AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Memorial Day 1
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:50 am 

Wowie wow wow.

I was discussing today with the Sheriff (no, not actual law enforcement, though, with our crew, that is always a possibility), and he said strange things happen in watervolleyball.

That's because strange people play watervolleyball:

There are more things in 4 ft of water than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio. Sorry, I'm on a Shakespeare kick, and since I'm pretty sure he never played ball, I thought I'd lend him a helping hand.

While we're on deep thoughts, I've heard it's been said if you travel the world long enough, you will meet yourself. Apparently this can be true if you play ball long enough in the same place as well.

Back at the Argosy, there was once an anti-Argosy team that lived there. They hated us Pandas, and would come out once or twice a year to lose. That team included a bald guy who called Navy "Baldy" Watervolleyball beatdown ensued.

Well, it appears out of the ingredients of pee and bad decisions, Riata has spawned Jess Jr. He's been around the last couple of weeks--super enthusiastic, way too drunk, and likely to jump all over you like a big dog. And they both speak "Blahpanese!" Albeit with slightly different dialects.

Haven't seen anything like it since Deto and Jim Back--mr peepers and papa peepers (You Tube video missing)

What a freaking day! Nary a scrub to be found, and thereby much great ball to be played. This taught me one thing--if we can get up there in force with sanction from residents (security has been pretty cool thus far), people won't screw with us. Better if good players are there in force, doing what we do, rather than one or two at a time.

Because, when we fight as a team, it answers the "How full of shit is Chief" question for the scrubs. I overheard several observers comment, "Wow, these guys are serious," and serious we were, for the most part.

Roll call included, but may not necessarily be limited to: yours truly, Jared, Ronin Steve, Wescott, Mikey, Jess, Jess Jr (tm), Wings, Misty, Alex, Dan, Ford, Attorney Scott, Tbone, Dwayne, and special guest stars FISH and LAWNMOWER. Welcome back to the NFL, gentlemen.

It's preseason, so here's how a lotta the games worked--the teams that gel first go up big. The goal is then to not let the other team get back in the game and figure things out, because they will make a run. So there were a good many games that would start like 10-2, and end 15-10.

Game play of note: Jesus and Mr. Tasty, the Resurrection. Early on me and Mikey put on a clinic. Especially in a 5 on 6 matchup where the 5 were me, Mikey, Wescott, Alex, and Ronin Steve.

Later on, I pulled a Silverback, and counted to 4--I've been criticized for taking the ball over on 2, and wanted to get Jess in the game, so I passed to him on 3--oops!

On one play, Fish decided to pull an (un)safety blitz, and dunked his teammate Ford when they were both going for a ball.

Dan blocked Scott, twice! Even though we know this is physically impossible, I think I saw Dan jump.

Even though we know this is also physically impossible, I'm pretty sure I jumped and blocked Dwayne.

An anonymous note to the league office--hard liquor should probably not be involved with watervolleyball to the extent that it has been of late. I learned this myself in a season known as the fall of Chief 2007.

At this stage of my career, I go all Bull Durham--I would like to thank the teams I was on today for giving me the opportunity to play. I try to work hard and contribute in a positive way, and am glad I can still be part of the sport. And then I come home all busted up and hope I can answer the bell tomorrow : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omEjXFCtgrg

Probably can't beat y'all one on one anymore, but that's why it's a team sport!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVACVY4DBew

But that feeling is better than frustration. I saw moments of greatness today that were many. Thank you all for attending, so we could to BBGs, because fighting awkward fighters is awkward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEuEvEK2nQ

Better opponents = better games

Enough fun for one day.

With the video above in mind, I don't think I've ever seen Jess in a cowboy hat--might be a nice touch.

Ball is The Light, and the life, people. Still the most fun you can have with your short pants on! And little guys fight til their burger. So clear those murder holes, and I'll see you on the beach!

In honor of absent friends--a TJ favorite from Silverback/Preserve days (our first real road trip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM

And you wanna know what motivational song Mikey played when we rolled up there with Navy and Tony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ErpFBO7RI

Still relevant today!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: Memorial Day 1
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:08 pm 

Chief wrote:
Haven't seen anything like it since Deto and Jim Back--mr peepers and papa peepers (You Tube video missing)

https://screen.yahoo.com/mr-peepers-fat ... 00243.html

:cowbell:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:31 pm 

Blah! Blah! Blah!

Buh! Buh! Buh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:44 am 

It's a great day for science!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 am 

twas a fun time. i felt like jim backing and retiring on the spot. go out with many bangs!

my only 2 cents here is please be conscious of the security guard. we had much yelling and throwing of beer cans. i am sure some of this looks disrespectful to the security person. they are there to keep order and the pool clean so maybe we can tone it down a notch on the faggotry.

we also have plenty of experience wearing out our welcome in such a fashion.

hopefully there is more ball this weekend. i be game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:39 am 

I will point out that I have been the janitor at Riata for oh so many years. After every game, I'm out there sweeping the perimeter, try to leave it clean when I leave, and I remind the residents to put the mat back at day's end.

But here's my take on things. I don't know much about Jess Jr./Baby Taz. I certainly don't know who's the boss of him. Maybe he lives there, maybe he don't. But I try to be very careful telling people what to do out there, for the following reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbkmjctIaXI

Because you see, at the Argosy, I couldn't even stop another resident from being a total douche (lord knows I tried), because, according to management, we are all equally worthless tenants.

Non-residents are grabastic pieces of amphibian shit from an apt complex perspective. So I tend to err on the side of caution.

Hell, I even told T-bone the little kid stole my ball, and that someone needed to get it back!

The line one must learn is that we're not up there to dictate terms. We're there to serve at the pleasure of the Riata residents that invited us. We can back their play, but any dispute must ultimately be resolved by a resident.

So, that's the worst case scenario. Thus far I think we're doing pretty good. Riata is it's own worst enemy--the chaos comes from them. But we must show restraint.

And I gotta admit, I've gotten a good laugh out of Jethro's expression and when he saw the Baby Taz! "That guy's louder than me!"

Indeed sir. Now how do we bring him into the fold and play good ball?