AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Episode 23--A New Hope
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:08 am 

Do we have a new Rebel Base??? If Taz thinks so, it must be true!

This is looking like a really good year, people. Riata and the dear departed Argosy are one. And we're doing a pretty decent job integrating new people into the games.

I will humbly point out that 3 in a row = bust up the team and dry people play are technologies imported from the now dead and dormant dirty Philadelphia gym. They work, in the long term...

Important point: where there were 2 crews battling at the same venue, now we are one: UNITY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJB0BkJlbbw

On to today's action... Like yesterday, small ball had its moments. Starting with the first game, where me, LJ, Joe, Javi, Attorney Scott, and "Riata" Ryan took on what should've been a very dominant team: Jess, Ford, Dan(?) Joe, broken wrist guy, and Big Sandy (who looked very scary in warmup). We were overmatched, but won anyway. And were up 11-1 in the rematch, until the wheels fell off...

The Wild Boys are no more. T-2 retired, like Jim Back, for no apparent reason. But history abhors a vaccuum. So now we have the Smash Brothers--Jess and Ford. It's taken me a few years to figure out how to play in their world, but we've been having pretty good success of late.

While this is a booze-driven league, I know from personal experience to recoomend Pandas drink responsibly. Because you can see what happens in the alternative--the one game that no one I expect enjoyed where a few folks who'd had too many and talked way too much decided to take on the local golf pros.

I often wonder why they do this. Maybe they watch what we do and think it's easy(it's not); maybe they look and what we do and think it's fun(it is). Either way, it means we're doing something right, in the long term.

They were dead before they got on the court, twice as dead after. Mr. FU guy knew who we were, which is something,actually. I've been doing this for a few years, and have lost count of the number of people who want to knock my head off (including many who still play to this day :) ). Give em a chance, I say. But the court is a harsh mistress. No mercy when you get in, especially if you are jerky. It's called a teachable moment--this ain't no joke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPOgKNx7Lng

Kudos to Nate and Joe for playing with them so the game could be played and out of the way. Thank you, come again...

Times change. Techno drove the Argosy. Different music at the new Rebel Base. Players, too, maybe. I'm enjoying being the role player I've always been, and concentrating more on setting, so that this can happen in the parlance of the old times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaPszAsxO50

Speaking of setting, the next time Tiffer gets in the pool, use her passing talents. She's the best setter we have, and can rip some serves. Certified badass. Help out with her height challenge like you would anyone else--help her do her thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8LRoZ2lN0

I do like my Latin--In Vino, Veritas! and especially, E Pluribus, Unum. It's on your money, people: "Out of Many, One." That's what ball is all about. And you will get good game, at the Riata, our new home :) based on the full faith and credit of the AWVP. So say we all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3RMEK2-a4

Death from above! Fire down below!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:36 pm 

Chief wrote:
Starting with the first game, where me, LJ, Joe, Javi, Attorney Scott, and "Riata" Ryan took on what should've been a very dominant team: Jess, Ford, Dan(?) Joe, broken wrist guy, and Big Sandy (who looked very scary in warmup). We were overmatched, but won anyway. And were up 11-1 in the rematch, until the wheels fell off...

Correction. I was not on that team.

I sat the first game, then played with a suck squad, then sat out the next game, then played with another suck squad, then sat out the next game. Sometimes you can get stuck in a rotation of suck. :roll:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:33 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXD7fl ... 0EsVII0YPA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associatio ... fessionals

:spank:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:49 pm 

Something to consider...Dallas gym used to have rule that Riata had for a few season: If a team had a girl, then the other team had to have one...2 girls on a team, then the other had to have 2, and so on...Yall get the pic...Helps keep the chickenheads happy, too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 pm 

To tackle the two posts above simultaneously, I believe there are enough differences between the AVP and the AWVP to avoid any legal action based on misidentification. Also, love the AWVP link. When is our wiki link going up? As a history PhD, I wouldn't mind some input on working up the copy...

