AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 7/6 AAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm 

In military terms, splitting one's forces is not usually a good idea. But the ultimate goal of the AWVP is like our own armed forces--to be able to prosecute and win battles on two fronts simultaneously.

It's a struggle, and a strain on resources, but I hope it was true today. My report is from the northern front. I look forward to hearing about what happened with the southern strategy.

Riata is a very hard place to keep running smoothly. But currently full of players or wanna be players who are eager to participate. That's called a talent pool. When I got there today, more shirts up than there were on the 4th of July.

And, in a year of firsts, a decidedly non-super Riata super team had apparently been dominating for more than an hour, and continued to do so, against teams that way should've beat them. From what I heard, 8 games in a row. If that were a team of vets, I'd have been pointing the shame finger and saying, "You had your time, break up the team, or get out in favor of dry players." But that was not the case. These were not typical starters beating teams with starters.

The key to victory came when Jared hit Boston Bruce right in Beantown, and took him out of the game for the rest of the day.

Sitting can motivate you. LJ put together a squad that involved me, Dub, Rommel, little Nicky, and TJ. A little undersized and overmatched against a team that included Mikey, Tbone, Kenny, Jared, Ronin Steve...

Playing on the bad side, we won. Although this will burn many ears on this site, LJ's coaching, play calling, and dedication did a lot to make that team win.

For those of you asking why I put myself through the often excruciating Riata experience, that's why. Also this:

Eventually, we got some BBGs in. Ford and Scotty showed up, and there are some Riata players that I've been working to get into the mix. And, even though it won't help me on the net, someone go befriend giant Riata Chris, and tell him to stop playing on half assed teams that can't set him, wait around for a while, and get into the professional mix. The man has talent, and is not being sufficiently recruited. I doubt he'd be so lackadaisical if he was regularly on good teams and faced with good opponents. Reminds me of a taller Jim Back, with all his faculties about him...

Thirdly, this: winning hearts and minds.

Because we've been putting time in up there, we've made the game better, and people know it. I've got guys outside the pool watching how we play and cheering us on. Hell, they probably just wanted someone to win so they could get in, but still.

I'd have to say, minus the old days when Fish was chiefing up there, this is the most "organized" interest I've seen from the resort community in a while.

Fourth--greater need. Tbone informed me he's on vacation for the next 2 weeks, and he asked me to guest chief Riata. Deerfield has a chief, and, double bonus, he's also a point guard. You don't need me down there right now.

Fifth--good for the league. I see this as a joint effort. While my efforts up north will never meet with universal panda satisfaction, I feel I'm making a difference. Creepy's protests notwithstanding, I genuinely would like to see the south side venue develop, and I think it would be good if south siders took the lead in that. Make it a team effort, a panda effort, boys.

On that note, and back to the top of this post--pandas do what they wanna do, and go where they wanna go. Most often, to what they know. I did not lobby for any players today. They were advised of their options, and acted according to their individual wills. If the south side needs players in the next couple of weeks, I suggest they contact individuals they want out there ahead of time. There will be no bitching from me.

Sixth--two state solution. This is good, actually. two pools are better than one. It may take a year or so, and I have a strange feeling that if, as I remember, the Deer is heated, that Donkey Boy, LJ, and Dub will be chomping at the bit to head south once the end of August comes around.

Side comment. Tooting my own horn. Blocked Mikey once, and Scotty twice, on that damn high net. Didn't think I had it in me anymore.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:34 pm 

i thought the games were great. and there are plenty of good riata guys up there. there is russian chris, pipe hitting kenny, otehr 6'5" dude and the larger due who later in the day was hittng the shit out of the ball. best group of non pandas i have ever seen out there. great games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:36 pm 

and me and chief both voluntarily sat a few times so folks could play. kudos to us for rare riata civility