AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I like watervolleyball
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:11 pm 

Even when I'm losing! Went 3-8 yesterday. Even with some very good talent on my squad--Mikey, Pat, Wescott. Note (again) to the Sheriff, if you show up like 33% of the time, you will probably be somewhat rusty and less effective. Trigger time and body rhythm are important. Sheriff, arrest thyself.

A super team formed again on Saturday. Fancy that. After they won 3 in a row, they were supposed to break up. But apparently there were aliens involved, that replaced the same 6 people with exact clones. It's the only explanation! At least the most plausible one I can think of when I put on my Dan hat.

Taz reminds me that I got a super team of my own late in the day. And after one W, one, was told we had to break it up. Cue sad trombone.

Watervolleyball is like the Matrix--some rules can be bent, others can be broken. I have a slightly different view of shirts than Mikey. They are there to organize, not to obstruct. If I'm being called on to play and have a shirt up, I'm still in favor of being allowed to give it to someone else. Otherwise, there is too much strategizing about how to place shirt and when to play. And it slows down games, because not everyone who puts one up has a full team. So if you jump in because someone needs a player/wants you on their team, your shirt shouldn't disappear. It adds a level of complication to getting games going that doesn't need to be there.

I don't remember the sun being this bad in years past. You really can't see squat on the sun side.

Even though it was sooo yesterday, I remember being on some teams that blew big leads. So I'll let the victors describe what happened on Saturday.

We had some characters return to the lineup this weekend--Taz Jr yesterday, and the Jim Back clone today. Also on this day I some something very unique--Jared's harem of quasi ballers interacted with non-ballers at Riata in a game of beer pong. Such a thing has never happened before.

More people are engaging out there. Which means we are succeeding in mission #1--winning hearts and minds. Mission #2 is good ball games. The gentle readers may dispute the prioritization I have put forth, but without #1 there is no #2.

While I completely understand the super team concept, I guess my current duties up there, which are numerous, and my new view of "the game" tend to argue against it. Super teams are designed to destroy. I'm trying to build.

And I stand by the belief that after 3 wins, team has to bust up. Here's why--you then either let other people play or learn to play with other people. Make sense?

Slowly but surely, we are closing in on the "dry people play" concept that was operative at Argosy. Because trigger time is important.

I remember something Boston Bruce told me yesterday--"I'm leaning." Yes, he is! So even old dogs can learn new tricks! And I'd argue that the learning process is long--often takes about 5 years to fully develop a player and get them integrated into a lineup. Little Dave and Havi are the exceptions, not the rule on this.

All that being said, my heart is too soft. I don't like to tell people "no, you can't play." Had to do it once with little Katie--makes me : ( I need someone like Beth out there to chase some peeps away on occasion when it's time for a BBG (Big Boy Game for you new readers). Because given the breadth and depth of Riata court, one person of questionable ability affects the course of a game.

At Argosy, we used to call down BBGs in advance. Maybe we can try that at Riata as well? People were amenable at that venue--maybe it can be the same at the new rebel base? There is something to watching the best of the best square off that people will get on board with, as long as it's not abused.

With increased interest come the need for inclusion. "Run it back" and "best of 3" went away at the Argosy when it got popular. So I really doubt you're gonna see much of it at the larger resort community.

It was good to see Navy and Pants back in the lineup yesterday. Jared's net play has been nonpareil. Not much gets past him, even against taller opponents.

TJ makes the AAR for the second week, for having a moon ball second only to Jethro. Today we entered into a negotiation vis a vis "the shirt"--TJ just played, but would give me his shirt if he got to play on the team I helped him select. That team ended up winning 3 in a row. As I said yesterday, little fella with a good serve generally = scoring lineup. He even got set for a hit today. And the shirt negotiation is what's called a win-win. Plus one more win!

Super team #1 was not quite as dangerous as super team #2. Jess, Ford, Dub, Ronin Steve on the same squad? Along with Riata Ryan and Tbone? Really? With Mikey and Scotty out today, and no Navy, no Pants, no Wecott, I admire that idea of fair odds! Another "shirt" story--I gave mine to Ronin Steve--he chose his talent well.

Took a crack at em one time, with Zombie LJ, Dwayne, Havi, Jared, birthday Jonathan, and me. Lost.

Got a second shot at it. Had the ST on the sun side with a new opposing lineup: Havi, Dwayne, Jonathan, yours truly, and a couple of "who dats" I've never played with before, who turned out to not suck and did their part. We went up early and kept the lead. I think we won like 15-10.

Any given Sunday, people! If I was going all super team elitist (you know who you are), I wouldn't have taken the risk of playing with the new guys. But I did, and we won.

HAHAHAHA! As a player, I don't like the fact that I'm off the super team because I'm willing to play with anyone and everyone, rather than sit out and wait for a dream team to form. And I miss the fact that this means I don't often get to play with certain players, because by the end of the day, I want to have been on a team with everyone out there. I think it makes you more "cosmopolitan" and able to adapt to new teams and situations. But that's just me. I respect and understand the other viewpoint--even held it myself back in the day. Just don't see much long term multi season future in it.

If you don't get to play, you don't get to learn. A super team was necessary back in the day to educate Old Riata on the superiority of the Argosy way of ball--because win and stay all day only makes sense when you don't lose. And we made em lose! And ladies and people under 6 feet tall should be allowed to play ball. What a concept!

A final note: I'm almost always cajoled into the "one more game" thing, when I'm exhausted, wasted, and want to go. Here's a first--I called for one more game, and Pandas refused! I in fact played 2 more games with new people and some ladies who had never played before--last one 3 on 3. Talked to our friendly neighborhood security guard on the way out the door, and explained the nature of my, and our presence at the pool. Left as the sun was setting.

In short, doing good works.

We're not the "Bad Guys" up there anymore. And that's a good thing. Jess, I want my ball back!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 am 

my only comment is that ball from saturday was shit. it was egg shaped and flying all over the place.

games are better when the ball is better.

see you guys on the 26th. the only weekend i am town out of the next three. sad trombone two

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:35 am 

Jess appears to have no way to get my Dragon ball back to the pool. Hostage crisis week 3.

Dan, can you explain the nature of this conspiracy to me? I always try to rely on expert opinions.

I took Jared's failing ball into custody after Sunday, which means I will have to show up bright and early this weekend, at 2, and wait around for you Pandas to show up.

Can we buy more Dragons on line? We're only about half way through, and still have a Dallas trip to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 pm 

Chief wrote:
Jess appears to have no way to get my Dragon ball back to the pool. Hostage crisis week 3.

Dan, can you explain the nature of this conspiracy to me? I always try to rely on expert opinions.

The Taz conspiracy is involved in various operations such as bumming way too many smokes and not remembering to bring the dragon ball back.

Something must be done!

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 am 

For once, I will second Dan's conclusions on the nature of this conspiracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:24 am 

I am also concerned that my Dragon has been in Kristy's car for 2 weeks. Do you know what happens to a volleyball when you leave it in a car in this heat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_ouycoP1k

Kaboom Kaboom Kaboom!