AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sunday WVP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 pm 

I gotta say I was disappointed with the start of today's action. I was in the pool for about an hour playing with children, while residents declined to play and pandas tried to figure out whether they were there to play ball or learn quilting.

I was also confused, because LJ was there. Made me wonder if I was in the right place. I was sure I was when he got in the pool and sucked.

Early on a shirt went up. Oh great, more scrubs. Not so much. No one knows who they were, but there were good. They surprised a Jess led panda squad a couple of times. I encouraged them to come back. I hope they do.

Other notables--the return of Dub. Washed the rust off pretty fast.

Most notable was Dan, who got control of his inner Kent and changed games. Mainly with his serve. We were down 8-13, and 9-14 on the sun side. Dan said no, let's win this game. I think his serve got us at least 10 points in that game. And he did it in at least 2 other games I can remember.

Dan is player of the day.

Even with the high net, hitter's paradise out there today. Do you bastards get taller ever year? Not so bad I suppose for a point guard--target rich environment. I'm told I set up some nice bombs for the bombers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtEpy37-LFI

Also worth thinking about in terms of lineup: if we're gonna go points down the middle, best to have little Dave in front of me, because he turned into Goliath up there a few times, whereas my extra no-vert height works a little bit better back middle.

You inglorious bastards made me play about 3 more games than I wanted to, the last one to 21, as usual. At least hammered attorney Scott's guarantee of victory came true, though the hookup for the W came from a classic chief backing Ford straight over the right shoulder slam--21-13.

I know I often need convincing. I'm getting old. Because usually people who play the last games are all like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GVK6goeu4

Then the guilting happens--you're all out there because of me--it's all my fault--I owe it to the league--why don't I want to do what we all do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QCMuFz1cI

Alright. You win. Again. Players play. Quitters quit. At least time the last games were competitive. More awesome action out there than I can describe. Players played, and didn't quit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaHXIgdCMGs

Well done.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:39 pm 

I was bird bathing those serves alright. Not sure if we have defined bird bath yet though. I can get into a serving rhythm at Riata better than any other pool. Must be the large dimensions.

Also of note, Lip called a redo because I intimidated him while he was trying to set. :roll: Redo was granted as I recall.

A mystery person from a mystery phone number has been texting some of us about ball.

Likely suspects:
1. Jim Back
2. Scott
3. T2
4. Doc
5. Bunny

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 pm 

I took a couple photos yesterday before we started playing. Nothing too great, but here they are!

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:55 pm 

Yes, you pegged the children with water wings moment. That went on and on and on...

I've been bringing my camera, but haven't used it--video quality not as good as Dan's

I gave my last copy of the AWVP DVD to Alex on Saturday, because he says he's got awesome video capabilities (like 4 cameras with under water capabilities and tripods), who then didn't show up on Sunday.

Neither did T-bone. I'm told he couldn't get off the canvas. Glad I still can, because if this keeps up, it's gonna be a fun summer.

On the Deer phone calls, a couple of ways to go with it: Call the bluff--South siders who live close say you will be there with every panda in the lineup at 3pm. Then one of you show up and see who's there.

Alternatively, demand they identify themselves or they get no game from us. That has always been our way. Show one team photo at Deer or you get no challenge game. We will take all legitimate challenges, but sanction must be guaranteed.

Encourage them to issue an official challenge on the website. Said challenge can be investigated in terms of its origin.

I'm not terribly amused by hoaxes. It's been hard enough to get good game post Argosy. Trolls need to put up or be ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 am 

Dan is correct on the intimidation call. I was ref for that game, for what that's worth, disagreed with LJs call, and was very amused when I was reversed.

It's not the first time that happened out there. I was called by large TJ for intimidation many years ago. He said he was going to set, but I intimidated him. Presumably by being a couple inches shorter and 100 lbs lighter. The key to this is that he said he was "going to do something." Was I supposed to count 3 Mississippis?

Now there are nuances to this, people. The best thing I can say you can do is to shout "SET" and actually make a move for the ball. The risk is that you get your digits crushed. But you MAY have a legitimate claim, whether or not you get to the ball first. I won't even get into that last part--it's the most complicated part of the game and rulings have been decidedly inconsistent. See the old hitter/blocker rule, which was supposed to keep you on your side of the net and prevent armpit net crushing crashes.

However, if you call set and go over, that should also be a yellow card. Although I can't think of a time that has happened. The set might be lame or impossible, and it might accidentally go over, but I think, biased though I may be, benefit of the doubt on the call goes to the setter. But not for intimidation. I don't even know what that means. Can't be called. You either make the move in the lane or you don't.

