All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 6/1/2013 Video
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:13 am 

8)

http://www.watervolleyball.net/AWVP_TV.htm

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm 

that court looks small. is it? or just the camera angle?

looks like an ideal 2s or 3s court to me.

thanks for posting dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 pm 

It's very close to Argosy dimensions. One foot larger in each direction*

*According to Jethro

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 pm 

It does look smaller than Argosy now that I compare the videos, but it's pretty close.

The depth goes from 3'-6" at the ends to 4'-6" at the net

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:24 pm 

looks wider, side to side, but not as long. might just be the angle again. looking forward to playing on it.

is it now sundays there? all i have dis weekend is sunday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:50 pm 

Not all games went the way this one did. Other comments...

As you can see, due to net height, you can do just about anything you want to with a serve. I will point out that Scotty didn't beat me once down the line, and, as the game went on, we tried different things, that didn't work, but at least were different!

Looks like I gave up on a couple of deep balls and moved the wrong way on a couple of plays in the back row, which means that video is instructive.

It's a fun and semi-playable pool. This was what I though when I played there years ago. I will play there again this year, but would like to have a schedule in place. Also, long term, net needs to come up and solid poles need to go in.

I know big dudes think it's fun, and I'm enough of a professional to be willing to eat as many serves as you can throw down at full force, but a lot of newbies might find this discouraging, and there is also the issue of injury potential at the net. Low nets = busted Pandas, and we're already working on a short roster so far this year.

Doing nothing is easiest. Doing something is harder. The latter decision shows leadership, forethought, and organization. This is a southside pool, so I suspect you south siders will have a vested interest in "managing" it. I wish you luck, and will be available for advice and counsel should it be requested, and probably will give it even if it isn't!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:42 pm 

Video #2 is up!

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 am 

Now that's a more "fair and balanced" portrayal, Dan!

Did you speed up that video, or are we actually that fast in real time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am 

I try to be fair and balanced. Much like FOX News. :whitietightie:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 am 

holy crap that net is getting pulled down on every play to start the vid. yikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:12 am 

I diagnosed this net problem at the Field of Deers years ago when I played there.

Solutions have been suggested, but thus far have not be implemented. Nor shall they be, from the lack of interest I've seen.

Apparently, the only remaining option is to ignore the problem.

Other problems will be harder to ignore. There are also already reported disturbances in the force with residents who don't like not being able to float with impunity through an ongoing game, and really don't enjoy the generous offer of a free ticket to pound town, which is all Panda Corps really has to give them.

Welcome to the ranks of AWVP management, south siders. Kobiashi Maru. I am eager to see what your approach to the scenario shall be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 am 

Chief likes to point out problems with Deerfield. We've only played there a handful of times and he's developed this attitude that nothing will ever be done about the net because he's suggested new poles and dog gonnit it hasn't been accomplished yet in the few weeks we've played there. So he looks down upon us with contempt and treats us as if we are failing to properly run a pool in a way that is to his liking. So he will continue to search for problems, nitpick us and jab us with comments about our inferiority. If my memory serves, Chief's plan was for people to sneak into there at night and secretly replace the poles with metal poles that we painted white. As if that is the smart way to do it. I think this should be for a resident to discuss with management. Maybe they will replace them, or maybe they'll be cool with people chipping in to pay for it. I don't think moving in on a new pool and immediately and covertly changing the infrastructure is a good idea.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:21 am 

Point taken, Dan.

All I can go from is my lengthy, but decidedly limited experience. There are two and only two approaches I've seen--mine, and T-bone's.

At Argosy, we secretly and covertly replaced many nets over the years. Even a bent pole, one time (that we didn't bend, btw). Asking nicely didn't work. In the legal world, there are "liability" issues--what if some idiot Panda got hurt doing the job, and management said it was ok? The answer was always, No! And, when the maintenance guys did it, they didn't do it right very often. But that was very much their domain, so constructive suggestions just pissed them off. However, when all was said and done, they never ripped out our work, unless it was one of the multidudinous punishments for the crime of water volleyball being played on a watervolleyball court. They wouldn't even open a bathroom for us!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY-qy-iuXU8

Meanwhile, at the much hated on Riata, T-bone's suggestions are largely honored. They got him a new net, and allow him to adjust it as necessary. They even allow him to use the giant Riata welcome mat to prevent drain pain. Remember the hue and cry at Argosy if we used their mats, or even any of our own?

