AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A very special Sunday
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 pm 

Pandas, I salute you. Each and every one. I encourage you all to chime in about this day, which was truly special in the annals of AWVP history.

For one, we tried new things. I will concede that I'm old and set in my ways, and can be a bit negative about how things won't work before they are tried. But I did recognize a great amount of potential in LJ appreciation day. So roll with it we did, and, lo and behold, we had a dozen eager pandas ready to eat and fight, with a new ball and a new plan.

It was like the venue sensed that great things were about to happen, because we were the biggest, and basically only group there today.

Plenty of pandas showed up on time and ship shape in Bristol fashion to have at it. Mikey and Dub were captains.

Mikey went very old school with his picks, and I do mean OLD. Soldiers who made their reps in the previous decade: me, Navy, Pants, Ronin Steve, Attorney Scott. Mikey is the spring chicken on that team!

Something I'm not sure if you know that I'll share with the group. Being a starting ball player is a fun job, but it's still a job, which involves a lot of pressure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4VpE-0zitU

Being a starter in this league is a fun job, but it's still a job.

Even after 23 years and countless campaigns, I'm still scared to death and shaking in my manties when I hit the beach:

Shaky, feeling sick, all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLJhxfj608

Well, that doesn't help anybody. A lot of the offense in terms of serving and setting is supposed to run through me on that team.

Mikey displayed leadership, took team Grandpa on his shoulders, and made us fight. Dragged me out of my foxhole and made me fight. My job is to pick off as many people as I can, or assist others to do so, and not worry so much about the big guns pointed at me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgHRj2-vvs8

Amazing. Truly amazing. We went 3-0.

Given the level of interest, there were more than 2 teams available

So David/Goliath came up with another good idea--3 team captains on a snake draft. Did well on that one, too.

I think the only official BBG I lost was the last one, which should have been won, but we got beat by small ball and a Jess Mikey combo.

Moving on... I'm told dead horse being beaten, but whoever said circa 2pm, "Uh oh, the scrubs are here" is a bad man. May I suggest an alteration in nomenclature--"scrubs" = drunken Riata clown college, NOT the people who are being invited and given a chance to develop as players. Even some of the latter category are redeemable if they will break with their bad habits, drop their zero team, and come play with the heroes.

Many honorable mentions to note: Mikey mentioned Alex, who didn't flub and passed well. In a couple of games I was in, it was drunk Steve, who continued his excellence from yesterday at the net. This time around, he beat Scott 2-3 times on spikes/blocks. Mikey has the rep for dropping bombs, but Ryan hit just as hard as anyone today on about 5-6 occasions.

What was important is that a lotta people got out there, and got involved. I think once the BBGs got their fights in, they were more tolerant, and the mix it ups worked out pretty well. It brings a tear to my eye to see that it's finally starting to happen ; )

I'm told that the fights went on until the sun went down, which is as it should be. Well done today, one and all! This day made me more proud of this league, and what we do, than I have been in a long time. I'm getting a little verklempt, so I'll sign off.

No doubt there is much more to add to the telling of the tale today, so all who wish to should join in with your memorialization of this day!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:15 am 

Strong like bull

Fried like lobster

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 pm 

my view of this fine day

i cannot believe so many of you ate food before balling. chief put down 2 blah burgers. i warned him. that is less blood for the mind and liver boys.

our old asses are refined. having patty pants and scotty for bigs on offense and ronin steve for serving and defense with a navy/chief PG combo is a great team. the team picks were not premeditated, just as we went. navy is woefully underrated, as is pat.

our team was using their college boy to start and i whacked away. i was executing at a high clip. our team was also dropping argossy bombs left and right. made me proud. good passes, good sets, lots of smart moves with the ball. makes me tear up just thinking about it again.

other notes:

- dan murdered me and my team on the back row one game. serving line drives right to the back of the pool. i think he nailed out 5 on us. worst part of my day

- best game - me, jess, alex, dave, joe, and jared obliterate a team of jess, edub, scotty, dan, and chief (adn then either navy or lj). i mean obliterate. should have been 15-3, but it ended 15-6 after we had fun serving on multiple game points. this was the last game in the second round of the bbg. we lost our fist, but then came back to win against teh team that won the second game.

