AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:25 pm 

Amazing dedication--with some Pandas MIA, enough showed to have very good viable games both days.

Saturday--teams that looked good on paper, lost. Over and over again. I went 1-6. To quote an elder statesman I'm quite familiar with, "That's why we play the games." There were a couple of blowouts, but for the most part good games, with some spectacular rallies. And a great deal of rain.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to get off the canvas to do Sunday. But there was pressure coming from Riata--Misty, Joe, and Alex were calling for game. And that is something, actually. To quote the same elder statesman I am familiar with, "Playing ball, usually, is better than not playing ball." I will still hold to that, win or lose. See also, "healing waters" which make you feel better, than possibly worse(!), than just lying on the couch.

Sunday--teams that looked good on paper, lost. Over and over again. I went 2-6. To quote an elder statesman I'm quite familiar with, "That's why we play the games." As opposed to Saturday, games were very close, with losers almost always in double digits. More blocks than I recall in any day in a while. And some really awesome rallies, better than Saturday's, if memory serves.

Last couple of games were 6 on 5, or more like 4.25 to 5.5 given the drunkeness level of certain players. 5 beat 6, which is something, actually.

Players of the day--everyone who braved the rain, wind, and cold to do what we do. I dare say everyone had a chance to be a god for one play. Stringing them together, that's the trick, ain't it?

Get ready for 4th of July weekend, where parking will be an issue and the pool will no longer be ours and ours alone. Be ready to start early to establish authority, share via all-play games, and slaughter lots and lots of Persians. The court is free to all, but we keep score for a reason--there are W's and L's for a reason. It's how the next game gets played. Be ready to fill in on scrub teams to keep the games going. Those who volunteer should not be penalized by being off the next squad just becuase they "played"--quite the reverse. When things get busy again, remember that the court is a machine--a machine that we collectively run.

And, since winners write the history books, I'll let those who had a winning record this weekend chime in with the individual deeds of derring do. For me, I salute the winners, am not happy about my record for the weekend, but will continue to soldier on, hoping things will change around, because that's all a baller can do.l

Death from above! Fire down below!