AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Very good Sunday
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:14 pm 

For those of you who were not there, Riata is like a box of chocolates...

And today, they were very tasty. Only one all scrub squad, which had their time and was sent on their way with all due honorable dispatch. Kudos to Alex for playing on their team.

Very good vibe up there. Security guard is high 5ing and giving us hugs. Old man Dick got his award--photos to follow. His son the ex-AVP player who's around my height and age is coming out in August. Game on!

It's no longer "us" vs "them" up there. Minus scrubs, of course. Everyone is learning about everyone else, and learning to get along. They are amazed how diverse the walks of life are that all led us to come together and have the most fun you can in 4ft of water with your short pants on.

New people are impressed with what we have wrought. And rightly so. Participation is a reward unto itself.

Enough of the kumbaya. There was a lotta death dealing out there. After my performance on Saturday, I was delegated to watching most of it. But there were some mighty mighty BBGs

Mikey clearly wasn't as sick as he made out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk

Hitting like he did back in the late 90s--hence the video!

An aside from LJ: his buddy Havi is falling in love with watervolleyball. Excellent--he'll be a great addition to this motley crew.

Jared in the main found his serve again, and did well as usual on the net.

I can't comment much on the BBGs in which I didn't play, which were many, but they looked pretty damn great. Amazing play all around. Others who played should describe...

Oh, hell, while I'm on a musical theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI

And thanks for adopting the Tbone inspired rule of 2 teams sitting out to let 2 dry teams of somewhat less skill level in so that everyone gets some trigger time. I know they love it, because they tell me so, and that's how we get more players and keep the 22 year long party that is this league alive.

I'm doing a lot of chiefing work up there along these lines. The help that comes from Panda corps on that front is appreciated.

It also means I'm doing a lot of losing and sitting. Saturday, for example. But rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Thank you for inviting me back into the BBG lineup. A team comprised of Ford, Dan, Scott, Steve (baby Bruce), Lee and me took the final best of 3 against Jared, Jonathan, Dwayne, Mikey, Jess, and Tbone.

We had to take sun side twice, and had one more unfamiliar player than you did. Jonathan's serves were really spot on, no doubt practiced in the Texas Penal league!

Birthday Dan had a good outing, but I think Ford took player of the day. I'm impressed. Born again hard as a player-coach.

I may be biased because he made no small effort to rehabilitate my rep today after yesterday, when everyone wanted to send me to the glue factory. But I think I earned my pay in the BBGs at the end of the day.

Ford-Chief combo set a record today for 4 straight give n gos to the back row. Didn't win that point, but it still goes in the books.

Forgive me for repeating what I consider the point guard's credo, explained to me by Pat Pants back in the day:

"You expect me to do crazy no look spin moves, sometimes off of 1 inch passes, and be on the mark?"

"Yes."

I still remember that lecture, and now tell it to up and coming pgs like Goliath. Hell, I even managed to set decent to my right today, which is rare.

Don't count me out yet, gentlemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

Happy birthday again, Danny boy...

Also on point for the song, a seriously drunk Scotty suffered a pretty serious injury--big wall collision. Paid the price to make the play.

People who were watching were cheering. And why not? People were playing their hearts out today.

Overused? I think it's awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZP-IfSZxl0

C'mon, let's fight!

Aren't you glad you all bought tickets to today's event? I am.

Had my doubts a week or 2 ago, but after today, we're ready for Dallas.

If he hasn't been struck with dementia at his advanced age, I believe Dan is going to call down a council meeting to try to plan the road trip. Purty please Pandas, grant us the attendance at the meeting and the road trip that will provide sufficient firepower for victory.

After said meeting, I will be dining on milk and cookies so that I can show up early at Riata on 7/'4 to try to get some law and order established. Note to late arriving "Bad Guys" If there's 8 shirts up when you get there, I killed them as fast as I could last time, by Ford's command. But if you want to play, sub in for me or others on the winning team, or get there early.

But don't get your water panties in a bunch because people like watervolleyball on the 4th. How well did that work for ya last year? Even though Pandas are pretty slowflakes, we are not pretty slowflakes on this particular day.

These are great days we're living, bros. We're like jolly bronze Pandas, with volleyballs!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 pm 

End of day, also Dwayne in the championship game. Forgot. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:37 pm 

Comedy moment of the day--Wings drank the ashtray!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:38 pm 

As Chief mentioned, T-Bone awarded Dick with his Lifetime Achievement Award on Sunday.

Here it is, before signatures were added:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:44 pm 

Waiting to see If I get pics from Dick of the delivery ceremony. It's one of the best things we've ever done, Pandas... ; ) it was poignant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:43 pm 

Dick accepting his Lifetime Achievement Award!

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 am 

So shines a good deed in a weary world... : )