- bringing me to alex. holy shit. jess can attest to this. he played out of his mind. he was blocking, hitting, passing, setting, all over the place. i am not just talking about routine plays. twice! and i mean twice he intercepted line drives going into the net and beautifully placed them for tear drop sets. i want to see this in the film. i was jaw dropped. boy was our MVP that game. went from worst to first in one game.

- navy is so underrated its painful to see. he is playing the best ball of his life. no doubt. he is the ideal big two guard. a little pg, a little shooting, a little defense, great hands and top notch IQ makes one a great player. this is why BBG IS BBG. you cannot be weak in any one position and you yourself cannot be weak in any of your own points.

lack of game IQ shows. lack of hands shows.....it can show in the BBG

great time. i say we make a target now to do this again. what say you pandas? sunday of labor day? weekend after that? i say give it a rest for now - but lets plan. no BS. not much left. of course there is the whole of September to ball through as the crowd gets lighter. and fuck football - play watervolleyballs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:27 pm 

The college boy has a very good point in BBG being BBG, and that you have to execute in all areas.

I proved that in my 5th game (in a row, the one I lost) by losing any ability to set the ball. We had EW there and didn't use him, and lost the game. If I set even 50%, we probably win that. Alas.

Brunchball is very nice.

It was SO shocking showing up at 12:05pm, seeing no one by the pool, and thinking it was going to be another one of those days, and then seeing 12+ people under the pavilion and realizing they were ballers. To prove that this must have been a dream, Chief ate twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:32 pm 

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/paeNnR33i5Q?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/paeNnR33i5Q?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:22 pm 

Nice song, Dan. Hope it is not an epitaph...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 pm 

I'm editing game 1 from the 8/17 Early Sunday BBQ BBG day.

It's progressing well. However requires much focus.

:roll:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:09 pm 

<object width="800" height="600"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/HjnbGFEYpSI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/HjnbGFEYpSI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="800" height="600" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:05 am 

you fucking rock dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 am 

game 2 and 3 are needed!

bbg like drug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:25 am 

Great video!

It looks like game 1. Love to hear some commentary. Mikey was a monster. The video only shows a little how bad I played--lotta low sets to Mikey that should've been kills if I'd done it right...

I watched Ronin Steve taking a bit off his hits to aim for the back row. It was effective, and I've seen more of it since. Keep it up. He looks good on this vid.

People new to the website have commented that it's hard to find pics and vids embedded in the messages. Is this on AWVP TV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 am 

Yes

http://www.watervolleyball.net/AWVP_TV.htm

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:36 am 

maybe we should start a campaign to get more folks to use the website. game tape is a good way me thinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 pm 

ronin steve was digging his ass off btw. great backrow play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:19 pm 

I recommend this soundtrack for the next BBG game film installment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6WMzD ... zDOh1o#t=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:50 am 

Ironically I was trying not to move too much during the first game after eating a cheeseburger right before getting in. That plan went out the window pretty quickly.

Thanks again for the good eats, LJ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:05 pm 

I ate twice! Not used to that : )

I've been texting up a might storm to get people to check out the vid on AWVP TV, because watching game film is instructive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am 

Great day and video...

What I also found interesting and entertaining was when people left "early" this day there was no begging of anyone to stay "one" more considering noon to dark ball is definitely a lot of ball!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:24 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13olfeD026g

We're aging.

And I don't do anything anymore beyond a sip of 5 hr energy to get up to play. And actually never did. As the Lip said one time when I had too much, it made me "yippy" Throws my timing off. So I don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:45 am 

In terms of the draft on the soon to be legendary BBG, wasn't Jarrod there with us?

He has more experience than Joe. I didn't pick teams (by design), just wondering about that rationale.

Post subject: BBGs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:46 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvnwLLXHabg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:45 pm 

I got game 2 up

<object width="960" height="540"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=106142355&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0"><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=106142355&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="960" height="540"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:46 am 

We are Pandamandyuis, kings of kings. Look upon our works, ye mighty, and despair:

Brings a tear to my old jaded eye, such video does, yeah verily and forsooth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZIDJtRG4I

And once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRj01LShXN8

Like the king said, not so much. We fight better when smaller and elite. But how to keep it so?

When one falls, another must be ready to take his place. We need to work on that. Or thou shall hear Panda Corps, no more...