AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Road trip AAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:17 pm 

AWVP undefeated.

I wish to thank our generous hosts. They've got a hell of a venue--like a Colusseum. To quote Gladiator, "I didin't know men could build things like this."

Then again, we play at the Riata, a "resort community" of 3,000 people, whos motto is "Riata's got it!" Which hasn't led them to victory. Quite the reverse.

So, what's the difference?

We cut our teeth in different circumstances--I call the Argosy a dirty Philadelphia gym for a reason--and this is what it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__uyXo8R2o

This trip proves we are still hungry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJnKm6ftPu0

They fought hard, but came up short:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwy412nttI

I will say it ended more amicably than this, but not as close!

What's the difference? I'd say it starts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DxK1ZEMcg

Teamwork, gentlemen.

Dallas Chief says he wants to get his boys in a heated pool for spring training, starting March or April? Sound good to you? We can help with that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12u1nA7bXzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4hb7NcrJzQ

Our squad is unanimous in their respect for what he is trying to achieve. So I hope we return next year.

After all, two Chiefs are better than one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRd9PGmAQUE

And we have two missions--get Ilume up to speed, and take on the Emperor himself:

https://www.facebook.com/nowell.upham

Darth Nowell and the Dallas Sith : )

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 am 

AWVP at the ilume Dallas, TX 10/26/2013

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:14 am 

<object width="500" height="400"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=77945826&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0"><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=77945826&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="400"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 am 

I'm currently editing the game film. This was a glorious trip. A very successful first meeting. There was a chance of rain but we were good all day during ball, and then just after we got back to our hotel the rain started pouring.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:44 am 

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 pm 

do our friends in dallas drink natural light as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:57 pm 

I'm not sure what kind of beer they were drinking, but some of them did partake from our cooler of Natties. There was a margarita machine at the pool.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 pm 

The margarita machine was provided for our challenge. As was the DJ. Our usual welcome is haters and security guards. So quite a pleasant change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:58 pm 

That cooler was heavy--it had like 60 beers in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:29 am 

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/WeV3HUQ_jUw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/WeV3HUQ_jUw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I got one game up

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:25 pm 

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:36 pm 

Dan wrote:
<object width="500" height="400"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=77945826&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0"><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=77945826&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="400"></embed></object>

I like ilume Chief's thoughts at 2:27 about building each other up and having a good time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 am 

Point of order: you can't just count our scores on the video--the other team scored, too. If I were to watch this post, I would think we beat them 21-0, which is not the case.

Can we fix that in the next video?

If memory serves, they scored 6(in a 4s game to 11)-6-9-10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:03 am 

Dan,

You should also add that me and Dallas Ilume Chief were in agreement:

"If" we played the next day, the lesson of the challenge was over. We decided that he and his next best guy should be team captains and pick teams, such that there would be mix it up all play.

Let's let the history be correct: I woke us up on time to go to brunch and do this, but wills are stronger in remembering that this was an option than bodies were at the time to do it.

That does not kill the idea. Ilume Chief spoke about "Spring Training" for his boys. Maybe March or April. I recommend we attend, as long as the heater is still an option!

Here's how it works, IMHO--same mix it up strategy, but these may not even end up as games, but training sessions. If someone screws up on a play in training, redraw it: same play over again except for you do something else.

Because from what I saw, there may need to be some basic lessons on footwork, timing, and teamwork.

I'm hoping that Ronin Steve's straight Dallas crew will also get involved. Because a rising tide of skill raises all boats.

And we get in some trigger time earlier than we would ordinarily. Therefore, a 2014 deal that benefits all parties should be accepted along these lines, don't cha think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:16 am 

Dan,

You should also add that me and Dallas Ilume Chief were in agreement:

"If" we played the next day, the lesson of the challenge was over. We decided that he and his next best guy should be team captains and pick teams, such that there would be mix it up all play.

Let's let the history be correct: I woke us up on time to go to brunch and do this, but wills are stronger in remembering that this was an option than bodies were at the time to do it.

That does not kill the idea. Ilume Chief spoke about "Spring Training" for his boys. Maybe March or April. I recommend we attend, as long as the heater is still an option!

Here's how it works, IMHO--same mix it up strategy, but these may not even end up as games, but training sessions. If someone screws up on a play in training, redraw it: same play over again except for you do something else.

Because from what I saw, there may need to be some basic lessons on footwork, timing, and teamwork.

