air under my passes.

patience.

i like the calls on two hands under. thats i think a good absolute thing. other than that i am open on one hand unders to self call

patience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:47 pm 

Chiefy...Not quite accurate AAR which is unlike you...I personally had 3 net in 7 games...Bruce had about 10 of which he called about 3 of them on himself...Sanders on short notice near end of a summer gonna take some time...New dude Kyle had a very good first ever playing the game day...The net was not lowered...The rope through top is broken...

Man, this is so unlike you to pout...

Edub & Mikey: Very good AAR posts...

Our game is advancing, evolving, and best of all getting better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:12 am 

For the record, I'm not pouting. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what we are doing. If I am unclear on exactly what has changed, until Dub and Ford texts were texted that are still not available on the website, how am I supposed to explain what the new plan is?

H/T to Creepy, but I am by nature a little skeptical of innovative change is good process language. For two reasons:

1 In this league, heretofore, every reasonable change (including replacing a net that was 50% duct tape, 20% holes, and 30% sagging, or replacing a ball that had no skin on it anymore and was as heavy as a cinder block for a new one) has been fought tooth and nail. Don't even go there about my efforts to condense the jungle ball nonsesnse. Now, all of a sudden, everything must be different right away.

2 See Naomi Klein Shock Doctrine. Something bad happens, and all of a sudden any idea sounds like a good idea.

With all due respect to Dubs post, and while being in basic agreement with what's in it, there are plenty of situations where we don't get the ideal numbers or teams at Riata. As the season winds down, this will be doubly (Dubly?) true.

Thus, for the forseeable future, what I'm getting here from the advocates of the Dallas lesson is this--offense will be better, defense will be worse. Defense will have to clean up and step up their game, and games will go faster, because balls are going to go down.

The only disadvantages offense will have is that high and tight on the net is risky. I've been trying to alter my sets accordingly. And serving short is risky when people are (finally) lining up off the net for serves.

3 See 2. If rules are gonna change, because rules are gonna change, what rules make sense? Who is still and advocate of spiking serves again? Can anyone remember who even came up with it, or why? Because it was always a no-go at Argosy... Well, it's been around for a long time, it's a low percentage play, it's somehow traditional even though it doesn't exist in "real" ball...

If we're gonna navel gaze and clean house, pandas, don't ignore certain elephants in the room. I submit no spiking serves, except from the back row. Anyone got a problem with that?

We should also consider why we don't play rally score or allow net serves to trickle over and have to be played. Because nobody likes that idea? It's how all the kids play these days...

The "rule" on that has always been that if you win, you can play by your rally rules. But what if they are in the pool first plahying with a stupid ball and we are the challengers?

Lastly, what do we vote on and what don't we vote on in terms of how this game is played? As I may have said before, I had to bust regular players who will be unnamed early in their careers for push serving. Holding the ball in one hand while pushing it where they wanted to go with the other. That was their thing, and they were mad, but it made them better players when they couldn't do it.

So I understand. But a little devil's advocate is warranted here in terms of what changes are being made, and why. And while process is being advocated, D will have to transition way faster than O in the process.

And that will change the game in the immediate short term. Already has.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:18 am 

I'm just perturbed you're taking my role as devils advocate! Ha. Jk. I see some of your pts now like serve spiking. What would be great is the fantasy of Dallas coming to us, and our game is even cleaner than theirs. That would throw them for a loop.