AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sunday Riata AAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 pm 

Undefeated today, on a few team mixes. But mainly with Jared, Tbone, Kent, and Ronin Steve.

Player of the day would be Jared. His net play and serves are best I've seen from him. Some of the new big hitters *Vaughn and Ryan) are learning, and are very motivated. Big Ben ripped 4 very serious serves in a row. Mikey and sander Tony gave us a run for our money, but came up short on people to field.

Jared's friend Wings decided to get out of clown college today and to not suck. I could see today he was thinking about what he was doing. If he can take it to a level beyond not sucking, he could be dangerous, although reaction time is still a factor.

Tbone struggled mightily, but made enough plays to help get Ws.

These are turning into very long weekends for me. Ugh, do I hurt on Mondays.

Hope all went well at Deerfield. I will be available there next weekend, but my wrist hurt all week from the last time I played there. Sorry Pandas, I'm old, with pre-existing injuries, so cannon serves fired downhill and unobstructed slamma jammas take their tole on me.

Newsflash--I now hear another ball popped down there, even when towels were used to cover pointy plants. Maybe try blankets next time...

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 am 

Mondays in the summer suck more every year. I had a Monster drink and two Advil with my cereal this morning.

Some of the residents are getting better. Saturday there were way too many people trying to make impossible shots when a pass or set would've been a lot easier (including some residents that know better). There were more attempts to pass and set Sunday, although many off target. Progress is progress, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 am 

yes, some progress. and yes i thought jared's serves were very good. net play? way too many balls in the net. ben's serves were also good.

its trying up there.

as for me. wow. i made one bad play. all serves over. all spikes in, including backrow. i batted 1.000 on all my hits. probably the best and most efficient i have ever played at teh riata. end result = i lost all games except one. i think 4 or 5 losses.

you can't go to war with one. that was tony. and 4 folks that are trying but just can't quite deploy thumbs. and many of them were actually sand ballers too. but just couldn't handle their drink and kept trying that overdone high ass sand set which gets nothing done.

MEMO to sanders. i am a 30 carry back. if you see me hitting them in then give me more. MOAR

i thought me, chief, jared and steve, the only real veterans out there made almost all our plays. everyone was very efficient and really damn good. so that is good thing. hope that rubbed off on the others with us. just in terms of common fucking decency to play and pay attention.

i played just one day. feel fine. might want to work in some single day weekends to get some rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 am 

I bought a Dragon ball yesterday and that is the one that popped.

Resident Michael talked to management about those lovely plants and they said he can cut off the points.

The plants have now popped 4 balls.

I sure would like to play some good big boy games. Low turnout at Deerfield yesterday and we were playing girly rules, i.e. don't spike the ball it is too scary and might hit somebody. I blocked a girl on the net and it was called a do-over. That's too extreme! She didn't have a chance to hit it over with your hands up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm 

dan, thats a distrubing note there and having to play nice. so were there just not enough pandas to make any game competitive? is it possible to get a BBG going there still, even with those ladies there?

not good to hear.

we had something like a big boy game up at riata, but that was mainly due to the portly-ness of our compadres.

i told jess to talk with rob on what day is going to be danfield this next weekend? any clue? me and bunny are going to be down that way saturday running some errands and wondering if we can jump in and get some balls saturday? or is it still just sunday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 pm 

It was me, Jess, Ford, Rob and some locals. I suppose we had poor communication and some people went to Riata.

I prefer Deerfield if we can have players. If we don't it is frustrating.

Riata can be frustrating for other reasons.

I don't know what the schedule is this weekend. Jess seems to want to play at Deerfield as much as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 pm 

My vague understanding of the schedule is that Rob can play Deer every other Saturday, and since he played this Saturday, that means Deerfield Sunday only next weekend, unless something has changed, and someone else down there can wear the Chiefing pants.

Plant maintenance is a good sign. Foo foo rules are not.

Problems somewhat similar between courts--enough good players = bbg; not enough = frustration. However, at the new venue, I worry about resentful residents if you roll that way all day.

Possible solutions--Let the tards have their game and sit for bbg. That works at Riata, sort of, but it doesn't sound like Deer can field a team without you guys. That could also be an advantage.

Next, only beat up on good players--ignore the other ones or play real soft against them. In effect, play around them. They will probably get tired of sucking and wander off. Pretty likely if history is any teacher.