If you think my "nitpicking" is the only reason Ann Margaret is not coming to Deerfield, you give me far too much credit. Pandas will show up, in great numbers, if you can guarantee 3 things: it's "safe" to show up vis a vis management/residents, it's consistent that when you show up, there will be game, and the court is playable.

All I'm asking is, how many of these questions three I ask of thee, e'er the good ball you desire ye see have you locked down, and what is the strategy that's being developed to do so?

Got a gate code yet, or are incoming players going to shout and wave to be let in? Dead giveaway... Is the bathroom open, or is there still no bathroom? You think I'm the only one who has concerns about that net? You're wrong. In fact, I'd like to take a walk down history lane, and see why Deerfield didn't become a preferred venue to Riata when we first discovered it...

It's quite interesting to see someone besides me have to say, "stop hating and deal with the current situation--we're doing the best we can."

To which I get to say, "Creepy is a poopy head, and I like cheese." And by cheese, I mean playing ball with all 3 of the aforementioned questions taken care of for me, by someone else.

In my time, I had to deal with actual behavior that fucked with the program and made life harder for myself and the future of the corps. All you're dealing with from me is a little constructive criticism.

Thicker skins you shall need to grow, young Chiefawan learners!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:43 am 

Is it worth going to Oltorf and trying out one of the options from the 4/7/2013 AWVP Pool Safari Field Report?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 am 

I found out the gate code. It is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start.

:moon:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 am 

The combination for the restroom is 1-800-CRA-PPER

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 am 

I'll have a serious conversation with residents about the poles next time I'm there.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 am 

Please refrain from all constructive criticism. Just pm the Lip.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 am 

The combination for the air shield is 1-2-3-4-5. I have the same combination on my luggage.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:22 pm 

Dan wrote:
I found out the gate code. It is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start.

:moon:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:54 am 

Glad to see you have it all figured out. Because I was going to broach the subject of where 4th of July ball should take place.

So pleased you were able to take a rather important upcoming American holiday and traditional AWVP event so seriously. I am not in the position to make that decision anymore. And history abhors a vacuum.

Still time for you to provide the cheese, Creepy head, or any other south sider who wants to step up to the plate. But, and the Ronins will no doubt like this, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Where are we going to do the fighting on America's holiest of holy holidays?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJt2N7LSptg

With this thread, I'm making a little circle with the verbal sword. Care to step up, with planning aforethought? If not, Riata it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JInEj95yoUQ

Or perhaps you prefer it this way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cy60odOnUc

Maybe that's why the low net and no plan is acceptable to some of us!

The decision is yours, south side team, not mine. If you're not comfortable with a 4th of July Deerfield event, say so now, because time is ticking. If you are, say so now, so Pandas can be tipped off. I'm not comfortable with testing out a 3rd venue on short notice with no guarantee of success. Making a call at 1pm on July 4 probably ain't going to work for me. Just sayin.

I humbly suggest someone step up and lead, or I will go with what I know, unpalatable as it may be.

Chiefing IS hard, actually. I'm just a player now. Anyone want to tell me where we'll be playing? If not, I have a default in place.

Up to you Creepy Lou Who, or perhaps somebody else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEJbqgfwuY

Who is in authority here???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:00 am 

Still the biggest midget in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQiI5k8FS7A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 am 

Chief wrote:
So pleased you were able to take a rather important upcoming American holiday and traditional AWVP event so seriously.

Who are you talking to? The clockwork elves?

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:11 pm 

Just thinking a few moves ahead. It's a product of PTCD--post traumatic Chief disorder.

I'm used to thinking in ball terms not just one day ahead, but into next week, next month, next year...

So, any plans on where 4th of July ball will be taking place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:40 pm 

6/1/2013 Video #3 is up

8)

My name's Dan