AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Riata weekend
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 am 

For reasons that currently escape me, both days were played at Riata.

First day, limited pandas, but I was fired up, and played strong. I almost pulled a Scotty, and took a group of rooks to victory vs. a team with 3 vets. That's 3 on 1. But came up short. We were up 13-5, and they put 5 straight serves out to the right, and we lost. So the minimum number of players with experience required to win on a side remains 2. I did get to block a guy who was 6' 6" though.

Second day, lots of pandas, so lots more to write about.

That place is never going to be easy to run with any sort of effective command and control--too many people, too many ideas, too much drama.

At least we've got return business with a group of new residents up there who are trying to learn. And there have been some surprising results. I've already lost count of the "worst loss in history" results, where lots of vets get spanked, sometimes by new guys. The shame sucks, but their cheers are good for the league.

Notables--Gabber, and of all people, Shay, returned to the game on Sunday. Also, an injured Pat played well, as did nice Beth. A pleasant surprise visit from Chief Rob of Deerfield, who transitioned well to the bigger venue.

Other long absent players were also impressive. Ford was playing like he did in his first couple years in the league, by which I mean outstanding. Jess had an amazing reverse one handed shot that went back row to back row. I will remind him that the need for a trick shot meant he was beat on the play, and got just a bit lucky. He was also pleased to get some sets on we played in the one game that I won all day! Dub woke up about 2/3 of the way through the day and crushed. Tiff, one of the girls Jared brings out, may give me a run for point guard of the year. Fantastic sets.

Biggest disappointments--ME, and Mikey. We're rhythm and chemistry players, and a lot of that was missing, leading to repeated fail.

That's the tough part up there. How to manage games, and get in on a good one. LJ's habit of pulling shirts when you fill in on a game, sand style, speeds things up, but it really threw me off how to effectively get people in the pool you want to play with.

Another part of the "problem"--you put together a team that is supposed to win, and you don't. Then you're out for 2 or more games and may never get into a good rotation again. Well, then I guess the answer is not to lose when you should win, and not to "Lip" about it when you do.

The other tough one for me is when you're putting together a team. Everyone wants to be on it.

Apparently, I'm being too passive. Jared figured it out after a bit of Jager--"We have a team. You're not on it. Get out."

Here's the dilemma--how to not make a super team that wins all day and drives away potential players, how to make it not "us" vs "them" and be able to mix it up, and yet how to get the BBGs that we all want.

There's got to be a way. I just haven't figured it out yet.

And boy, I gotta tell ya, my last 2 years of limited play, due to the crazy woman and before that, a nearly season ending injury, haven't helped my conditioning. Back to back weekend ball days are hard.

I say this to those of you who have not been showing up. You're missing valuable trigger time. Let the pandas reconvene, and let the waters heal, wherever we may play.

As we all know, Riata plays on a short season. Maybe by the time they're done, we can get Deerfield up and running ship shape in Bristol fashion for the longer season we're used to, with less distraction and better battles.

One can only hope. With no plans coming out to the contrary, and with an invitation being made on Sunday, by Chief T Bone, I go back into the gates of hell July 4th.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 am 

my two cents. the cops. NEVER ENGAGE WITH THE POLICE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TO.

nothing good will come of it. we have 3 cops cars and one angry and armed security guard who was reaching for a fucking taser at one point.

that ruined the entire mojo of the game we were playing and i just said f it and took of before they could manage to get their way back into the police cruisers and back on the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am 

Was he gonna taze Chief for being a smart ass?

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 am 

some drunk girls were being booted. LJ decided to intervene. Drunk girls left, LJ is also asked to leave. Now we have a baller with a bad run in with the man. that is not what we want.

I understand LJ was upset with what was going down. Maybe he can shed some light on it here. However, i still feel that this is something to never mess with. It has teh potential to derail the game and the fact that most of us are cool with security and they left us play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm 

The security guard was and has been abusing his power all summer. Asking residents to leave, get out of the pool in the middle of a game to show id, etc. Bottom line is that there have been multiple complaints about him and Riata said that he will no longer be working the pool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:04 pm 

that was light i was hoping to have shed.

well, he always seemed cool with us. he lets us play and doesn't seem to bother anyone. i guess you guys know more than i.

just be on good behavior when the new guard shows i guess.

police abusing power? who would have thunk it. was he asking residents to leave yesterday? why? glass bottles? eh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:49 pm 

Did somebody steal his donuts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 am 

: )

I've been there long enough, and so have other Riata residents, to remember the times when they had actual cops with guns (GUNS! At a POOL!) hanging out there. Kind of freaked me out. And to remember the time when the cops were grilling, and ignored the screams going on in the parking lot, while several ballers jumped the fence and ran over to see what was going on.

I see College's point, from the aspect of a non-resident. Jared is bringing like 10 people these days. Why do we want to call down the thunder on ball and ballers, if "we" are not subject to the persecution, especially with memories of old times, where they used to hammer ball pretty hard.

But that's only one perspective. And not the important one. If security is regularly hassling residents, they're not doing their job. And should get gone. The question is, will the next bag o' doughnuts they hire be any better than the last one?

I suppose long term residents can keep the turnover going? What happened to the yellow shirts from a while back? The skinny black guy was nice...

Of course it will never happen, but I see a Creepy-LJ bonding moment on what happened this weekend. LJ was speaking his mind regarding abuse of authority, and was thrown out of the pool, his own pool, for doing so. I doubt Creepy could find a way to describe such defense of enjoying one's freedoms to be considered being a smartass, but then again, he's shown a certain epstistemological closure of thought along these lines, to the extent that I fear he's disappearing up his own primary aperture.

LJ was fighting for "our" freedoms. But he's a smartass, so he's been banned from the website for "unmutual" views. I don't always agree with what he says, or does. I'm not sure if he made the right decision this time. But he was sober, and clearly, from the reaction of residents, he has some support for his dissent.

It sure would be interesting to revisit the number of times the banning of LJ has occurred from the website has occurred, the reasons for said banning, and whether a vote was taken on said banning.

I'm especially confused about why Creepy thinks dissenters are stealing his doughnuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:48 am 

LJ was banned from this site? jesus christ! lets not act like the real internet here.....which is serious business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:28 am 

The bannings of LJ by Creepy I count at 3, but I may be incorrect.

LJ called me a couple of times to discuss, which represents the only times LJ has ever called me. His number is not in my phone. I couldn't give it to you if you put a gun to my head. I don't know it.

In the past, he and I were pretty much flat out enemies. Didn't care for the mouth. But times change, and to quote Magnificent 7, "he's a good gun, and we're not headed to a church social."

I came here neither to bury LJ, nor to praise him. All I can say is that he's a long term ball player who knows some things about the game, and when met with the challenge of beat us or joined us, joined.

There is no more Argosy, kind of like how there is no more vet squad. We have no more enemies, only friends. Although those friends may disagree.

That's a good thing, right?