I suppose the only reason I bring this up is that I continue to take offense to the side-sitting sanders. They claim there are no rules, and anything goes. I think they've always used that excuse as a reason not to play, fail to adapt, and lose.

Many years ago, I had a dispute with Pants over how you could serve, and I told him I tried to keep things as close as one could to standard rules of land ball, minus the 4 ft of water part. Pants consulted said rules and determined that no, you can't hold the ball in one hand and push it where you want it to go. And he became a better server for it.

We do have rules, and we try to abide by them. And I think we've been very accommodating to "sand sets," otherwise known as a "carry" in our league. Theoretical physics is on their side, after all: if I catch the ball with both hands right before the waterline and lift it up, it never technically touched my hands. Much like in an NFL game you can never get in the end zone if you kept having an off sides penalty that gave you half the distance to the goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:54 pm 

Dan wrote:
A mystery person from a mystery phone number has been texting some of us about ball.

Likely suspects:
1. Jim Back
2. Scott
3. T2
4. Doc
5. Bunny

Mystery solved. The texter is Dwayne. Didn't even suspect him :damn:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:38 am 

He wasn't texting you about mythical ball at some magical place, was he? That's not like him. I think he was just looking for info on games, although I'd hate to speculate before all the facts are in...

Submitted. Dwyane has put in the requisite time. He is a Panda now, and should be treated as such.

Post subject: Late June AAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:09 pm 

Wow. It feels like I played 5 days this week, instead of only 2. I'll blame the big pool and all that ground to cover, rather than my age...

Pretty good day Saturday. I'm on a pretty awesome losing streak the last couple of weeks, and was a little punchier than usual, but I remember kicking out some pretty good sets.

Goliath pulled off a couple of good net plays. Jess, Ford, and Scott were predictably dominant.

Player of the day was Navy, for putting in a respectable comeback appearance.

There was one notable disappearance. Heavy set dude who has been playing occasionally, Riata style, the last couple of weeks. He and his buddies showed up with a keg, and he went all trashy to get a game. Then walked out about halfway through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9EKgGsv4V4

Dumbass

Remember the warnings I give about the league getting old? Almost nobody showed up today. Jared, Dave (for one game), Ronin Steve, me, and Tbone were the vets. Bruce and his son, and the Jared harem made up the rest. Scott showed up and turned right back around.

Apparently discretion is the better part of valor sometimes. Long story short, people who don't ordinarily get to play got to play. Sometimes that worked out, sometimes it didn't. I'm looking at you, Timmah! You're an archaeologist, try digging up a game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APF3SO9tqE

Speaking of apocalypses, Ronin Steve says he's heading up to Dallas and will contact Darth Nowell. Find out some particulars about how they play and the best time to roll.

One thing I heard was no net touch. Dan, I'm looking at you here. Advantages are that they are significantly older than we--like me an Ronin Steve. So make em move a lot and don't let them get started, and you probably get the W. They play each other and aren't used to losing. This can be turned into an advantage.

I kept up my losing streak today. And will hurt again tomorrow. But by doing so, I think we increased the goodwill, and players who don't usually play got some trigger time. Given many in our league are having trouble making it both days for the weekend, let alone weekdays, that is a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:46 pm 

As the person that came up w/ redos after set interference years ago I have also been saying for years that when the major offenders which were/are Tinman, Jerod, and Creepy that just because you dont break someone's fingers or touch the ball it is still set interference...

Pretty simple concept actually...Not surprised you dont get it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:18 am 

I believe it's been got. But I've developed some under the net (because I can't much play over the net "any more") shots that look like sets, but aren't.

So I'm one of the main ones confusing things.

Hence my post. I've learned I certainly should be setting if I'm about to get crushed. So when I am (more recently than hereforeto), I'll shout, "Setting!" It won't stop the crush, but it is supposed to make a difference.

At that point, if I am going up to set, old Argosy rules, to prevent the Tinman/Creepy preferences LJ has mentioned, was that the setter is allowed to set. The operative point here is not who gets to the ball first, but if the setter is actually making a move, or at least calling out that he/she is passing, rather than going over.

In the chaos that is watervollebyall, it needs to be made obvious. Make sense?

I will concur that this is a technology we learned from Riata. We've also been doing much better with calling "Through the net" plays.

Conversely, to a certain extent, at least high class play at the exclusive resort community has gotten much better at determining "line" and back wall out calls in the event of a ball hitting so hard it skips.

I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept to teach, but it has been!

We all need to thank our lucky stars we don't play in Arkansas, where everyone must serve left handed, and walls are in!