AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deerfield Sunday
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 am 

Deerfield proved a welcome break from Riata.

You pandas who are avid fans are right--it's a lot like Argosy, and that fact brought out some familiar faces--Mikey, Attorney Scott, Jess, Dave, Creepy, Wescott, Ronin Steve, and yours truly.

At the Deer, that's what's known as a quorum, that will allow good games all day. Much skill and valor was displayed, just like old times!

We did an experiment with cameras on each side of the court that might lead to TOTAL COVERAGE, if the kinks can get worked out.

That's the good part, which is plenty good.

But...

There are still problems:

Issue #1--winning hearts and minds.

First game I got in on involved perhaps 2-3 other residents besides Deer Chief Rob. They were grumbling about our rules. I've seen this from both Riata and Deerfield--they like to volley for serve. Y'all remember PING, right? I think we've outgrown it, but humor them, please.

They also didn't like our penchant to armpit crash the net. Well, I've only been pining over the solution to this for 20 years or so, and I don't have one. The league is pretty inflexible on the subject of net contact, so our basic implicit message on this day was this: "Yes, visitors make the rules now. We are here at the invitation of Resident Rob, and there are more of us than there are of you. We're also better than you are, and more experienced. If you can muster sufficient manpower to field a team that will defeat us and thereby prove the superiority of your rules, we'll play by them. No? Then go bounce a ball in the corner, or participate, and try not to get hurt."

Initial impression is that Deer Chief Rob is a hard drinking, music loving, mouthy player. Reminds me of... me! We can work with him. Still remains to be seen what his level of involvement is (I'll get to that soon). The rest of them... not so much. I was stuck with a 1 and over player for about half the day, which is like giving the other team an extra point guard. He put nice high floaters over every time. The others, worse!

Smaller pool = less buoys, and less damaging when they play. But they exist. And we must be willing to work with them. However, they seemed rather grumpy and/or intimidated to me. That ain't good, but it's about the best we have to offer under current conditions.

Resident Rob took the lead in chasing away a family of children with water wings who wished to occupy the ball pool, when there is another one they could bask in. And there was only a little hating. 6 beer Scotty almost hit em with a ball to chase em out. Bad Scotty. That step is only taken when they refuse to leave, and you tell them you will play "around" them. See Wescott putting the mark of shame in the back of a Riata drunkard with a serve right into his back! And children are NOT targets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU04j2ssNAk

Issue #2 Deerfield Obstacle

Remember the SNL skit with the single issue candidate for NYC Mayor who kept saying "The rent is too damn high!"? Well, you're no doubt familiar with my refrain: "The net is too damn low!" That remains true. Gosh, it's been a while since I've been beaten up real good playing ball. Current Riata net height prevents that. Got to block and spike at Deer though. Mixed bag for a professional, but a higher net will make residents possibly less fearful, and will make the game better, dammit. Since we're trying to recreate Argosy, someone get out there with a tape measure and determine differentiation in net height, so that we can dismiss the how full of shit am I question.

Hear me out before poopy head judgment is rendered. Turns out the fix is easy. Upon further examination, Deerfield net is affixed at the top with holes drilled through the poles, with bolts and screws holding it in. So, guess what, rather than replacing the poles, the fix is simple and non-invasive--drill holes higher--I recommend 2-3 at various increments. Raise it when you start the day, lower it when you're done. No muss, no fuss. Now all we need is Resident Rob's permission to do a really simple thing--drill baby drill! (still after dark say I). And no reason to ask management permission to put extra holes in a pole that already has holes. Quite different than complete replacement.

However, the second day I've played there brought another annoying problem to not just my attention. POINTY PLANTS. I lost Grippy and Jethro lost Dragon Grippy to the pointy plants. This is actually worse than any issues with the net.

No one likes being poked in the balls! Those plants either have to be clipped, or, with permission of management of course, moved way the F away from the court. I won't bring another ball out there until this is done.

Issue #3 Game time

I understand it's early on for this venue, and many of you have little experience with this in terms of your various tenures at Argosy, but setting up a regular schedule is crucial. When and who's going to be there are questions that kill ball. They need to be answered more or less ahead of time. I'm in the dark. What does Resident Rob, Chief of Deer say? I've taken to bringing my fight bag with me to work, in case the go code is issued, but I'd rather know when to do so. Can we work on that?

Issue #4 The Big Picture

We've been a bi-poolar league for some time now. Longer than some of you would care to admit. When Panda Corps lost the rebel base, that could've been the end. Instead, Riata took us in, because certain pandas had been building rapport up there.

I'm unwilling to completely abandon a reliable venue for the hopes and dreams that the Deergosy will rise. It could also turn into the Mirage. So far I have no guarantees. So, as I did when I saw the handwriting on the wall for Argosy, I intend to hedge my bets. What I'm getting at here is that Dub is a panda, Tbone and Jared are basically pandas, albeit ones who don't travel all that far, or in Tbone's case, at all.