On the topic of ladies get to play, this was Argosy technology long before Riata. To the extent that I used to make the comment, "We could've marched our women up here to take you on, from what I've seen..." Ladies played 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, in short, all games available at Argosy, including BBGs, if they were sufficiently skilled and willing to accept the risks...

At one point, I even kicked all the male Pandas out of the pool for an all ladies game. This did not go well for me. Not because of criticism from the guys, but from the ladies who played! The experiement was not requested again, nor was it repeated...

With today's gender demographics in the AWVP, I'm not sure if LJs suggestion is viable. My suggestion has been if ladies want to play, have them put up a shirt, or put one up for them. Give them the option of picking a team, or you will help one for them. It's about all we have right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:52 am 

I must anally destroy you. Oh wise great chief of Argosy. Did it ever cross your two brain cells of yours that Deto, T2 and I no long ball, is because the game sucks and we don't enjoy it anymore? Sorry if seeing Mike Markides In his board shorts every weekend still excites you, but some of us have moved on. We didn't shit on your coffee table like other people did. We actually showed some respect, and walked away respectfully. And all you want to do is throw us under the bus. If we could only put my brain and your body you would be the best for volleyball player in the world. It would also help you to go to A manners class also. :Wescott:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:44 pm 

Not sure where that came from. But let's stay positive. Argosy was something we all shared, and tried to share with the world. I don't have to take off my "demand satisfaction" glove to count the number of people who have been "thrown under the bus" as you claim, and not encouraged to come play ball.

Apparently you did not enjoy your game at the new rebel base. That makes me sad. There was a dream that was Argosy/Rome. It's gone, and it is not within my powers to bring it back. But we who are about to immerse try to honor it.

Everyone chooses their own level of involvement. I look forward to hearing about your achievements now that you have moved on. Strength and Honor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:21 am 

There's always a job for commentators. Jim Back as the AWVP's Charles Barkley/Barles Charkley/Bim Jack???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npj4EHzoeBQ

But sprinkles, and awards, are for players, Corky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:42 pm 

Jim Back wrote:
If we could only put my brain and your body you would be the best for volleyball player in the world.

I agree. Jim Back's brain in Chief's body would be the best player in the world. 8)

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:00 am 

Strike that Back comment, and reverse it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQgfaB3S1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQF71OthRA

! : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:37 pm 

<object width="960" height="540"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/oBQVvEMc-VQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/oBQVvEMc-VQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="540" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:58 am 

Did you just post all 6 Star Wars movies, Creeps? Don't get me wrong, I like my quips with various links, but that's a little extreme, sir.

And you still could put forth an answer to how the Sons of Argosy and the AWVP are different. I know the answer. Do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 am 

One is a ripoff of a TV show motorcycle club and the other one isn't.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:59 pm 

Chief wrote:
Did you just post all 6 Star Wars movies, Creeps? Don't get me wrong, I like my quips with various links, but that's a little extreme, sir

Yes, 6 movies at once. It may be a little difficult to watch, however I feel that it is important to do things like posting all 6 Star Wars videos at once from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:52 am 

Indeed. Do you recognize that, like the Optimus/Panda mascots, this league had a split personality?

Competition, and cameraderie? More properly, competition, followed potentially by cameraderie, or not.

When I started playing, there was only Argosy. I expected there was other intelligent life in the universe, and yearned to share our culture with them, which involved finding them, killing them, and thereby introducing them and inculcating them to our ways.

I therefore submit that, while AWVP was the purported dream that was Rome,l Sons of Argosy actually existed before the concept was put forward. Think about it, it makes sense...

Without the fierce loyalty spawned by the SOA, there would be no AWVP. And, I fear, that the AWVP will never gain the legitmate business goal we've been searching for all these years.

Watervolleyball will always remain a crime in terms of how we do it. So, all I've got for ya is do the best you can to not be a pirate while being a pirate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROxvT8KKdFw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 am 

How many of our crew have been alive for all 6 Star Wars Movies? I saw the first one in the theater--stayed there with my buddy from the first showing of the day until the last.