AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dallas challenge AAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:19 am 

This was quite an experience. Playing in the back yard of a mansion was truly like playing in the Collusseum, and we were the Barbarian Horde.

Some of my predictions came true: we were going to have problems with their height; we were going to have problems following their rules; because of net height and their height, we were going to have problems playing 2 point guards, or even one, which takes us out of our standard game; we had to learn the court while doing.

Predictions which, for the most part, did not come true: if we play "our game," even under these conditions, we could prevail. We failed to play our game for many of the above reasons, and the Dallas Sith Lords were able to deal with some of our tricks at an unanticipated level.

:shock:

Day 1: we got slaughtered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKSYN-tbNRs

15-2, 15-4, 15-5, 15-7, 15-8, 15-10, not in any particular order, if memory serves. There was one win with our team vs. their starting team. I was not part of it. Mercifully, we mixed it up after a bit. I think I won 2 games. Some of us won none.

It was a very humbling, yet instructive, experience. We were the weaker teams in very important ways.

I'm reminded of a (paraphrased) line that one Creepy/Dan said when he first joined our beloved corps. "I got beat, really bad (by that little fella they call Chief). I didn't like that. So, I guess I have two choices. I can quit, or I can fight. I choose to fight."

The way we played on day one, we might as well have come up wearing "Scrub" T-shirts.

But, in true Panda fashion, after licking our wounds and drowning our sorrows way too much, we decided to fight again.

We took instruction from the players who know that court, fairly well, and did better on Sunday, although a couple of their A team members were not present.

Pretty sure we messed up the whole structure of their tournament system on Sunday, because we were struggling to survive and adapt. So kudos for letting us play and altering the system from the way it was originally planned.

I agree with LJ on a couple of things. Most satisfying win on Sunday was when our B team, consisting of me, LJ, Dan, Ronin Steve, and B team pickups Javi and Mikey, beat what I suspect was a Dallas B team, where our B was more or less overmatched by their B. But we won.

Perhaps they had been told tales of our suck on day 1, so expected that we would be crushed. We weren't. And we weren't swept away like dry leaves in the wind, which as admittedly rare, I detected some shame humping on the other side.

LJ wanted to know why we are called Pandas. Shall I tell you? It's the least I can do. For reasons that currently escape me, I ended up with a stuffed panda toy. I then found abandoned (5 days) laundry in the Argosy laundry room that had kids clothes, including a tank top that said "I'm Famous" on it. Fit well on the Panda bear.

The Panda mascot then came out along with the Optimus statue you are more or less familiar with.

The theme was simple: Optimus represents competition--this is not recreation, this is a sport. And we take heads. The Panda represented cameraderie, because pandas have a friendly reputation, somewhat unearned. Navy added that pandas are friendlier than Koalas, which are also cute, but actually ill tempered. Koala was the preceding term for scrub, or not us.

I will add that pandas are notoriously hard to breed, making them rare.

Now you know the story, Lip.

I've always said it takes at least 5 years to really take a player from rookie to starting status. People have disagreed with me. Do you disagree after what happened up north at the Hot Gates?

We might as well have showed up wearing "scrub" T-shirts.

So, what do we do with that sort of humbling? Get better. How do we do that? Opinions vary.

We've been trying, since the beginning, to get people to stop jungling the net. Agreed. Where there is divergence is when it comes to how to keep things closest to "actual" volleyball rules.

Simplest answer would be to drain the pool and play actual sand or indoor rules. Strike that. Simplest answer would be to play sand or indoor ball. But we're not doing that, for some reason.

What is that reason? And how close do we want to follow the "real" rules, considering we play in 3-5ft of water, which very much makes this a different game?

Different pools have come up with different solutions. Some of them may astound you. For example, I was told the Arkansas mansion owner once got beat in his own venue by a right handed server. After that, everyone had to serve left handed. No word on what left handed servers had to do, or how he checked to see if you were lying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0TBWg3C3k

We are street ballers. Who grew up playing water, not something else. Those who want to blow away every innovation we've come up with in a sand storm will need to state their reasons, on the website, please.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:28 am 

Awesome awesome awesome wknd of enlightenment, and highest level of water vball all of us have ever partaken in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:45 pm 

a few things

- we get grumpy with each other too easily. that isn't just from this weekend but almost every weekend. everyone is equally guilty of it. if we had a coach he would bench folks from some of the bitching they do. we need a concentrated effort to try and remember what it means to be a team in every goddamn sense. it looks terrible to the other team and it saps our confidence. there is a reason in professional ranks this type of bitchassed commentary and whining doesn't happen. or it least it doesn't happen with any team worth a shit.

- holy shit - again - for emphasis - lets learn not to talk out there after every play. its maddening. hey lets watch a hitter get in 90% of his serves and then opps a mistake. every motherfucker has something to say. STFU

- we lack fundamentals. we got much better the second day. give us a few more go's out there and our A team will be an A team there. i have no doubt about it

- players are a product of their pool. they have a strict hitting policy from the front corners - the slicier the better. that is because the pool makes it so. at riata i can see our guys blasting the back pool over and over again on them. but it wasn't the riata and we didn't see that immediately. we had to play it out of our system. and we did in weird patterns. i was horrible in day one while javi ford dub and jess rocked day one. i got much better in day two and some of the day 1 achievers regressed. weird.

