AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: mid June already?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:17 am 

Looks like we might be fighting the weather this season, Pandas...

And, our usual problems with organization. Not that I am the best individual to be lecturing on this, but there has been a general agreement that earlier would be better. Then it doesn't happen. While I am certainly impressed that Panda Social Hour literally lasts that long at Riata before we start playing, as an elder statesman, I have come to realize time is short. Fight first, chat later.

We need another LJ nooner throwdown, after he is done walking the earth like Kane in Kung Fu contemplating his 40th year lipping. Age is just a number, buddy--welcome to 20 twice!

Just so you know, I'm inclinded to be more inclusion heavy this year than some of you may be comfortable with (so press for those noon BBGs, especially on July 4th...). That means more of the Argosy "dry people play" ethos, and, as practiable, LJ's second of the motion to involve ladies.

Something old, something new: Tom and Kenny Rogers came back to the pool and played some. Welcome Jim, lanky fella who reminds me a bit of White Joe. I could see it in his eyes that he is hip to our concept. And I got my first block of the season against him. Miriam also played--known by Misty as an indoor player. She sets like Tiffany. Hope they all come back again. All were provided with videos of 2014 AWVP antics.

Sunday we battled the weather gods. Notable performances--Mikey with usual dominance. Jess with the assists on cross serves to Mikey. Drunken Master Bruce with his screams for his bottle, which he drank from copiously, and yet more or less managed to perform (early favorite for drunkest panda). And last, but certainly not least, and my call for player of the day--drumroll....

T-Bone. He was all over the place. New knickname--T-MOBILE! Complete Bone--serves, sets, spikes, digs, and lost of move and groove from a big man. Best I've ever seen him play.

Everyone can be a god for one series. The goal is to repeat the godlike performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl4WXcl_LAQ

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:21 am 

:drinkers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 am 

ford was dominant saturday. smash bros were hard to deal with then

and jess is the best setter in the pool right now. sorry PGs, but its true. he sets me strangely when in the front left position, but past that weirdness he bats like 80% on sets when the rest of us are much less. very impressive weekend of ball skills. he made ford shine saturday and me sunday.

tbone and little joe also were mad setters too this past sunday

and you are right chief, best i have ever seen tbone play. we played a few days in a row with tbone following me and that worked out well. for some reason i set tbone better than anyone else.

the BBGs need an edub back. he is the missing hitter link from the last few days of ball

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:51 am 

UM, there's a way to stop the Jess cross set. Pretty simple, actually. I won't go into it here, because I could find myself on a team where it works to my advantage., but I've tried to explain how it can be minimized.

The simple answer is that easy serves lead to easy sets. That's a truism. read between the lines. Nuf said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:06 pm 

well of course sir. but what of the 5 other pandas on your team you have to somehow control. then shit is hard

but i will say his mobility is outstanding and his handwork too. lots of those sets are not coming from easy serves to him.

overall the passing and setting had really gotten up the last few weeks. mid season form is here. wish i was this weekend. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:49 am 

Jess is def the best back row to front setter w/o a doubt...In the front row he is a hitter tho, so why he is not a PG...

And yes, there is a very simple solution to not having him cross set from back or Scotty's return to sender throw...DONT SERVE THEM...Duh...

And I know there was some beer memories here...Mikey says setting T-Bone worked out...Not saying TMobile cant side out...The flaw is College Boy claiming multiple sets performed by him!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:08 pm 

hey its true man. i had those sets in teh bag. for me i have to practically meditate on setting before the game as its not my mindset. jess plays with that mindset thus his sets. i play with a passing mindset so long as i get the passed back...

jess is not a top player with net hitting. he is a much bettter hitter in the back row

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 pm 

LJ has interpreted my vague musings on how to avoid clean cross sets correctly.

The Lip is incorrect on his interpretation of TBone's performance, which he was not there to witness. He had several sets, several hits, and was T-mobile through several games. It may have been his first player of the day acolades on this site in recent memory. Well earned.