AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Riata weekend
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:11 pm 

Saturday--won many, lost few. Memories zero, or thereabouts. Very peppy and didn't have to drive, which gave me a great bit of drive, and little recollection, if you know what I'm saying. A bit scrubby. I can remember screaming "SET" at people at the end of the day.

Found something Large Vaughn can do well--sit at the net and pound it down. TBone refused to go up when he was hitting. I did, for which I got, "I admire you, Chief." At least I tried...

Another amusing tale needs to be filled out by LJ--apparently the Worst Loss In History keeps getting dumbed down up north--I think it was LJ, Dub, and some super sanders who lost to Team Scrub the weekend before, so I heard.

I feel his pain. Rhythm and chemistry are hard up there. Alex and 5 girls had my super team down 9-0 before we pulled out a 15-11 win.

Sunday--won few, lost many. Jared was a serving machine--ate me up for 6 straight. Hey, team. If I am struggling, do you want to watch me struggle, or help out by changing your alignment just a little?

It did provide the proper motivation to forget the pain, which was great for me, and try to get with the program. Early on Mikey and a decidedly not super yet super team went 6-0, which meant I was like 0-4.

However, BBGs were possible late in the day, and were super competitive and fun. Many sanders watched, some joined in. Those games swayed back and forth.

I didn't play a single game with Mikey, so some of my teammates, including attorney Scott, will attest that I can set people other than him.

Despite the everpresent scrub factor (which can best be dealt with by getting out, letting 2 less skilled teams play, and taking winner), there's a level of cameraderie up north I haven't experienced before. Alex especially has stepped up. He knows what good game is, and wants to be a part of it, and can be.

Jared's harem has produced Tiffany, who is a cleaner setter than anyone out there, and Wings, who is slowly learning. If he ever gets good, watch out.

Things I especially hate about scrubs--they tie up, and bitch continually about getting in. So, I walked up to one guy and gave him my spot, to which he said, "No, not without my team." I admire your loyalty, idiot. I can only give you one spot. Mine. Otherwise, you have to wait, and you will lose. Next in line are the ones who tie up, and have an hour to line up a team, and then show up with no team! Last on the list, because they don't much matter, are the ones who tie up, and then are nowhere to be found when it's time for their game.

Amusing scrub fantasy overheard on Sunday: "Maybe this will work out better for us this time. Last time was really bad." To dream the impossible dream...

Other amusing things coming out of the weekend, from LJ--T-Bone, the human time out. Never has his shoes on or is ready when game starts. A step up from the former Riata Chief, Fish, the timeless time out--20 minutes guaranteed before he was ready to play.

After 20 years in the league, I find I am still very frisky on Saturday. Being frisky on Sunday--is hard. What keeps me going is that I'm supposed to be good at this, and people rely on me. There are limited spots at Riata, and it is a shame to waste one.

3 weeks left up there. What then, pandas?

Death from above! Fire down below!