I'm hoping that Ronin Steve's straight Dallas crew will also get involved. Because a rising tide of skill raises all boats.

And we get in some trigger time earlier than we would ordinarily. Therefore, a 2014 deal that benefits all parties should be accepted along these lines, don't cha think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:34 am 

can we teach this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDpI6Zzy-vo

I hope so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 am 

Chief wrote:
Point of order: you can't just count our scores on the video--the other team scored, too. If I were to watch this post, I would think we beat them 21-0, which is not the case.

Can we fix that in the next video?

If memory serves, they scored 6(in a 4s game to 11)-6-9-10.

Their score is on the top, ours on the bottom. It's easier to edit this way because it's clear whose score is whose.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:20 pm 

I figured this out when I sobered up. Withdrawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 pm 

Game film is a harsh mistress. We had some good plays, but serves are kinda mooshy (I served the same guy like every time, and barely made him move), and we missed plays we should've made.

Always room for improvement!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm 

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/d8gCLqilgrI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/d8gCLqilgrI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Another game is up

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:25 am 

The signs that Scotty had gotten to maybe more than 5 beers are becoming apparent.

And my sets are too high for the height of that net.

That's two games in a row where I got the game point serve. Yay team! Usually your "scoring lineup" is where you've got a shorter player serving. As long as you don't stand back and take a picture and instead step up to field.

Like the form on Dave's serves.

Game film remains a harsh mistress. We did what we needed to do, but missed shots, and reacted wrong sometimes.

We're a very quiet team, compared to the home squad!

We went up there to show what the AWVP can do, meet new and interesting people, and win. Checked all boxes. The door is open for more road trips, and hopefully that will motivate the pandas who were not in attendance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:54 pm 

<object width="800" height="600"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=78592477&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0"><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=78592477&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="600"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:28 am 

Minus one game, Ilume worked out exactly how I like to play:

start out with a lead, and keep it. This allows you to make some mistakes along the way and survive them.

I like this game because we'd never played with these guys before, so it exhibits a bit of a learning curve the other games don't.

Part of that is the starting lineup--I deferred to my Dallas teammates, but they started both bigs at the front (no doubt so they could play together on the front row, which was most familiar to them), where our standard setup is to cross your point guards. This ensures you have at least one big fella on the front line at all times and options up the yin yang in terms of passing.

Remains to be seen which is better I suppose. We'll find out next year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:30 am 

Holy shit, boys, our big hitter's a lefty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:32 pm 

I'd like to issue a big thank you to Mr. McFarland and the ilume.

Thanks for the invitation, the music, the margaritas, the interaction, and the experience.

:thumbsup:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:25 pm 

<param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Kj9zIV-RFJE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Kj9zIV-RFJE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="700" height="500" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

AWVP ilume 10/26/2013 - 3

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:32 pm 

I second Dan's motion. Thank you, Ilume Steve, for the opportunity to bring our circus to your venue.

The real victory is in the experience. And that goes out to everyone who fought, on both sides.

It is always good to find other intelligent life in the universe...

When does spring training begin? From what the road team has said, I think they'd like to show up again.

As we discussed before, this time we'll mix things up from the get go. My boys are pretty well trained and are happy to share knowledge.

Gotta get you ready to take on Ronin Steve's friends, who have dominated the region for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:55 pm 

Game film the last (which I think was the 2nd full game) analysis:

Our serves were a little soft, which isn't bad. It's a new venue and all, and you have to learn the court. Rather a bit off the heat and the tricks than out all the time.

Jess sure got the hang of it. I like the way he mixed up heaters and lobbers. Racked up a lotta points.

Everybody passed, which was good. And they were on target about 90% of the time, which was great.

I'd like to give Scotty the benefit of the doubt that he was crouching in this game, rather than leaning against the wall. Maybe it's a new stance, for Scotty, in my experience, is not a croucher.

While Dan took many people on a free trip to pound town on the net, he also gave us the full palmic experience.

So, big fellas, I humbly request if we face Ronin Steve's friends, the Sith Lords of Dallas next year, no plays off or palms out or in, if you please.

You saw the hitter they got, rather unforgiving of breaks or palming, don't ya think?

Excellent road trip, well played by all, but we can do better. And that's why we watch the game film.

Strength and honor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:31 am 

Good stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:53 am 

awesome, guys! I will be able to watch this all in detail later. literally been working a lot since you guys came to town. we are looking forward to your next visit.