- all this shit about rule changes. look - we play with 6 A players and about 10 B players and 10 C players. the new rules are fine for some but not all. the no net is a good start. for lifting maybe just make it that we can't do a two hand lift. but the real changer - just hold yourself to higher standards and call yourself out. and let lesser players get away with more but work on improving them. thats exactly what our gracious hosts did with us this weekend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:15 pm 

Here are some photos.

Does anyone else have photos? Text them to me and I'll post them. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:59 pm 

Video is online. Here is a game from Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1J-A68mXQg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:23 pm 

A big thank you to Nowell and King Marco (#53)........and all the other big ballers up there in the Prosper scene for hosting such an epic weekend.

We were in awe and you've clearly affected us to further evolve.

:thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Creepy wrote:
Video is online. Here is a game from Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1J-A68mXQg

It hurts to lose doesn't it? It fuckin' hurts!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:37 pm 

Attorney Scott texted me some photos. Some are pretty embarassing.

I try to use proper professional discretion when posting things.

Post subject: Re: Dallas challenge AAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:02 pm 

Chief wrote:
LJ wanted to know why we are called Pandas. Shall I tell you? It's the least I can do. For reasons that currently escape me, I ended up with a stuffed panda toy. I then found abandoned (5 days) laundry in the Argosy laundry room that had kids clothes, including a tank top that said "I'm Famous" on it. Fit well on the Panda bear.

The Panda mascot then came out along with the Optimus statue you are more or less familiar with.

The theme was simple: Optimus represents competition--this is not recreation, this is a sport. And we take heads. The Panda represented cameraderie, because pandas have a friendly reputation, somewhat unearned. Navy added that pandas are friendlier than Koalas, which are also cute, but actually ill tempered. Koala was the preceding term for scrub, or not us.

Here is a photo of the panda mentioned.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:23 pm 

Another game is online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOu0bLA2kkk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:14 am 

good stuff dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:21 pm 

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

My Name's Dan

My name's Dan

Post subject: Re: Dallas challenge AAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:45 pm 

Dan wrote:
Chief wrote:

Here is a photo of the panda mentioned.

Chief, what may I inquire is the origin of the AWVP name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:24 pm 

I started playing at Argosy in 1992. Let's just say that the development of the league as we know it today was a longggg process. Mikey is the longest serving active player in the roster besides yours truly--19 years.

I think this AWVP thing all started happening in the early "oughts". First awards were given out ~2001. Pat Pants came up with the Arogsy Plan for World Domination around this time. I still have a copy. Quite a good business model.

AWVP was the brainchild of me and Navy, in no particular order. Navy, the marketing genius, recommended branding our very special Colusseum/dirty Philadelphia gym. "Colusseums need statues" was another Navy line. Optimus was purchased for me from an antique store down the street by Matt "Tugger" Knowles circa 2003.

We're trying to be like the AVP, so just add a W--plan W for water.

Thereafter, just a little banter back and forth that may have involved some other Pandas--Argosy Water Volleyball Players, Austin Water Volleyball Players??? How about Association of Water Volleyball Professionals? General enough to be expansive, speaks to the fact that our standards are higher than we are!

Navy had a friend who designs logos and owed him a favor. The rest is history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 am 

Dan wrote:
THIS IS SPARTA!!!

My Name's Dan

that mix is crazy man! good stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 am 

It's hard to watch and cheer from the bench. But I watched and cheered from the bench!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:02 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijz1hSj9u0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:23 pm 

The Prosper guys have made some videos.

http://janimation.com/

Search for "volleyball"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:04 am 

Dan, I'm confused. This link seems to be all animation, with no category or ability to search for volleyball.

I did not get my ice cream, Dan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:56 am 

bottom left is search. good videos those boys made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:55 am 

Grandpa is still confused. Search brings up a bunch of categories. I looked at a couple of them. I don't see no ball. So I did what I thought Dan would do--gave up and browned out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:41 pm 

after clicking on search there is a search bar sir. enter "volleyball" and two vids come up. ignore the categories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:49 pm 

Try a computer instead of your phone and you will find a magical search box.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:32 pm 

Praise Ball Chair! Fall down on your knees!

:prayer: Image

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 pm 

Chief wrote:
Grandpa is still confused. Search brings up a bunch of categories. I looked at a couple of them. I don't see no ball. So I did what I thought Dan would do--gave up and browned out.

Figure it out yet Chief?

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:49 pm 

Another Prosper video is up.

<object width="960" height="540"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/_5phDg7ffDs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/_5phDg7ffDs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="540" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 pm 

<object width="960" height="540"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/kVgF5wIL-4g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/kVgF5wIL-4g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="540" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>