I know they don't play 3s at Deer, but it sounds like you were only 2 players short for 3BBG. Gives you a chance to teach 2 locals. Hell, Wild Boys were willing to beat me up in late night games playing with Argosy Dave, his brother, or Monkey #2. And if they won't play 3s, then show em what it's like to play 2s in that pool to the best of your ability. With certain restrictions, we've done 3s at Riata back in the day.

If there's a will, there's a way...

In closing, here's the problem, pandas. Deer may be convenient for some, but is too inconvenient for others. Too far south for Riata northside boys. Given the changes that have gone on up there (security guards now joke about all the vball players and entourage that don't live there), the larger talent pool, and they fact that they took us all in when we were homeless, I will not abandon them wholly, especially for a venue with is developing.

Still a lotta questions down there. How many pandas is too many? Where were Pat, Beth, Wescott? I know Scotty and little Dave were out of town.

I'm more than happy to split my time, but, unless there is a management based reason, like there was at the Argosy at the end ( : ( ) the 5pm start time at Deer is a little late. We all know start time is relative, so when I hear 4, I know it means 5.

And sorry, with my beat up car and Indy 500 driving skills, just like I'm not willing to drive an hour to play Riata weekday ball, I'm not going to hit both venues in a single day. Just a me thing. Minimize the risk and the drinking and driving thing. Take it from Jared's friend Jonathan--being ankle booted ends your season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 am 

Chief wrote:
I know they don't play 3s at Deer, but it sounds like you were only 2 players short for 3BBG.

Sir, we do play 3s at Deerfield.

On Sunday it all started late and we played a few games of 5 on 5 to 21 with the locals and then we were done. The no spike rule did evolve throughout the course of the games to only spike with your left hand, and then eventually we spiked a few with our right hands. The horror!

These players pretty much wanted to just get the ball over the net. :ohwell:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 pm 

It's official. We're playing Deerfield Saturday. LSU Jim will be in town.

:pillowfight:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 am 

Hey, here's a first. I agree with Dan!

These AARs are not helping convince me that I need to be spending more time down south.

No spike rule!? Really? Where was their Chief to explain to them that beach balls and water wings don't work anymore?

Serves hurt out there, too. Are you going to be asked to only lob them, and if a player can't get to them, to do it over? Maybe carries and 3 second holdies should be implemented.

Well, here we go again. Guess what? If they raise the net, spikes and serves will be less dangerous.

Sorry boys, at least I get to wear my villain mustache at Riata, and am backed by residents. Hence, allowed to play as hard as needed to win, including 15-0 club against scrubs.

Wow. decisions, decisions...

At the risk of repeating certain mistakes at Argosy, it might be too early at Deer to play by the rules of whoever shows up--because no playing hard ain't gonna work.

Here's a suggestion: Chief Rob and his ronin Pandas sit--let the locals bat the ball around with tarded abandon. You challenge, and play by their rules. The team that wins that battle then makes the rules. It does contain one resident, does it not? All the nay sayers have to do is win, and then they can return to beach balls and water wings.

And, Riata style-ish, if you win 2 in a row, all big boys sit, and let the chumps fart around, then play winner. Lather, rinse repeat.

If they don't have enough players to do the clown show without you, you might want to mention that...

Then, from what I've heard, the answer is that a couple of you get in, with your dominant hand stuck up your butt, and game on.

If Marquis de Faggotry was any example, once the locals accepted that you weren't going away, and you mixed it up, they were actually happy to have good players on their team who could spike, and serve, and stuff.

Sigh. Looks like we're in for a long learning curve.

Please tell me that if I show up that games will not be relegated to what you said. That's actually worse than Riata.

I've always been about this--amateurs don't make the rules of the game, professionals do. If amateurs insist on making the rules, they either need to win, or they can play each other, all X number of them. If they don't have enough for a team, too bad. Play each other, and the score will be called. Not sure what they're going to do if they can't actually make a team, since no pros will play with them. Maybe get bored and wander off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am 

i heard. so we have enough residents? me and bunny will likely show saturday at danfield too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 am 

We're friends with multiple residents now.

Rest assured that the no spike rule is certainly not a regular thing. There was hardly anyone at the pool and we scrapped some teams together and the girls didn't want us hitting hard.

Saturday should be fun in the sun. The return of Cricket. We can clip those yuccas and get some good games going.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 am 

Chief wrote:
Sigh. Looks like we're in for a long learning curve.

:butthead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:00 pm 

Chief wrote:
Well, here we go again. Guess what? If they raise the net, spikes and serves will be less dangerous.

:butthead: :butthead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:33 pm 

Since Cricket is in, I'm down, likely for both days. I'll be wearing my cast. No bitching about that, please.