AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A very differnt Saturday
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:22 pm 

Nice vibe up there today. What's the difference between one week and the next? Who can say??

Walked in a bit late (4) and shirted up solo (clear violation of 6 man team shirt rules). Could hear the exhortations and joy of ball being played.

A bunch of new guys were up against Jared, Jim the smaller, Tbone, drunk Steve, LJ, Ronin Steve.

The vets were up, but somehow lost!

As if by magic, what walked in the door about 5 minutes before that happened? Bad Guys: Jess, Dub, Dan, David/Goliath. Picked up LJ off the losers, and s super team was born.

The guys who won rapidly figured out they were up against a whole new and different animal. They did not fare well.

We almost didn't get to play our 3 in a row, because people were drifting into the pool. The concept needs to be defended.

Now here's the thing... if it's your last game as a team, why do people let it get in their head that it doesn't matter whether you win or lose on the super team for game 3? I think it does. I think it always does! That's why we keep score!

Rather than adopting a "who cares?" attitude on your last game (and chill out, you're probably only out for one), I recommend showing your opponents why you are being tossed out of the pool for winning not 2, but all 3 of the games you are allowed to win before you sit.

Any team that does not do so is not a super team.

Fun stuff today. We once faced a "wall of Steve" 3 of them on the front line. But walls don't move very well. So Jess bird bathed them to the same spot 5 times in a row for victory.

Drunk Steve gets an honorable mention, though. Blocked Jess like 3 times. Once one handed.

In terms of the "who's left?" to face a super team, I did pretty well today--got LJ, Joe, Drunk Steve, Dan, the tall sander Jessie, and Dan to take on Jess, Dub, Tbone, Ronin Steve, David/Goliath, and Lee. Had them down 7-1 and lost. See my essays about how tough it is to take out talent with less talent.

Tomorrow is a big day, boys, honor it!

Death from above! Fire down below!