Therefore, in the interest of the greater league, I'm not willing to play every game at Deerfield this summer. Especially since issue #3 has not even been debated, let alone resolved.

Here's what I propose, based on input and schedules I'm aware of: Deerfield Saturday, Riata Sunday.

Dub wants to see the Deerfield "professionalized" in terms of the Obstacle (metrics, not players) before he travels, echoing my concerns. Jared can't play Saturdays, and we'd really have to sell the venue to get him that far south. I ain't willing to sell it yet.

Just speaking for myself, but I don't value leaving 3 northside pandas in the lurch. And the go code has been really shaky for the Deer.

See issue #3 again. I got's ta know what's going on more than an hour before kickoff on the weekend, or I'm headed to Riata, where I know there is "game."

This ain't hard, gents. Just give me solace in saying there's Deerfield game on Saturday at a certain time, and I'm there. I'm the only one who has to split my time between venues, and if Riata really pisses me off, I will make the long ass drive from R to D on Sunday.

Leaving everything up in the air just damages both options.

Chief Lear has spoken

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: Deerfield Sunday
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am 

Chief wrote:
Here's what I propose, based on input and schedules I'm aware of: Deerfield Saturday, Riata Sunday.

The schedule is actually

Saturday: Riata
Sunday: Deerfield

Rob works sometimes on Saturdays

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm 

I'm so tired of hearing about the net and these secret blackop missions. Do something about it or don't. Why do you have to keep bringing it up? The net's fine as far as I'm concerned. The pool has a net! That's good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm 

i saw the folks get a little disenfranchised with us too. hard not to though, only rob has any game, and i think he is damn good actually. i think just smaller numbers here and there for deerfield is a great idea. maybe we can build up another person other than just rob.

i like the place. the court is great. a bit wide and funky, but fine. i'd love to play some intense ass threes on it.

yeah, and that one guy was lobbing every set into the net. i thought he was going to kill someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 am 

OK Dan,

Point of order:

I will cite Argosy metrics. Argosy is the standard to which we all agree. To what degree does the Deerfield net height differentiate?

I've put forward my rationale for why there is a net issue. "The net is fine" is not an argument, it's a conclusion. Please state each and every fact supporting your argument.

Many pools have nets. Not all of them are playable. I once "played" at a place that had a net set at tennis court level.

All opinions should be considered here. Who thinks the net at Deerfield should be lowered?

I did my share of strategizing and black ops when I was chief of Argosy. And I always accepted input before I made my decision.

The comment of "do something or don't" reminds me of the classic legal precedent: rubber v. glue. If you're implicitly giving me carte blanche to sneak out in the dead of night to Deerfield with a drill, I'm not gonna do it.

Here's why: I am not in a position to make unilateral decisions any more; we are not in agreement on the project; and, as I've already said, I consider this to be a south sider's venue, where decisions will be made by Resident Rob and a committee of local Pandas.

If the decision you all have made, after much deliberation, is that nothing will change, then the repercussions of popped balls due to pointy plants (2 last Sunday, which = $40 in one day), and broken pandas due to a low net (just wait) are on you, sir, as the apparent spokesman for the status quo.

I recommend you start bringing more than 2 volleyballs and a lot of medical tape in your fight bag.

Since RR has to work some Saturdays, is there any indication of which Saturdays? If not, this must be very disruptive for his Friday partying...

4th of July plans for ball still lingering. I await my orders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 am 

Here are your orders: if you want something done, take some responsibility yourself instead of putting it on others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:58 am 

i will be balling saturday at the riata. umm hmm.

get a room fun boys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 pm 

Chief if you want something done take some responsibility yourself. We are trying to play ball and have fun but you think you are entitled to bitch bitch bitch that the "south siders" need to fix whatever issues you decide to complain about while you act too high and mighty to actually do something about them yourself in a decent and respectful manner. That is weak character and it is getting old. Our purpose in life is not to solve your problems. If you think you are the wise master that is whipping the younger crowd into shape think again. You are acting like a grumpy old man and it's making me want to dominate you on the net that much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:59 pm 

I'm watching the videos and the net's not even low. It's fine. Chill out and we'll work out the kinks over time. :bear:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:32 pm 

Hey Man Nice Obstacle is now up!

http://www.watervolleyball.net/AWVP_TV.htm

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:04 am 

I'm going to have to head to the store buy a new ball. Can't remember why I need to do that, just that I won't be bringing it south. Oh no, I've said too much!

Ok, Boss Creepy, I will respect your authoritay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CBqjZX6FjE

Post subject: for would be Chiefs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:12 am 

submitted without comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYpvlV2T6kw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:49 am 

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PLANTS THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:56 am 

Nice video. I'm also pining for the fjords--arguably, no one is pining more than I am. But you're beating a dead parrot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE

Next question--why did we do what we did? What made it special, like a Norwegian Blue? And how does the blue fly again?