AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AAR bye bye June
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:20 am 

Too much rain. This is both a boon and a hazard. A boon in that the pool has been ours. A hazard in that we think the pool is ours, and are unprepared for when it won't be. And that time is coming--this weekend.

Saturday. Panda social hour lasted 2 hours vs the standard 1. And the drunken boobery was out of bounds. We're better than that.

We had a situation on Saturday where people took advantage of a game break. They were playing a game, and keeping score, but Pandas got impatient, and things got a bit contentious.

The quote was "Don't you just want to have fun?" The way to read this is, "We who don't play want to take over this court, and you who do play all the time should dance to our tune." But it did make me think, a bit...

I think what we do IS fun, but also pretty damn serious. Can we transition to games where we kind of just play beach ball until the scrubs are happy, and go away??? I think not.

Because, when accommodated, Saturday's lady scrubs floated away half way through the game, and the "winners," assisted by Scott and Creeps, refused to play again. So what's the damn point???

We will need to contemplate this as the big 4th weekend is upon us.

I will go back to my standard take on this: watervolleyball court vs. basketball court. Can you camp out on a basketball court and claim you want to have a picnic and not be hassled by ball players because you were there first? Can you ask hoop dream players whether they'd rather play serious ball or follow your lead and "just have fun?"

I think not. But we must hone our diplomatic skills for this weekend. Clear out and let 2 teams do "all play" is the best solution we've seen in the past.

Sunday. Better day. Back to Panda ways. Proud of my team consisting of Dub, Javi, Misty, Joe, that took on increasing odds, and went 2-3. Some excellent BBGs followed, once food was had and rain was not feared.

Doing a good draft is important. Do to an LJ miss, I managed to get Dub, Scott, Ford, and Dan on my team. Along with Steve, who had his moments, which should be encouraged.

The 4th is a big weekend. What shall we do?

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 am 

Addendum:

I forgot to mention Army Jim was on the first team that went 2-1.

Death from above! Fire down below!