AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Undubfeated
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 am 

Another roller coaster day at Riata, but this time, with 12 reliable players most of the day. Makes a difference, don't it? Thanks guys for full attendance.

Every game I played my team started out down 5-6 points right out of the gate. Not my favorite. Then went on to win. That is one of my favorites...

Undefeated today. As was Dub. I think the supporting cast had something to do with that, as Dub was on every team I played with--also got to play with Mikey and attorney Scott. If memory serves, I also believe Dub hit the 14 mark on serving in one game today, against opposition that was not composed entirely of children with water wings.

Notables--Wescott on the net. I don't think he missed a block today. Such a performance is just about in 15-0 club land. Jethro also was block serious. Later in the day, he whipped out the moon ball, to such effect that T-bone was laughing so hard about his own team's mishaps he was drooling! Another amazing serving performance was put in by a very drunk Riata Joe, on the sun side. He couldn't see anything, could barely stand, and racked up like 10 straight points.

Always fun to be surprised--well, sort of. After we had picked teams late in the day, with Scott and Dub as captains, me and Dub (his first pick), had to sit out, because dry scrubs wanted to do their thing. So Creepy the bald eagle stood tall, without vet support, perched on a forest of scrubs, vs. Scotty, TBone, Jess, Misty, Riata Tom, and Misty, and T-bone. That's kind of like Creepy vs. the world!

The outcome is why watervolleyball is not insanity--only a crazy person would do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. But the results were quite different than expected. The super team lost!

Dub wanted me to convey that this was the worst loss in AWVP history! I concur. Although me, Mikey, and Jim Back being slaughtered 15-1 "early" one weekend at Argosy comes close.

Well, that gave me certain advantages, like being able to pick up Scott, Jess, and Misty for the next matchup. Last game of the day, to 21.

Sorry bald eagle, lighting don't strike twice.

Other comments:

We let an "all play" game occur in the middle of the day. Approximately 12-14 players sat for that, to let the drunk trash talking girls and their scrubtastic minions do their thing. Thank you for your patience. Without it, they would just wander into games all day long. Better to let them do their thing, challenge the winners, and then dismiss them, being professional, more than cruel, and less than kind. I took the hit and played with them, which ended up meaning I was out for 2 games, but such is life at the Riata...

Last comment. This league needs more point guards. Me and LJ are OLD. Little Dave hasn't been motivated to get enough trigger time. Standing mantra: "If the set ain't pretty, big man looking shitty!"

Take poor Ford's example today--he was up on me on the net about half a dozen times, and nobody to exploit the mismatch. I've been doing this to Ford for years up there. I'm sure it's frustrating.

Here's how it works--it's called "disappearing":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Fbdca6PBI

And when I disappeared, so did Ford. That's a pretty good magic trick, if you ask me!

There's some philosophy behind this, gentlemen, that is helping keep me in the game at my advanced age--learn it!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:05 pm 

just my two cents. i feel the best spots to hit from at the riata aren't the ffront two wings.i love the back middle and back far left. you just have vision. the front spots get sucked in the net and shit gets all ugly.

me and jess hit fford up plenty on one game. like ford or 5 times. he was in the middle spot and we were feeding him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:52 pm